Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: If Paul hadn't thought of Sgt Pepper.  (Read 10577 times)

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
Re: If Paul hadn't thought of Sgt Pepper.
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2008, 09:47:58 AM »

Paul's classical stuff sounds like Andrew Lloyd Webber to my ears , so i hope The Beatles are'nt considerd classical as he wrote half there stuff , it would be a real negative in my book to be lumped in with Mr Lloyd Webber .
To me they are brilliant pop/rock and they should remain in that catogory in my opinion .
I would hate this music only to be heard in pouncy classical concert halls in the future , i would want the kids of the future to play it in sweaty clubs and big festivals  were it belongs .
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2008, 12:45:59 PM »

Quote from: 971
Paul's classical stuff sounds like Andrew Lloyd Webber to my ears , so i hope The Beatles are'nt considerd classical as he wrote half there stuff , it would be a real negative in my book to be lumped in with Mr Lloyd Webber .
To me they are brilliant pop/rock and they should remain in that catogory in my opinion .
I would hate this music only to be heard in pouncy classical concert halls in the future , i would want the kids of the future to play it in sweaty clubs and big festivals  were it belongs .

Andrew Lloyd Webber writes TV advert jingles which are blown up into cartoon opera spectacle; from one point of view it's all harmless fun, but it's also jaw-droppingly silly. I quite agree about rock belonging in a club full of noisy kids, too, and am reminded of how Shakespeare's plays, which are now usually performed in quietly genteel theatres, were originally played amidst the muck and noise of Elizabethan London in outdoor playhouses: being adopted by the cultural establishment helps your longevity, but it also usually makes you quite dull.  :)

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2008, 01:11:01 PM »

^ When I was at the Liverpool Beatlefest a few years ago I was dancing to Hey Jude in The Cavern (as you do) when I noticed the majority of the audience (I'm guessing middle aged americans; there was a preponderance of bum bags (fanny packs), caps and the ultimate crime of t-shirts tucked into jeans) were swaying with their arms outstretched and their eyes closed. Time to go I thought. That was creepy.
don't follow leaders

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2008, 07:33:02 PM »

Pop-rock and rock belong to all people whose mind, heart and soul are young and have stayed young till the older age. The influence is reciprocal!!!!! Such people create rock or make it live by listening to it. While rock makes such people live and want to live a full life!

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
    • Phoebe Claire Publishing, LLC
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2008, 02:07:51 AM »

Quote from: 483

The other album worth mentioning here, that was also recorded at Abbey Road at the same time is 'Piper At The Gates Of Dawn'. Both that and SF Sorrow far more epitomise the era to me than Pepper does. And both Syd Barrett and Phil May really do make Lennon/McCartney seem like the Gilbert & Sullivan of their day.

I think Syd's psychedelic music outdoes John or Paul's.  Fixing a Hole and Lucy in the Sky seem frou-frou compared to Astronomy Domine or Lucifer Sam.  Matilda Mother says more about complexity of parent-child relationships than the sentimental She's Leaving Home.  Interstellar Overdrive is amazing.  Only Within You Without You and A Day in the Life seem on the same intellectual plane as Syd.  The music's also alot less fussy.  For the Benefit of Mr Kite seems like one of the few songs on Pepper that is as unpremeditated as anything on Piper.  And there's nothing as out there as Bike on Pepper.  And tho it's on Saucer full of Secrets there's nothing as gut-wrenching as Jugband Blues.  I think that's what's wrong with Pepper (and the post Syd-Pink Floyd) it lacks blood.  

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2008, 02:11:11 AM »

To me,  it's shaky ground to argue that the Beatles were anything but crafters of fine pop. Others can take the laurels for most psychedelic, or most this or that, but the Beatles take the Gold, Silver and Bronze when it comes to pop music, IMHO  :)
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Bobber

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2008, 07:44:05 AM »

Quote from: 185
^ When I was at the Liverpool Beatlefest a few years ago I was dancing to Hey Jude in The Cavern (as you do) when I noticed the majority of the audience (I'm guessing middle aged americans; there was a preponderance of bum bags (fanny packs), caps and the ultimate crime of t-shirts tucked into jeans) were swaying with their arms outstretched and their eyes closed. Time to go I thought. That was creepy.

