Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: the British superiority in rock  (Read 4560 times)

Bacchus

• A Beginning
  • I've got a feeling
the British superiority in rock
« on: June 05, 2004, 12:20:37 PM »

First of i'm a yank but Let's face it the british brought a certain sophistication to rock and expanded the genre melodically.After thinking about it almost all my favorite bands are british.I think they got us beat:The beatles,the stones,the who,led zeppelin,jethro tull,sabbath,yes,moody blues,pink floyd,deep purple,traffic,cream....man the redcoats kicked our asses! ;D
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Wayne L.

Re: the British superiority in rock
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2004, 12:31:26 PM »

It's true that England has produced great legendary rock bands like the Beatles, the Stones, the Who, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath & Deep Purple but the USA has produced GREAT legendary rock bands as well from the Beach Boys, the Byrds, the Eagles, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Aerosmith & Kiss.

Bacchus

• A Beginning
  • I've got a feeling
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2004, 12:38:15 PM »

[quote by=Wayne_L. link=Blah.pl?b=conversations,m=1086438037,s=1 date=1086438686]It's true that England has produced great legendary rock bands like the Beatles, the Stones, the Who, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath & Deep Purple but the USA has produced GREAT legendary rock bands as well from the Beach Boys, the Byrds, the Eagles, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Aerosmith & Kiss. [/quote]
True,ofcourse America produced a lot of great bands no doubt.With the exception of kiss all those bands you mentioned were great, i would add the allman brothers and the grateful dead.But i just don't think they compare to the british contribution.

Wayne L.

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2004, 12:51:54 PM »

I agree with you about the Allman Bros. & the Grateful Dead but I think Kiss is greatlegendary rock band with timeless rock classics like Rock & Roll Alnight, Detroit Rock City & I Want You speaking as an old fan from the 70's if the critics WOULD forget about the makeup & the tongue of Gene Simmons.

Ssarah

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2004, 03:27:08 PM »

Yeah we had the British Invasion where a whole bunch of British groups came over and were really popular... But we still have Elvis... so you know. (not that I really like Elvis hehe)   I don't think they have more beat...I think its all about the same...
Beatle Ssarah on the forum,
Everyday she posts some more on.
Sometimes triv and sometimes questions,
Chooses tracks and lists the best uns!

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2004, 03:50:17 PM »

The Brits were copying American rock to begin with, even the fabs.

Both continents had good solid rock and blues bases and produced fine bands.  I do not think the UK was better, or if it was it was small spurts of time.

Bacchus

• A Beginning
  • I've got a feeling
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2004, 03:50:33 PM »

[quote by=Ssarah link=Blah.pl?b=conversations,m=1086438037,s=4 date=1086449228]Yeah we had the British Invasion where a whole bunch of British groups came over and were really popular... But we still have Elvis... so you know. (not that I really like Elvis hehe)

Bruno

• A Thousand Pages
  • The choice is yours, don't be late
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2004, 04:07:02 PM »

I think the UK has produced better bands

---powered by Moondogs®---

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2004, 04:13:23 PM »

I think there are a great deal of mutual influences on either side of the Atlantic - but the US gave us Rock 'n' Roll, and without that we would all be discussing Star Trek or something! ;D

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2004, 05:08:17 PM »

Plus you have to identify which period you're on about.  The pro Brits are tending to id the late 60's into the 70's, when the "heavier" bands ruled, and they were indeed often Brit (I wonder why?).  And tho the Beatles started the earlier Brit invasion, the rest of the world rose to the occasion quickly and soon the charts were full of great music (well, pop anyway) from many countries.

Bacchus

• A Beginning
  • I've got a feeling
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2004, 05:29:10 PM »

Point is ,the english bands..kinda did it better.hell i love american music,all genres,but when it comes to rock i think the brits brought more to the table for my liking anyways.i don't know what it is in the english blood(which i share,lol)but they brought a certain sensitivity to it,and a touch of the mystical,which  seemed to be lacking in early americana.

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2004, 07:21:20 PM »

No such thing as 'doing it better'.  The bands themselves would probably disagree, as most of their heroes were the Americans.

Purely a subjective opinion, based on what you like and the era you're talking about.

Wayne L.

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2004, 08:54:14 PM »

Herman's Hermits, Dave Clark Five, Gerry & The Pacemakers & Freddie & The Dreamers were kind of the N-Sync & Backstreet Boys of THEIR time in between the important & influential British bands like the Beatles & the Kinks proving there was NOT any superiority from England.

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2004, 09:24:23 PM »

English, American, who cares? This sort labelling is silly. Is the band good? Then it doesn't matter, AT ALL, where they come from.

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2004, 02:45:11 AM »

True but if we all agreed then there'd be nothing to talk about.

strutter84

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2004, 06:10:09 AM »

The Americans have so many great blues artists and early rock bands like Robert Johnson, Son House, Robert Jr. Lockwood, Muddy Waters, B.B. King, Skip James, etc.  Plus such great rock legends as Jerry Lee Lewis, Elvis, Chuck Berry, Bo Didley, Little Richard, Fats Domino, etc.  But I do enjoy the British Bands more.  The only American band that was as good as the other British bands after the 1960's was the Allman Brothers Band.  Even today, the best band around is Oasis.  There's something about the English that they just seem to do Rock and Roll better than us yanks do.

Crazy Diamond

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2004, 10:15:08 AM »

Neil Young (Canada) and The Doors are as good as British bands, too. And I think The Stooges are from America.

Bacchus

• A Beginning
  • I've got a feeling
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2004, 04:40:29 PM »

My initial point is that i don't think america could have produced the british heavy hitters
that we love so much.I would never say american rock isn't good,that's not what i was getting at at all.america has produced a lot of great rock,hell it started here.i just think if you compare say aerosmith or van halen to led zeppelin i would say zep is more mythic,more sophisticated and colorful and not so common.the english bands just went a little deeper
had a better melodic sense.anyway that's just my humble observation.

Naoki

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2004, 06:49:49 PM »

Well... I agree that britain did release alot better bands than america... I know this has nothing to do with the time period we're talking about but america Has nirvana...  except i dont qiute agree with there little quote "we're goign to be bigger than the beatles" because well... saldy i think nirvana was running out of ideas for songs... BUT i still love nirvana

Crazy Diamond

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2004, 11:01:55 AM »

Nirvana is okay. America had The Doors. :D
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 72 queries.