Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Was Please Please Me A Number One?  (Read 9639 times)

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
Was Please Please Me A Number One?
« on: May 17, 2004, 01:14:07 AM »

I think so, YES!

It REALLY bugs the crap outa me that all of a sudden EMI/Apple have decided that Please Please Me DIDN'T get to number one afterall! They maintained for years that it did make the top slot, and then they go and leave it off the "1" CD.

Please Please Me reached number one in the BBC chart, Disc, Melody Maker, New Musical Express (NME) and Record Mirror. In only ONE British chart did it appear at number 2: the Record Retailer, which later became Music Week.

Record Retailer, the charts used by Guinness in their "Hit Singles" book, are NOT the charts everyone looked to in 1963 - the "official" chart was the one in the NME.

Throughout the sleeve-notes on the Please Please Me LP it mentions the Beatles chart-topper, and in Anthology The Beatles themselves believe their second single was number one. So why now have EMI/Apple given up the fight? Why has Please Please Me been relegated to number 2?

One more thing... because Guinness chose to use a different chart to everyone else, we now have to live with the fact that Elvis has had one more number one than The Beatles!

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Re: Was Please Please Me A Number One?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2004, 11:58:49 PM »

[quote by=The_End link=Blah.pl?b=songs,m=1084756447,s=0 date=1084756447]One more thing... because Guinness chose to use a different chart to everyone else, we now have to live with the fact that Elvis has had one more number one than The Beatles![/quote]

I thought the Beatles won this 28 to 18 (I include Please Please Me so YES to the original question). I looked this up a year or so ago and now i'm forced to do so again.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2004, 12:05:54 AM »

I must have my head up my rear or something. Here's Elvis's list (UK though). I know where i'm going wrong. The Beatles didnt release all of those number ones as singles. Is this correct TE?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/2049152.stm

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2004, 01:01:14 AM »

I'm confused and drunk, so i'll attempt this question in the morning/afternoon! ;D

NGM

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2004, 12:35:00 AM »

I thought Elvis had 23 #1 singles.. wtf.

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2004, 02:05:31 AM »

The Beatles had more of SOMEthing, conversely Elvis had more of SOMEthing as well...the difference is between singles, albums and #1's.

There.  THAT's a difinitive answer.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2004, 02:45:17 AM »

[quote by=misterchaz link=Blah.pl?b=songs,m=1084756447,s=5 date=1085018731]The Beatles had more of SOMEthing, conversely Elvis had more of SOMEthing as well...the difference is between singles, albums and #1's.

There.

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2004, 08:51:53 AM »

[quote by=NGM link=Blah.pl?b=songs,m=1084756447,s=4 date=1085013300]I thought Elvis had 23 #1 singles.. wtf.[/quote]

We have to make sure which country we're talking about.
In Britain the Beatles had 17 or 18.
As for Elvis he had 17, but if 'A liitle less conversation' got to number one then he's had 18 too.
That's why the Please,Please Me question is so important.

p.s. I agree with everything T.E. said at the beginning.

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2004, 10:37:26 AM »

please please me made it to 17 on the chrts here in the americas

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2004, 10:48:07 AM »

I didnt think it even charted in the US to be honest, but I know little about it without looking it up.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2004, 10:50:04 AM »

My bad. I just looked it up and when it was re-released on 30/01/1964 it made it to number 3 in the US. At least thats what I read here-

http://www.maccafan.net/Charts/CompleteBeatlesMaccaCharts.htm

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2004, 05:52:28 PM »

Yeah, sorry - I should have made myself more clear - I was referring to UK number ones. Little Less Conversation DID get to number one here in the UK, so that means Elvis has had one more than the Beatles due to the Please Please Me chart fiasco!

NGM

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2004, 09:56:11 PM »

Sorry, I'm a newb.. how exactly does a song reach #1 on the charts?

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2004, 10:13:33 PM »

[quote by=The_End link=Blah.pl?b=songs,m=1084756447,s=11 date=1085075548]Yeah, sorry - I should have made myself more clear - I was referring to UK number ones. Little Less Conversation DID get to number one here in the UK, so that means Elvis has had one more than the Beatles due to the Please Please Me chart fiasco![/quote]

Sounds like a CIA plot to me.
Maybe a re-vibed PPM could do the trick with girlie singers and DJ magic.

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2004, 10:34:40 PM »

[quote by=zipp link=Blah.pl?b=songs,m=1084756447,s=13 date=1085091213]Maybe a re-vibed PPM could do the trick with girlie singers and DJ magic.
[/quote]

Ermm.... nah! Leave it at number two then! ;D

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2004, 01:45:24 AM »

i heard there was once a waltzy version of please please me recorded but it was lost some how.
i think please please me is one of my favorite albums. commerically released.it was done all in one day i understand.is that true........no there were over dubs??

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2004, 11:54:01 AM »

There were a few overdubs - piano, harmonica and handclaps were added to some tracks.

Wolf

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2004, 02:35:07 PM »

[quote by=NGM link=Blah.pl?b=songs,m=1084756447,s=12 date=1085090171]Sorry, I'm a newb.. how exactly does a song reach #1 on the charts?[/quote]

In the UK Charts, it has to sell more copies in at least one week than any other single in the country. It`s slightly different in the US, where airplay also is a factor.

Wolf

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2004, 02:45:34 PM »

[quote by=The_End link=Blah.pl?b=songs,m=1084756447,s=0 date=1084756447]I think so, YES!

It REALLY bugs the crap outa me that all of a sudden EMI/Apple have decided that Please Please Me DIDN'T get to number one afterall! They maintained for years that it did make the top slot, and then they go and leave it off the "1" CD.

Please Please Me reached number one in the BBC chart, Disc, Melody Maker, New Musical Express (NME) and Record Mirror. In only ONE British chart did it appear at number 2: the Record Retailer, which later became Music Week.

Record Retailer, the charts used by Guinness in their "Hit Singles" book, are NOT the charts everyone looked to in 1963 - the "official" chart was the one in the NME.

Throughout the sleeve-notes on the Please Please Me LP it mentions the Beatles chart-topper, and in Anthology The Beatles themselves believe their second single was number one. So why now have EMI/Apple given up the fight? Why has Please Please Me been relegated to number 2?

One more thing... because Guinness chose to use a different chart to everyone else, we now have to live with the fact that Elvis has had one more number one than The Beatles![/quote]

You are indeed right - it`s ridiculous to make it seem as it was only a #2 hit, when it hit #1 in 5 of 6 charts published back then.

The Beatles had 17 #1 hits in Record Retailer (used by Guinness), 18 #1 hits in the NME chart and 19 #1 hits in Melody Maker. 

Wolf

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2004, 02:48:25 PM »

Here`s a closer look at the chart peaks of Beatles singles and albums in the various British charts published back in the 1960s:

SINGLES

Love Me Do
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.284 seconds with 74 queries.