Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Collection  (Read 3696 times)

Bobber

The Collection
« on: April 09, 2008, 08:50:02 PM »

I've read rumours on the internet about a complete boxset of George's albums coming in June. It is supposed to be called The Collection as you can imagine. But so far no official confirmation has been reported. Should we keep our ears and eyes open?

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
Re: The Collection
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 10:27:55 PM »

I NEED THIS COLLECTION.

I have most of his albums, but not Extra Texture or Dark Horse. What would be very nice would be if they included George's fantastic songs that have been missing ever since the "Best of Dark Horse 1976-1989" compilation went out of production. "Cheer Down" is my favorite, but "Poor Little Girl" is terribly fun, and of course we must have "Cockamamie Business" to fill out our Beatle lore. Don't forget this, collection people! (Would that be you, Liv?)
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 06:52:01 AM »

Found this on Abbeyrd:

# Update (4/9/)  Now what we're hearing is that the reports on the Harrison collection were ("all toget-her now") wrong and it's not scheduled at all. The suspicion is that some erroneous release schedule information made it out to a tipsheet, and MusicTap may have picked it up from there. This may not be the end of the story, though. We'll let you know if more develops.

http://abbeyrd.best.vwh.net/news/408georgecollection.html

There's lots of chatter about it on various sites; but nobody seems to know much, and I can't find anything at the MusicTap link that's usually cited:

http://www.musictap.net/

http://www.bootlegzone.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=139653&sid=94bb06abf5beedeb72f0b6fba1776eb8

http://www.topix.com/forum/who/the-beatles/T323ENBP82N3MMOH1

Bobber

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 07:16:59 AM »

Thanks for clearing that up, Geoff. Nothing more than a rumor I suppose. Still, the thought is nice enough.

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 07:23:31 AM »

Quote from: 63
Thanks for clearing that up, Geoff. Nothing more than a rumor I suppose. Still, the thought is nice enough.

Steve Marinucci cleared it up! ;D

I'd love to see a good George collection though; something like John's Working Class Hero or Paul's Wingspan, but taking in his whole career and using a decent title.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 07:45:01 AM »

Wouldn't a box set just be duplication what has been before? 'The Dark Horse Years' is still fairly recent. Then there's the good job they did with ATMP, and LITMW. If they'd just re-issue Dark Horse, and Extra Texture in similar quality packaging I'd be happy.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 03:26:45 PM »

Quote from: 483
If they'd just re-issue Dark Horse, and Extra Texture in similar quality packaging I'd be happy.
That's all I need as well. In fact, that's the logical thing for them to do next, so I hope they do it.

Geoff, I like your idea as well, for people who don't own all the albums like I do. I've been playing Ringo's Photograph collection and really enjoying it. The set hangs together really well and establishes a mood, which is important to me on an album (a concept that might be fading into the past, but oh well). It would be nice if someone took a good selection of George's songs and presented them in that fashion, so people who don't know much of his work would be able to hear a nice overview in one go.

All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Sgt. Pepper 45822

• Getting Better
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 07:42:52 PM »

I would love a collection of George's solo stuff, I guess I never really wanted to admit they broke up, so I never really checked out their solo stuff. But that would be a good place to start I assume, with a collection like that.
[face=Geneva][size=18]Looking through the bent backed tulips <br />to see how the other half lives.[/size][/face]<br /><br />[img]http://www.beatles.com/hub/gfx/articles/yeloSub/The%20Beatles%20in%20Yellow%20Submarine

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 09:17:23 PM »

I like to visit my library. Mine has at least two of each Beatle's solo albums. That's how I got hooked on Harrison-- ATMP just grabbed me by the throat and said, "YOU MUST BUY ME!" But I'm enjoying learning about the other fellows' solo works as well. It's great having new records out there, as yet unexplored.

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2008, 04:08:01 AM »

Quote from: 551
I've been playing Ringo's Photograph collection and really enjoying it. The set hangs together really well and establishes a mood, which is important to me on an album (a concept that might be fading into the past, but oh well). It would be nice if someone took a good selection of George's songs and presented them in that fashion, so people who don't know much of his work would be able to hear a nice overview in one go.

