Other forums > Current Affairs

Earthquake in Japan

<< < (6/6)

nyfan(41):

--- Quote from: Gary910 on March 24, 2011, 04:04:34 PM ---It is amazing to me that with the devastation in Japan how quickly the news media moves on. It has unfortunately become a side story now. I feel for the people and their misery is now overshadowed by the events in Libya.
The Japanese people are strong and they will recover. The things going on there are terrible and they deserve whatever help they can get.

--- End quote ---
-
-
what do you base that on?
truthfully i haven't followed the story that closely
i just googled and it said:
death toll is about 10,000 so far
about 15,000 missing
maybe 400,000 displaced
and 240 billion needed to rebuild the country
- but japan is an extremely wealthy nation
-
-
haiti's earthquake death toll was over 200,000
-
the earthquake in pakistan 5 years ago most likely killed over 100,000  - > that one didn't get so much press/sympathy for whatever reason
-
iraqi civilians dead in the iraqi war is over 100,000
-
hurrican katrina death toll was less than 2,000 -> that got alot of coverage though
-
9/11 death toll was less than 3,000
-
the death toll in darfur sudan related to their conflict is over 200,000
-
for that matter,
over 20 million people in africa have aids
-
and so on and foreverforth. it's actually pretty subjective when you notice who 'feels' for who and what gets on the front page when

i really don't understand your comment
when should it be a side story?... next week? never?
and what does 'deserve help' mean?
i'm lost here
sorry, not trying to be an ^$$hole but what do you really expect from the press and why does a japanese person deserve help more than anyone else who suffers? you sound brainwashed

Gary910:
I think you misunderstood what I was saying.

I don't think anyone deserves help above another. I was just commenting that they are still suffering and there is mass devastation and the mainstream press moves on so quickly. I don't really know a good timetable for moving on. I just have a lot of compassion for these people and their suffering.

nyfan(41):
i hear you
as far as media coverage tho i think they make more money off charlie sheen
real talk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version