Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Song Of The Week - Wait  (Read 4796 times)

nimrod

Song Of The Week - Wait
« on: March 19, 2014, 11:21:03 PM »

It's been a long time, now I'm coming back home.
I've been away now, oh, how I've been alone.

Wait till I come back to your side,
we'll forget the tears we cried.

But if your heart breaks, don't wait, turn me away.
And if your heart's strong, hold on, I won't delay.

I feel as though you ought to know
that I've been good, as good as I can be.
And if you do, I'll trust in you
and know that you will wait for me.

It's been a long time, now I'm coming back home,

I feel as though you ought to know
that I've been good, as good as I can be.
And if you do, I'll trust in you
and know that you will wait for me.

But if your heart breaks, don't wait, turn me away.
And if your heart's strong, hold on, I won't delay.

It's been a long time, now I'm coming back home,

"Wait" is a song recorded by the Beatles, from their 1965 album Rubber Soul. The songwriting credit is Lennon–McCartney, and the song is usually said to be a joint effort between the two, although in the 1997 book, Many Years from Now, McCartney recalls it as entirely his.

It was written while The Beatles were filming Help! in the Bahamas, and was originally intended for inclusion in the soundtrack. Paul McCartney recalled writing the song in the presence of actor and former child star Brandon de Wilde.

"He was a nice guy who was fascinated by what we did. A sort of Brat Pack actor. We chatted endlessly, and I seem to remember writing Wait in front of him, and him being interested to see it being written. I think it was my song. I don't remember John collaborating too much on it, although he could have."
Paul McCartney
Many Years From Now, Barry Miles

Released: 3 December 1965 (UK), 6 December 1965 (US)

Personnel

John Lennon – double track vocal, rhythm guitar
Paul McCartney – double track vocal, bass
George Harrison – lead guitar
Ringo Starr – drums, maracas, tambourine

Personnel per Ian MacDonald

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Re: Song Of The Week - Wait
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 02:47:22 AM »

I didn't learn until a few years ago that Wait was recorded during the Help! sessions.  However, it fits the mood and tenor of Rubber Soul.  I'm happy it was chosen to complete the track list.  It's just where it belongs on this "maturing Beatles" album.

I'm one of those who believes Wait is a John and Paul collaboration with John writing the verses and refrain and Paul the bridge.  I like how guitars are subtracted in the outro leaving just Paul's base and Ringo's tambourine as the last line slows...and then we hear George's tone pedal guitar return along with Ringo's cymbals.  So beautiful!

The Beatles- 12- Wait (2009 Mono Remaster)

I can stay till it's time to go

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 03:05:56 AM »

I've always liked Wait even if by Beatle standards it's basically filler. The build up from the short verses to the chorus is effective. The middle 8 has a pleasant minorish melody.

It has a very sparse instrumental track. The drums are pretty much the most prominent backing.  A proto Plastic Ono Band arrangement.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 06:27:30 AM »

Yes, Moog, drums and tambourine.

Lately, I've been concentrating on Paul's bassline.  This was an easy one to learn, Kev.  This was a good lesson video...

Wait Bass Cover - The Beatles

I've got to get out that ToneLab I bought a couple of years ago!

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 06:40:51 AM »

I always skip it - very uninteresting and boring to these ears. It's specifically because of this, Run For Your Life and What Goes On that I've never been able to get why some consider Rubber Soul to be their best album. Sorry.
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 09:20:27 AM »

Great energy, very original. Again, I think they were at their best at that period.

:)

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 10:04:45 AM »

One of the gems in the catalogue and all the better for being underplayed when compared to, say, 'Drive My Car' or (the rather over-rated) 'In My Life'.
Would have made a fantastic Beatles b-side, and yet any R&B/Mod group c.65/66 would have killed to have it as an a-side.

nimrod

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 12:11:36 PM »

I think the thing about 'Wait' is its one of those un commercial but incredibly interesting songs they wrote, Ask Me Why, Not A Second Time, PS I Love You, I'll Be Back etc I love all these songs, they are musically very interesting and kind of solemn and serious, showing a introspective side to Lennon & McCartney......Wait fit the mood of Rubber Soul so well, it was a well crafted LP and these songs were well crafted, all of them.

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 12:40:32 PM »

Never really liked it much. IMO wrong for Rubber Soul. With it's less mature lyrics it belongs on an earlier album or given to another artist. It was used as a filler anyway as they were down to their Christmas deadline so they fixed it and stuck it in to make the 14 songs for the album.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 12:51:54 PM »

I actually like Wait. First Beatle tune that I really tried to learn spot on with the drums. Its not a great song by any stretch, but I enjoy it for some reason.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 08:27:48 PM »

I'm kind of neutral on "Wait." I like it; I never skip it, but I don't count it among my favorites.

