Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 33

Author Topic: Bob Dylan!  (Read 128175 times)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Re: Bob Dylan!
« Reply #340 on: November 03, 2013, 07:06:52 AM »

I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #341 on: November 03, 2013, 07:07:16 AM »

Edie Sedgwick (It's all over now Baby Blue) video

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #342 on: November 03, 2013, 07:32:57 AM »

Visions Of Johanna

https://vimeo.com/30256466

The ghost of electricity howls in the bones of her face

Where these visions of Johanna have now taken my place.

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #343 on: November 03, 2013, 08:02:20 AM »

I'm a big, big fan of Bob and there were days in the last year or so when all I needed were his albums. I have listened to everything up to 'New Morning' (+ 'Blood On The Tracks' and 'Desire') and nothing has disappointed so far.

People say that it's only lyrics that he's good at, but come on, can good words and good words alone make you so successful in the music business? I don't think so. As revealed by 'Blonde on Blonde' - album where few of the lyrics actually make sense when taken literally - Bob's songs are more than just that. His way of singing (he's a vastly underrated singer), the atmosphere/mood/feeling he creates through everything (lyrics, intonations, melody) and the way he picks his backing musicians, always suitable for the songs in question... He's a master; an artist in a class of his own.

'Blonde on Blonde' is without a doubt his peak, but 'John Wesley Harding' comes very close in my list of favourites. It's his most harrowing, haunting and emotional album. 'I Dreamed I Saw St. Augustine' is a big choker for me, and I suggest everybody who hasn't heard the album, to at least give that one song a few listens.

Another favourite songs would be Masters of War, A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall, My Back Pages, Spanish Harlem Incident, I Shall Be Free(/10), Mr. Tambourine Man, It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding), Ballad of A Thin Man, Desolation Row, Visions of Johanna, Stuck Inside of Mobile..., 4th Time Around, Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands, Dear Landlord, I Pity The Poor Immigrant, I Threw It All Away, New Morning, Days of '49, Tangled Up In Blue, Idiot Wind, If You See Her, Say Hello, One More Cup Of Coffee and Sara.

Can't wait to get to explore the rest of his discography. But all in good time.
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

KelMar

« Reply #344 on: November 03, 2013, 06:11:41 PM »

Visions Of Johanna

The ghost of electricity howls in the bones of her face

Where these visions of Johanna have now taken my place.

It seems that interpretations of this song abound but one thing is clear; Dylan was going through major emotional turmoil when he wrote it.

KelMar

« Reply #345 on: November 03, 2013, 06:18:47 PM »

I'm a big, big fan of Bob and there were days in the last year or so when all I needed were his albums.

For years I've been on the fence about Bob Dylan but all of a sudden he clicked for me. I must admit that his lyrics were what really made me see the light but I agree with you that he's much more than just that.

Can't wait to get to explore the rest of his discography. But all in good time.

You're much further along in your journey than I am. I'm glad that there are other fans here to help me along.  :)

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #346 on: November 03, 2013, 07:20:06 PM »

You're much further along in your journey than I am.

Even so, there are still many, many records waiting to be explored. 33 studio albums, 11 live albums and then there's the 10 Bootleg Series! Quite a hard-working guy, wasn't he? Even with all the bad reviews I've read about some of his records, I still can't wait to hear them all. Stopping at a certain point in an artist's discography (especially with the ones I like so much) is, to me, like leaving a book unfinished. Once you've embraced on the journey, there's no turning back.

I'm glad that there are other fans here to help me along.  :)

What have you heard so far, Kelley?

KelMar

« Reply #347 on: November 03, 2013, 10:38:46 PM »

Stopping at a certain point in an artist's discography (especially with the ones I like so much) is, to me, like leaving a book unfinished. Once you've embraced on the journey, there's no turning back.

Yes!

What have you heard so far, Kelley?

To be honest Ovi, I've gotten most of my Dylan through Pandora radio. I did get the "No Direction Home" CDs because I went nuts trying to find its version of "Stuck Inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again" on YouTube. I like the extra organ bits! But I know I need to listen to the other albums, in order. Starting with bootlegs is totally backwards. LOL Oh yeah, I have listened to "Memphis Skyline". The library I work at still has some vinyl so I borrowed that one...last November! I guess I ought to take it back, huh?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 10:40:22 PM by In My Life »

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #348 on: November 04, 2013, 02:40:43 AM »

It seems that interpretations of this song abound but one thing is clear; Dylan was going through major emotional turmoil when he wrote it.