LOL!

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2008, 05:24:28 PM »

Quote from: 185

;D

These same people tend to show up at the Hard Rock Cafe just a little south of Dundas and Yonge in Toronto. The oddest thing about them is that they have a habit of using the word "rock" as a verb, as in "you rock" or "rock on," which they shout at each other or at you when you're walking by.

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2008, 08:13:02 PM »

Kevin, i liked what you called the ultimate crime!  ;D

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2008, 08:14:50 PM »

Alexis, let me think that they were not pop but pop-rock. Were they?

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2008, 01:57:08 AM »

Quote from: 1393
Alexis, let me think that they were not pop but pop-rock. Were they?

Hi Jane - You are always so good at asking the great questions! The lads from Liverpool wear so many composing hats ... from pure pop like their first 5 or so hits (help me out here, and I'm going to skip Love Me Do, because I'm not sure what to call it ... From Me to You, Please Please Me, She Loves You, I Want to Hold Your Hand, Hard Day's Night, Eight Days a Week) ...

to rock, like Helter Skelter, Everybody's Got Something to Hide, ...

to pop-rock - like maybe Get Back, Back in the USSR, Day Tripper?

It's so hard to classify, that's what makes it so fine  :) :)
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

wingsman

• Getting Better
  • There is always a reason to live
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2008, 08:20:21 PM »

Hey, Back in the USSR is a straight rock track! :)
I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't eat trash... I work out hard everyday and have a healthy life. And I'm proud of it.

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2008, 01:45:25 AM »

Yea they really rock out on Back in the USSR   8)
<br />

PaulieBear

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tomorrow Never Knows
    • Twitter: Sammi_CoJo
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2008, 02:18:56 AM »

it would have been an interesting album

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2008, 01:17:05 PM »

i think they still would have come up with a great album if Paul hadn't thought of Sgt Pepper.
but i really can't imagine what it would have been like?? who knows

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2008, 02:05:56 PM »

Alexis, I agree, sometimes they are pop, sometimes rock, so...- they`re pop-rock. However, remember what John said after the disbanding, kind of: So, what? Just another rock band is not there...He would have wanted the group to be rock.
To answer the question in the thread - If it hadn`t been Sgt Pepper, it would have been some other Mr. Great. They were prolific those days.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2008, 03:37:08 PM »

If Paul haden't thought of Sgt Pepper, The Beach Boys would have probably gone ahead and released Smile. Who knows? Maybe they would enjoy the level of success that the Beatles now have today.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

PaulieBear

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tomorrow Never Knows
    • Twitter: Sammi_CoJo
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2008, 01:23:02 AM »

actually, besides the fact of the Sgt.Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band start and reprise I think the album would have the same songs just with a different title. I mean the only "themed" songs were those two.
With a Little Help... may have been different but then again it went with the SPLHCB beginning.

other than that I think it would still be considered their "trippy" album.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2008, 08:35:44 AM »

Quote from: 483

And both Syd Barrett and Phil May really do make Lennon/McCartney seem like the Gilbert & Sullivan of their day.

I listened to the Velvet Underground and Nico (March 67 ) last night. Hard to believe that it was made in the same decade, let alone the same year. I love The Beatles, but this makes them sound like The Tweenies. I would say VU provided far more of a blueprint for the future than Pepper
don't follow leaders

BlueMeanie

« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2008, 08:53:09 AM »

Many artists were far more experimental than The Beatles in the 60's, even before Revolver. I'd say they should be credited with popularising, rather than influencing.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 0.293 seconds with 90 queries.