Beatles forums > Albums

Beatles 1963

<< < (2/2)

Mr Mustard:
Thanks to all those who've had a bash, especially our new friend BLEEN who has revived this.... so far it's confirmed my belief that I am alone in relegating "I Saw Her Standing There" to average (for them) status. Always figures highly in most analysis of the early Beatles sound but I've never been overwhelmed by it, good though it is.

I'm pleased that "Not A Second Time" has made every list so far. A real gem in my opinion - I thought it tends to get somewhat overlooked but not according to this (admittedly very small) survey!

I must admit I'm a little surprised that no one else went for any of the BBC stuff (I hated having to jettison "Soldier Of Love" from my shortlist)... seems to confirm the lads' (and George Martin's?) instinct for what deserved official release at the time.

BLEEN:
I agree, Not A Second Time is often overlooked, great tune!

Moogmodule:

--- Quote from: Mr Mustard on September 28, 2014, 04:25:08 PM ---
I must admit I'm a little surprised that no one else went for any of the BBC stuff (I hated having to jettison "Soldier Of Love" from my shortlist)... seems to confirm the lads' (and George Martin's?) instinct for what deserved official release at the time.

--- End quote ---

To be honest I didn't consider any of the bbc stuff. Only the studio recorded albums and singles.

There's several covers that would go close to making the cut.

Too Much Monkey Business
Soldier of Love
Youngblood
Crying Waiting Hoping
Some Other Guy

All make Beatle playlists for me. But none quite top the best of Lennon McCartney originals in that period to my mind. Nor the two classic John screamer covers in my list.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version