Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Singles - Hey Jude.  (Read 10065 times)

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
Singles - Hey Jude.
« on: March 16, 2010, 09:56:07 AM »

What's to say? Absolute genius. just when they seem to be going off the boil they come along with a masterpiece. A great memorable melody, simple evocative lyrics, the greateast sing along chorus of all time, an innovative format....
And again hats off to Mr Martin for his production - as always beautifully understated. A lesser man might have layed it on, but the orchestration is unobtrusive yet powerful. One of the great singles of all time.

I have issues with Revolution's anti-youth culture lyric, but a great b side.

The last great Beatles single.
don't follow leaders
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Joost

• That Means a Lot
Re: Singles - Hey Jude.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 10:09:23 AM »

I like the basic song, but I hate the endless coda. I would've prefered a three minute single edit that fades out after the first couple of na na nas.

Revolution is a great one. Always loved the heavy guitar sound.

HeyJude18

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Love and Peace are eternal" - John Lennon
    • le blog
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 10:34:42 AM »

All I have to say: <3

RAIN-ed on: July 17, 2010; STARR-strucked: July 23, 2010; PAUL-inated: August 8, 2010

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 02:46:15 PM »

How do I begin to describe Hey Jude?
Hey Jude is flawless.
I hear its melody is ensured for ten million pounds.
I hear it's featured in car commercials... in Japan.
Its the favourite song of many people.
One time Chuck Berry heard it on a plane... and said it was pretty.
It punched me in the face once.
It was awesome.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

I_Will

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Doesn't the blood rush to your stomach?"
    • My Beatles Tumblr!
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 11:02:57 PM »

How do I begin to describe Hey Jude?
Hey Jude is flawless.
I hear its melody is ensured for ten million pounds.
I hear it's featured in car commercials... in Japan.
Its the favourite song of many people.
One time Chuck Berry heard it on a plane... and said it was pretty.
It punched me in the face once.
It was awesome.

You're awesome.

Also, I absolutely adore "Hey Jude" and there's not a whole lot to say. However, for those that complain about the "endless" coda, it doesn't bother, especially because Macca's vocals kickass there.

The name's Emily :)

emmi_luvs_beatles

• A Thousand Pages
  • I'm an Expert.
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 12:11:41 AM »

Did someone say Hey Jude?......

*dies*

Anyways, I absolutely adore Hey Jude, it's one of those songs that you could listen to a hundred times over and never get tired of. It was the first Beatles song I ever heard and absolutely fell in love.

Then there's the Hey Jude performance...

I think the Hazel eyes speak for themselves.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 01:04:30 AM »

I love Hey Jude, but dont get me wrong,,,,I do get tired of it. Anyways, the song just seems simplistic and from the heart in a good way. A song that tries to be positive although the message is coming from something so negative, but yet it works. I for one like the coda more so than the first part. I love the energy Paul puts into it with his vocals and I love Ringo ride cymbal too. Great song.

Revolution is one of those tunes that i'm fairly neutral about. If I dont hear it for awhile, i'll enjoy it, but for the most part, I could do without it.

SemolinaPilchard

• A Beginning
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 01:12:18 AM »

I love love love Hey Jude. I'll put it on the jukebox at the bar and without fail everyone starts singing along to it.

Bobber

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 03:15:45 PM »

One great song, although I recognize Todd's feeling of getting tired of the song. I had not listened to it for a long time when I sort of re-invented it. The coda was and still is a little too long for me and I can't really understand why The Beatles made an issue of the nananana's. Wasn't it an idea to shorten it and get the song easier on a 45? Never cared much for Revolution, always I prefer the single version. The album version sounds like Paul's granny songs.

maywitch

• A Beginning
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 09:48:07 PM »

You're awesome.

Also, I absolutely adore "Hey Jude" and there's not a whole lot to say. However, for those that complain about the "endless" coda, it doesn't bother, especially because Macca's vocals kickass there.

I agree. It is such an uplifting song but it's not soft or sappy. One thing that shocks me about the song is that somehow that nearly 4 minute coda doesn't even seem long to me.  It's almost hypnotic and it's comforting and Paul does some great vocal gymnastics behind it too at certain points.  There is something magical about the song and I think the coda is part of it.  It just wouldn't be Hey Jude without it. 

Bobber

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 08:14:32 AM »

Still, the engineers were having trouble to get the song on vinyl, simply because it was too long. They managed to get the job done anyway, but obviously the Beatles really wanted to be the coda that long. It wasn't like 'well, let's make it a minute shorter'. Why?

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 10:03:49 AM »

It wasn't like 'well, let's make it a minute shorter'. Why?

I assume that they just wanted to find out if they could get away with a seven minute single. I'm pretty sure no one else could've pulled off a stunt like that at the time.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 10:16:58 AM »

I assume that they just wanted to find out if they could get away with a seven minute single. I'm pretty sure no one else could've pulled off a stunt like that at the time.

As far as I know The Animals were the first to crack the three minute barrier with House Of The Rising sun. Dylans Like A Rolling Stone (1965) clocked in at 6.09.
Released a couple of months before Hey Jude, Richard harris's McArthur Park was actually ten seconds longer at 7.21.
don't follow leaders

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 11:12:06 AM »

As far as I know The Animals were the first to crack the three minute barrier with House Of The Rising sun. Dylans Like A Rolling Stone (1965) clocked in at 6.09.
Released a couple of months before Hey Jude, Richard harris's McArthur Park was actually ten seconds longer at 7.21.

I stand corrected.

maywitch

• A Beginning
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2010, 05:19:43 PM »

Still, the engineers were having trouble to get the song on vinyl, simply because it was too long. They managed to get the job done anyway, but obviously the Beatles really wanted to be the coda that long. It wasn't like 'well, let's make it a minute shorter'. Why?

Why not?  That's how long they felt the song should go on for.  I don't know I love the song, coda and all, so I guess I just can't imagine the song without it.  Maybe that's how Paul felt too.

Almighty Doer of Stuff

• A Beginning
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2010, 03:49:44 PM »

I think the key to not being bored by the coda is to focus on Paul's vocals, rather than the "na na na"s. When I first heard the song years ago, I scarcely noticed Paul screaming and howling his lungs out, and I actually used a sound editor to cut off the end. Then when I read the transcript on Steve's Beatles Page (a seemingly defunct site unfortunately, which copies an old version of the What Goes On? Anomalies into each song's page, including "Hey Jude"), I thought, "I have to hear this", and now I know it's NOT just a four minute plus string of "na na na na"s, which indeed would be boring to me. I found that once I read the transcript and could follow along with Paul's vocals, it became much more interesting. I suggest those who see the coda the way I used to, give reading the transcript and following along a try, and see if it doesn't seem so long and boring.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2010, 06:27:22 PM »

Hey Judey judey judey aaaaaooow wow wow!
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

cubanheel

• Getting Better
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2010, 08:35:08 PM »

It doesn't seem so long when he does it live in concert, you just get swept along with it. Or does he shorten it live these days, does anyone know?
...once there was a way to get back homeward ...

Almighty Doer of Stuff

• A Beginning
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2010, 10:09:39 PM »

He shortened it to just over five minutes at his Super Bowl performance, but it's full length on "Back In The U.S".

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2010, 03:23:07 AM »

It doesn't seem so long when he does it live in concert, you just get swept along with it. Or does he shorten it live these days, does anyone know?

I disagree. I think its way to long live and I would wish that he would never play it again (unless you've never seen him before I guess).
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.531 seconds with 83 queries.