Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Abbey Road and hard rock  (Read 8358 times)

Bobber

Re: Abbey Road and hard rock
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2005, 06:41:14 PM »

Quote from: andersonCouncill

Sounds like a great compilation. Much better than 1. Is it still in print?

The sublabel MFP (Music For Pleasure) has split the album in two separate lp's, obviously called Rock N Roll Music 1 and, yes, Rock N Roll Music 2. I've seen these a lot on secondhand markets and all that.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2005, 08:32:37 PM »

Quote from: Bobber

The sublabel MFP (Music For Pleasure) has split the album in two separate lp's, obviously called Rock N Roll Music 1 and, yes, Rock N Roll Music 2. I've seen these a lot on secondhand markets and all that.

You're right about the MFP releases Bobber but those albums are slightly different as they were remixed by George Martin - apparently he heard the original mixes and was less than pleased, so he re-mixed some of the tracks for the MFP albums.

MFP Volume 1

MFP Volume 2

Bobber

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2005, 06:54:10 AM »

Quote from: The_End

You're right about the MFP releases Bobber but those albums are slightly different as they were remixed by George Martin - apparently he heard the original mixes and was less than pleased, so he re-mixed some of the tracks for the MFP albums.

Thanks, didn't know that.

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2005, 10:08:55 PM »

I've always been very aware of the early origins of hard rock in The Beatles work, even looking back on the beginning when they were more blues-based they were the direct fathers of Zepplin. I just feel that in Abbey Road the hard rock was stronger than most other aspects and most clearly defined.

Led Zeppelin pre-dated Abbey Road by more than a year.....
AND you spelled Zeppelin wrong

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
  • Insanity is just a state of mind
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2005, 10:47:20 PM »

I really can't imagine anything by The Beatles being more pop than rock. I mean, it seems to me when The Beatles are classified as pop its more of an imagery thing than a musical. All the screaming girls at the concerts of 4 cleanly shaven men in business suits. The music has very little pop in it I feel.

hey, i mean it could be said that the beatles were the start of the...boy band. *shudder* but at least they could play instruments. but they are technically pop since they were the most freaking popular music for the decade. but you're right, they are more then pop. they're the start of so many genres. WA alone encompassed so many types of music from country (rocky raccoon) to hard rock(Helter Skelter) to soft rock (long long long) and blues (yer blues), hell you could say that Rev. 9 was an early version of techno. that one album shows who the beatles were: fathers of almost every modern music. abbey road just did hard rock a little better, and is more remembered by non-beatles diehards. WA is just not known as well for its hard rockiness.
«if asking, begging and pleading doesn't work, always go with a song and dance number.» ;D
In need of a computer? visit Coughlin Computers http://coughlincomputers.tripod.com

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2005, 10:55:33 PM »

f*** the boy band idea, that's a load of crap.  New Kids on the Block were a boy band. Not the f***ing Beatles. If another person calls them a boy band I'll have to punch out some kid at random just to get out my anger.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2005, 10:56:59 PM »

Quote from: kevin_b
If I remember rightly all the 70's complilations (love Songs, Rock'n'Roll, Live) had terrible artwork. Suprising since they did soi well on the Red and Blues

The outer cover of love songs was kinda simple but the inside had the greatest pick of them melded together so it looked like a Beatles mountain! Not the greatest artwork, but I can't tell you how many hours I spent staring at that picture when I was a kid.

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
    • Phoebe Claire Publishing, LLC
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2005, 11:12:02 PM »

I think of the Beatles as a proto power-pop Band more than a hard rock band.  I can't think of many truly "hard rock" songs besides "Helter Skelter" and a handful of others.

I love the guitar chimy-ness of Revolver but I don't think of them as "hard rock."  The Stones, the Who, and even the Kinks, were alot "harder" from the 66-69 period than the Beatles ever were.

I think of the Beatles being more tuneful, "arranged"--with less dominance of blues-progession chords.  

In summary:

I believe they were essentially a fifties "rock-n-roll" guitar band devoted at first to Chuck Berry/Gene Vincent/Buddy Holly that morphed via the Everly Brothers into a rock-n-roll guitar band with harmony vocals that morphed via Dylan and pot into a rock-n-roll guitar band with harmony vocals with "artistic" lyrics that morphed via Indian music and "The 60s" and LSD into a rock-n-roll guitar band with harmony vocals with "artistic" lyrics with psychedelic-induced consciousness-raising aspirations that morphed via internal competition/drug abuse/paranoia/fame into a rock-n-roll guitar band with harmony vocals with "artistic" lyrics with psychedelic-induced consciousness-raising aspirations with singer-songwriter introspection/solipsism under which pressure the "band" idea self-destructed.