One thing we do know, he wrote Visions Of Johanna in late 1965.  He recorded the song with The Hawks who were later to become The Band.  The working title of the song was Seems Like A Freeze Out... 

Freeze Out 1 (VOJ outtake) -Dylan

Bob Dylan recorded Visions Of Johanna in February 1966 with the back-up musicians I listed on the previous page of this thread.  That's what appears on Blonde On Blonde.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #349 on: November 04, 2013, 02:50:31 AM »

A couple of years ago...

Visions of Johanna

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #350 on: November 04, 2013, 04:57:41 AM »

By the way, that Eight Elvises painting that you see up there in that picture of Bob Dylan and Andy Warhol sold for $100,000,000 in 2008.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #351 on: November 04, 2013, 05:27:42 AM »

Talk about clues, there are a bunch of them on the cover of Bringing It All Back Home (1965)...

Bob Dylan - It's All Over Now, Baby Blue

Looks like The Beatles got that idea from Bob Dylan.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #352 on: November 04, 2013, 05:56:10 AM »

It's interesting that this song follows Visions Of Johanna on Blonde On Blonde...

One Of Us Must Know (Sooner Or Later)

Bob Dylan- One Of Us Must Know (Sooner Or Later) 2010 Mono Recording

KelMar

« Reply #353 on: November 04, 2013, 06:49:16 PM »

One Of Us Must Know (Sooner Or Later)

Why just one? It might be better if both know. Anyway, I'm ready for something that makes me smile and makes perfect sense. He does that very well too:

http://youtu.be/7WCMw9zW5gE

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #354 on: November 04, 2013, 07:10:48 PM »

^

Ah!  His Woody Guthrie phase...

Talkin' World War III Blues

Talkin' World War III Blues

Talkin' Dust Bowl Blues

Woody Guthrie - Talkin' Dust Bowl Blues.AVI

Woody Guthrie   1936

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #355 on: November 04, 2013, 07:23:22 PM »

Why just one? It might be better if both know.

But then he wouldn't be enigmatic, would he?

I can't say for sure.  All that's known is that he was living with his pregnant wife Sara at The Chelsea Hotel in NYC when he wrote Visions Of Johanna.

KelMar

« Reply #356 on: November 05, 2013, 05:23:52 AM »

But then he wouldn't be enigmatic, would he?

No, I guess not. It's neat to try and figure him out but when I actually have to relate to someone, I would much prefer candor. Guessing isn't fun then.

I can't say for sure.  All that's known is that he was living with his pregnant wife Sara at The Chelsea Hotel in NYC when he wrote Visions Of Johanna.

I wonder if the marriage was the result of the pregnancy instead of the other way around. If so, he may have gone into matrimony with a lot of unresolved feelings. Or not! So I guess that it's okay if I don't really get the song, huh?

KelMar

« Reply #357 on: November 05, 2013, 05:31:39 AM »

^

Ah!  His Woody Guthrie phase...

I guess I'm a Woody Guthrie phase Bob Dylan fan. I like the songs that tell a story. I might have to do a little research to understand them but I do eventually understand.

http://youtu.be/-hygKtKhSLc

I came across "Song to Woody" when I was researching the story behind this one (It was actually Arlo's version that I heard first):

http://youtu.be/oz7oguguIZE

KelMar

« Reply #358 on: November 05, 2013, 05:39:23 AM »

Another very poignant one:

http://youtu.be/Vs1X9vdz-nM

Hattie Carroll

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #359 on: November 05, 2013, 05:48:35 PM »

To be honest Ovi, I've gotten most of my Dylan through Pandora radio. I did get the "No Direction Home" CDs because I went nuts trying to find its version of "Stuck Inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again" on YouTube. I like the extra organ bits! But I know I need to listen to the other albums, in order. Starting with bootlegs is totally backwards. LOL Oh yeah, I have listened to "Memphis Skyline". The library I work at still has some vinyl so I borrowed that one...last November! I guess I ought to take it back, huh?

Ah, the famous country album (it's called Nashville Skyline btw  :)). Very interesting chapter in both his life and career. His "croon" voice from that period of time has to be heard in order to be believed.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 33

Page created in 1.396 seconds with 82 queries.