That's the kind of thing I had in mind. There are lots of good songs on George's solo LPs, and a collection that gathered a representative sampling of the best of them and incorporated non-album cuts like "Bangla Desh," "Poor Little Girl," and "Cheer Down" along with with some uncollected b-sides and maybe a few worthwhile outtakes would be a splendid thing, and would help dispel the impression left by The Best Of George Harrison that all he did after The Beatles was All Things Must Pass. :)

awc1967

• A Beginning
  • arrive without travelling
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 02:18:59 AM »

my dream george harrison collection would be:
my sweet lord
what is life
give me love
dark horse
crackerbox palace
blow away
all those years ago
got my mind set on you
when we was fab
cheer down
any road
stuck inside a cloud

plus as extra........
some wilbury cuts:
handle with care
end of the line
she's my baby

horse to the water
bangladesh
you
wake up my love
isnt it a pity
poor little girl
rising sun
this guitar
this is love
 :)
I've got a feeling,I think that everybody knows

wingsman

• Getting Better
  • There is always a reason to live
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2008, 07:42:22 PM »

This is ridiculous. We don't need a box set with all of his album. We have The Dark Horse Years already! Could you imagine Dark Horse sharing credits with the Apple albums? I don't think so! And, by the way, who would buy it? How many bought The Dark Horse Years...?

The only thing we need is a definitive album with George's hits. That's it. We have a couple of John's, a couple of Paul's, and one from Ringo. Now we need the George compilation!
I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't eat trash... I work out hard everyday and have a healthy life. And I'm proud of it.

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2008, 01:06:42 AM »

Quote from: 713
Now we need the George compilation!

Exactly! we have never had a good solid George compilation at all.
it's only basically Extra Texture & Dark Horse that need the remasterd treatment,
so why bother releasing the whole lot again?  :-/

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2008, 05:38:07 AM »

Quote from: 614
Exactly! we have never had a good solid George compilation at all.
it's only basically Extra Texture & Dark Horse that need the remasterd treatment,
so why bother releasing the whole lot again?  :-/

Do you suppose EMI would consider releasing a new George collection along with remasters of Dark Horse and Extra Texture? ;)

BlueMeanie

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2008, 09:06:13 AM »

Quote from: 1161

Do you suppose EMI would consider releasing a new George collection along with remasters of Dark Horse and Extra Texture? ;)

I bet the compilation would come first.

DarkSweetLady

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2008, 06:05:07 PM »

I've also heard about "The Collection", I hope the rumors are confirmed. I hope "Horse to Water" is on it, that's too good a song to keep on a shelf collecting dust.

~the guiding light in all your love shines on~

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2008, 01:04:34 AM »

Quote from: 668
I've also heard about "The Collection", I hope the rumors are confirmed. I hope "Horse to Water" is on it, that's too good a song to keep on a shelf collecting dust.

I'd love to see this one myself, but it appears that the rumors were simply wrong. I found this second hand statement from the site that started that rumor on another forum:

from AWC:
musictap has issued this statement
: "The BIG one, however, was The Collection by George Harrison. This is now being listed as erroneous information and is not on any lists. I apologize for the undue excitement. "

I can't find the original link at MusicTap, but assuming the poster is right, that's probably the end of it.  :-/

http://www.topix.com/forum/who/the-beatles/T323ENBP82N3MMOH1

DarkSweetLady

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2008, 02:35:47 PM »

I've heard it on a radio station that plays only Beatle music, I don't know though.

I like your avatar by the way Geoff!

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2008, 03:39:24 PM »

Quote from: 668
I've heard it on a radio station that plays only Beatle music, I don't know though.

I like your avatar by the way Geoff!

The rumor started circulating about three or so weeks ago, but it seems to have dissipated. I'd actually be interested in hearing why such an album hasn't appeared: "best of" collections are by far the most common item in record shops after new releases these days.

The avatar's Rowan Atkinson as Edmund Blackadder from the second series of the show. I may change it to Hugh Laurie as Prince George eventually.  ;D

DarkSweetLady

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2008, 11:44:25 PM »

Ya I know, that show is hillarious. Hugh Laurie as Prince George was great, especially when he was in those big trousers!

Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.558 seconds with 83 queries.