Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Philip Norman interview  (Read 1957 times)

BlueMeanie

Philip Norman interview
« on: January 16, 2009, 02:19:41 PM »

The Guardian weekly podcast this week featured a snippet of an interview with Philip Norman, about The Beatles. By the way, you won't like what he says about Ringo! Here it is, below:

[sound]http://www.fileupyours.com/files/226302/Philip%20Norman.mp3[/sound]

You can hear the whole interview (21 mins) by going here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/audio/2009/jan/14/beatles-john-lennon-biography

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
Re: Philip Norman interview
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 04:13:59 PM »

Pretty even handed interview overall, except for those Ringo comments. I don't draw the conclusion that Ringo is "graceless" because he put up a clumsy website video or that he was a guy with "not much talent" who got lucky by being in the right place at the right time. Both statements require a lot more justification than they're given here and it's a pity the interviewer didn't press Norman harder.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
Re: Philip Norman interview
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 04:41:33 AM »

I think Norman enjoys taking off on one of the Beatles or another-- they can't all be "good", so he picks one to pick on, and it will shift about over time. I guess Ringo drew the lucky straw this time!

People like Norman amaze me. They make their whole living sucking off someone else's fame. I believe part of him (them) is an honest fan; you couldn't spend so much time on a subject you hated. But then they get overly familiar and casual with their opinions, and start throwing them around as if they really mean something -- as if Ringo really did have no talent, and we'll just accept it because prominent scholar (yes, he studies) Phil Norman says so. It's kind of pathetic in a way. And I'm also envious, because if I could make my living sucking off the Beatles' fame like a bloated tick, it would sure beat my day job. So, kudos to Norman for drilling himself in to hold, but it doesn't make his opinion particularly valuable to me.

(All this was written without listening to the full clip-- it's my bedtime! G'nite!)
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Page created in 0.477 seconds with 41 queries.