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 08:33:55 PM »

Just a suggestion: it would be interesting if you'd add a poll to each of these threads with thumbs up/thumbs down/neutral choices or something like that in order to get a more precise view on what songs are loved by everybody, what are sort of middle-of-the-road etc.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 08:40:39 PM by Ovi »
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2014, 10:38:00 PM »

I believe there was a lot of genuine emotion expressed in this song by both John and Paul...

The Beatles - "Wait" (original edit)

nimrod

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2014, 11:20:59 PM »

Just a suggestion: it would be interesting if you'd add a poll to each of these threads with thumbs up/thumbs down/neutral choices or something like that in order to get a more precise view on what songs are loved by everybody, what are sort of middle-of-the-road etc.

OK cheers Ovi, suggestions always welcome............. Ive added a poll, can everyone give feedback on whether the poll is a good idea ? a poll on the poll maybe  ha2ha

Ive set the poll so you can change your vote if you want to.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2014, 12:00:39 AM »

So I voted in the poll but I don't feel it's really necessary in this type of discussion.  We've already provided detailed commentary on each of the songs being discussed and our opinions are not always represented by the choices given in the poll.  We're doing more than just rating songs.

nimrod

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2014, 12:05:25 AM »

So I voted in the poll but I don't feel it's really necessary in this type of discussion.  We've already provided detailed commentary on each of the songs being discussed and our opinions are not always represented by the choices given in the poll.  We're doing more than just rating songs.

point taken Barry, now Im trying to figure out how to keep everyone happy  ha2ha

I kind of agree with Barry, what do others think ?

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2014, 01:01:52 AM »

I'd like to expound a bit further, Kev.  I've often mentioned how I reacted to the songs in this series when I heard them for the first time which, in each case, was upon their release.  In the 60s, we didn't have the full catalog of Beatles songs to make comparisons.  We were witnessing their development in "real time" which was an adventure for us all.  In a few cases The Beatles made some rather big leaps in what they were recording which took us by surprise when we bought their next LP.  There were times we couldn't fully grasp what they were doing and fans were polarized as to their feelings about The Beatles.  Some were interested in what they were creating and others found different groups and genres of music to be interested in.  I've mentioned a couple of times that I initially did not like a particular song upon its release but in time, I did.  A few months is a long time in a teenager's life but are like a fleeting moment for someone a bit older.

Young fans today have the benefit of having the full catalog of The Beatles' works at their disposal and listen to songs and albums randomly and not chronologically the way I experienced them.  Their opinions are from a different perspective and that's precisely what makes these discussions interesting.  Having an associated poll with generic selections such as those given would only steer the discussion to "rating" the song and not provoke deep discussion.

I heard Wait for the first time upon its release in late 1965 on Rubber Soul.  I was 15 and coming of age.  My feelings about the song differed from my sister's who was only 10 at the time.  She liked the yeah, yeah, yeah Beatles and couldn't relate to Rubber Soul at all.  My parents, as usual, bought her the LP on its release.  She listened to it and promptly gave it to me saying "I don't like this album!"  As I said, it's all a matter of age, the times and perspective.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2014, 01:04:59 AM »

I always skip it - very uninteresting and boring to these ears. It's specifically because of this, Run For Your Life and What Goes On that I've never been able to get why some consider Rubber Soul to be their best album. Sorry.

In time, Ovi, you might feel differently.  Read what you posted just a couple of weeks ago:  http://www.dmbeatles.com/forums/index.php?topic=11524.msg310208#msg310208

As I said, it's all a matter of age, the times and perspective.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2014, 02:39:32 AM »

point taken Barry, now Im trying to figure out how to keep everyone happy  ha2ha

I kind of agree with Barry, what do others think ?
I don't mind having the option to vote and i suppose it could be interesting over time to see how the various songs stack up amongst Beatle fans. But I'm not strongly inclined either way. The best thing are the contributors opinions and they'll still be there regardless of the vote option.

stevie

• Getting Better
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2014, 06:52:58 AM »

Great post HG!

It must have been unbelievable to have been there the whole time when the Beatles were releasing new work. The excitement around the world when a new Beatle album was imminent would've been unreal.

On he subject of Rubber Soul, I always remember Geoff Emerick's recollections of when the lads were recording it. He wasn't engineering on that and would ask the ones who were in the Abbey Road canteen what the songs were like.

These other engineers were quite gloomy saying it was a country and western type sound the Beatles were doing. Obviously they werent young and up with it. When Geoff heard the songs he realised how damn good it was, lol.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 2.558 seconds with 86 queries.