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2005, 12:29:59 AM »

Quote from: kevin_b
If I remember rightly all the 70's complilations (love Songs, Rock'n'Roll, Live) had terrible artwork. Suprising since they did soi well on the Red and Blues

Ringo got super-p*ssed at Capitol about the cover for "Rock & Roll Music". He said that the Coke bottles, cars with fins, Marilyn, was the 50s, and he couldnt' understand why they wouldn't use John's cover art, saying 'John has more talent in his little finger than all the people at Capitol combined'.

Herecomesyoursun

• A Thousand Pages
  • Shake your tired eyes the world is waiting for you
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2005, 03:54:54 AM »

Quote from: Maccalvr

I don't think it's overrated at all. One of the things about Lennon that made him such a freaking genius was his ability to take a bunch of nonsense words and phrases and turn it into a superior song. I really can't think of many other songs that use this approach. I mean by non-Beatles artisist. Maybe there are, I just can't think of any of the top of my head.

how bout Beck?

[face=Arial]            Give me love, give me peace on Earth...[/face]

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2005, 05:37:00 AM »

Quote from: Herecomesyoursun

how bout Beck?

He doesn't overwhelm me with his so called genius. I mean, I don't see a huge variation between his songs.

Lostio

• Getting Better
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2005, 06:36:13 PM »

Oh, I think Abbey Road and hard rock don't coincide at all!

Track by track:

- Come Together

Hardly has any harmony, so I would definately never call this HARD rock. A bit slow and more upbeat than rock itself.

- Something

A great ballad, but definately not hard rock.

- Maxwell's Silver Hammer

More of a 'pop' song, but never HARD rock...

- Oh! Darling

It's definately more rock than most of the other songs, with Paul's screams and guitar riffs, but I would never qualify this kind of rock as HARD rock...

- Octopus's Garden

More pop if you ask me, with a bit of rock, but not too much...

- I Want You (She's So Heavy)

I think this one might be the only exception. I do think this is hard rock, only not one of the hardest kinds of hard rock.

- Here Comes The Sun

A ballad, definately not hard rock.

- Because

Not sure how to classify this one, a bit of psychadelia and a bit of Indian influences, but not hard rock.

- You Never Give Me Your Money

More pop, a bit rock, and has got a sweet tune to it.

- Sun King

A really pretty and sweet tune, never hard rock.

- Mean Mr. Mustard

I think this one might sound a bit more like hard rock, but I wouldn't classify it that hard. Just classic rock.

- Polythene Pam

Awesome riffs, it is rock, but definately not hard rock....

- She Came In Through The Bathroom Window

I think this might be another exception. Still not one of hardest kinds of hard rock though.

- Golden Slumbers

A pop sounding ballad.

- Carry That Weight

A ballad sounding pop song.

- The End

Really good riffs, but has more of a pop sound to it. If you could classify it as rock, maybe just classic rock.

- Her Majesty

I don't know how to classify this one, but never hard rock.

I think The White Album has way more hard rock sounding songs than Abbey Road.

Herecomesyoursun

• A Thousand Pages
  • Shake your tired eyes the world is waiting for you
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2005, 02:20:29 AM »

Quote from: Maccalvr

He doesn't overwhelm me with his so called genius. I mean, I don't see a huge variation between his songs.

but the style is similar with the lyrics

[face=Arial]            Give me love, give me peace on Earth...[/face]

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2005, 05:06:43 PM »

Quote from: adamzero
I think of the Beatles as a proto power-pop Band more than a hard rock band.

Mean_Mr_Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2005, 11:31:03 PM »

I'm glad The Beatles arent Hard Rock, Zeppelin is annoying Oh yay 10 minute Guitar solos I cant wait, The Rolling Stones.. Hard Rock, The Stones are horrible too. The Beatles are definatley not hard rock.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2005, 11:43:28 PM »

Quote from: Mean_Mr_Mustard
Zeppelin is annoying
BZZZZZZ!

The Stones are horrible too.
BZZZZZZ!

The Beatles are definatley not hard rock.
Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding!

Well, one out of three aint bad.

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2005, 11:50:40 PM »

HA HA HA !!!  :D

What has Mean_Mister_Mustard win? ;D

Mean_Mr_Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2005, 08:18:03 AM »

Maybe for you but for me I was right in all three, we all have different opinions (some have wrong ones) haha just kidding :D :)

Bobber

« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2005, 08:42:28 AM »

To get back to the origins of this thread: AndersonCouncil was not saying Abbey Road is a hard rock album. His point is that certain themes from the album (which might not be hardrockish at all) are later used by hardrock bands. So the thing is not to proof that AR isn't a hard rock album (that's quite obvious), but to proof whether themes and guitarriffs are or are not used in later years by other bands.

Mean_Mr_Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2005, 06:18:38 PM »

Musicians in any type of Rock copy or are influenced the Beatles, thats just the way it is. :D
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 0.286 seconds with 83 queries.