Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Learning Disability And Dyslexia?  (Read 4203 times)

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
Re: Learning Disability And Dyslexia?
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2005, 04:38:52 AM »

Quote from: Mairi
No, that wasn't boring. It was actually very interesting. I guess you have to learn all that stuff being a teacher, eh?

No, you don't really have to learn that stuff being a general ed. teacher. I was a special ed. teacher for years though. I had an LD class. Very interesting stuff. I mean, you could go insane really. Not from the LD kids, but the kids they put in there because the general ed. teachers can't stand them.

JonnyMoondog

• A Beginning
  • I am he.
    • Music Site
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2005, 03:26:10 PM »

Quote from: Maccalvr
Oh, I know you didn't. i just put it there as an in general type of thing. I certainly wasn't directing it at you. Sorry if that's what it looked like.

I didn't think it was a "you don't know the difference" type comment, I just wanted to say that I knew the difference :) lol
http://www.suedeapple.co.uk/rev - Check it out, it's my website.

freakchic9

• A Thousand Pages
  • =D
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2008, 01:34:39 AM »

I was browsing this art site for Beatle ideas and there was a necklace that said, "John Lennon had dyslexia." I have a feeling this is false, but will someone tell me if this really is true?

8)
<|\
 |
 ^

Too cool, yah?

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2008, 01:59:44 AM »

I wouldn't be surprised if he had some sort of disability, he was always famous for messing up words, even on the albums!

Oh, and here's one of the few jokes I know, hope you like it!!

Did you hear about the agnostic insomniac dyslexic?  He would stay up all night wondering if there really was a Dog  :)
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2008, 03:53:45 AM »

Maybe that's why he sang backward lyrics in several songs.
I can stay till it's time to go

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2008, 03:55:11 AM »

^  ;D

Was Albert Goldman the first person to claim that John was dyslexic? If so, has anybody more reliable done so and provided evidence?

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2008, 12:20:40 PM »

The claim that John was dyslexic may originate with Albert Goldman:

Concerning the author's account of Lennon's consumption of LSD, the New York Review of Books said: "Goldman's background research was either slovenly or nonexistent." As such, The Lives of John Lennon was extremely controversial upon its release because of its portrayal of Lennon in a less-than-admiring light. Lennon was presented in the book as an extremely talented, but also extremely needy, duplicitous and deeply flawed man, who manipulated people and relationships throughout his life, flinging them aside when they were no longer useful to him. Goldman also suggested that Lennon was an anti-Semite, and that he was dyslexic and a schizophrenic; such claims had never been made before. The book has been criticized by Lennon fans for allegedly containing much unsubstantiated conjecture, and tending to present worst-case scenarios when doing so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lives_of_John_Lennon

If this is the case, the claim is at best unsubstantiated: Goldman is hardly reliable. A review of his book is available here:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=940DE6D8143CF931A2575AC0A96E948260

Joe

• A Beginning
    • The Beatles Bible
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2008, 09:41:26 AM »

Quote from: 216
People who qualify as having a learning disability are always of average to above average intelligence. In schools, if they are below average intelligence, they wouldn't be labeled learning disabled. People with learning disabilities have the potential to achieve if they are given strategies and accommodations that help them compensate for their learning disability. People who are below average intelligence do not have a discrepancy between what they are achieving and what they are capable of. If that makes sense. BTW, ADD/ADHD is not a learning disability. But about half the people with ADD/ADHD are also LD. Okay, I'll stop boring people now.

I know this is an old comment, but I'm fairly new to this site. My wife (a clinical psychologist) has a relative with learning disabilities. It's suspected that she was brain damaged at birth. My wife carried out a WAIS test on her, which revealed that she has an IQ of around 55.

It'd be wrong to suggest that she has the potential to achieve what a normal person does. Contrary to your suggestion, she is not of average to above average intelligence. Perhaps here in the UK 'learning disabilities' is a term which is used differently in other countries.

Ah, this makes more sense: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Learning_disability - it states that the US and Canada define LD in different ways to the UK: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Developmental_disability

Either way, Lennon was born in the UK, Goldman was an American writer, so we should perhaps be circumspect when commenting on unproven diagnoses  :X
http://www.beatlesbible.com - come and say hi, and PM me any suggestions. It's a work in progress but you'll get the idea...

cubanheel

• Getting Better
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2008, 09:40:39 AM »

JUST A THOUGHT:

Perhaps he wasn't dyslexic, he just was ahead of his time yet again  -  kids are now encouraged to learn to read and write phonetically these days, and some of the results I have read from my kids' friends have been hilarious! You have to read some of them out loud or they don't make any sense at all!! But they still have spelling tests, so I think it's a bit confusing for the poor little dears.(dunce)
...once there was a way to get back homeward ...
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.448 seconds with 63 queries.