Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Paul McCartney biography - 'A Life' - by Peter Ames Carlin  (Read 3398 times)

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
Paul McCartney biography - 'A Life' - by Peter Ames Carlin
« on: February 07, 2012, 12:44:28 PM »

Did anyone read this book? I read Peter Carlin's other book, which was Brian Wilson's biography and I was pleasantly surprised. So I was thinking about buying this one, too. Any opinions/recommendations?

http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
Re: Paul McCartney biography - 'A Life' - by Peter Ames Carlin
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 10:42:47 PM »

I read this about a year ago, and it was a fairly neutral read. I didn't really learn anything new, but it was interesting and did not have an obvious pro- or anti-Paul slant, which was nice. The author put himself into Paul's shoes, so to speak, a few times (e.g., at the moment of Linda's death), which bothered me because Paul seems like such a private person that I'm assuming these descriptions were created by the author. (Some books on the Titanic have taken these liberties, and it irks me.)

On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd probably give it a 6 or so. This probably doesn't help much; sorry!

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
Re: Paul McCartney biography - 'A Life' - by Peter Ames Carlin
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 11:15:50 AM »

I read this about a year ago, and it was a fairly neutral read. I didn't really learn anything new, but it was interesting and did not have an obvious pro- or anti-Paul slant, which was nice. The author put himself into Paul's shoes, so to speak, a few times (e.g., at the moment of Linda's death), which bothered me because Paul seems like such a private person that I'm assuming these descriptions were created by the author. (Some books on the Titanic have taken these liberties, and it irks me.)

On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd probably give it a 6 or so. This probably doesn't help much; sorry!

Thanks Normandie for the replay. I think I'll get it, anyway. :)
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

Page created in 0.247 seconds with 39 queries.