Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12

Author Topic: The New Mark Lewisohn Books  (Read 71504 times)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Re: The New Mark Lewisohn Books
« Reply #100 on: February 03, 2014, 01:40:22 AM »

You'll be an expert-texpert by the time you finish.  :)

And then there's this book...

I can stay till it's time to go
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

KelMar

« Reply #101 on: February 03, 2014, 03:05:46 AM »

And then there's this book...

After 4 tries I finally manged to download a sample of this to my Kindle App. I learned something interesting already!

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #102 on: February 03, 2014, 03:26:13 AM »

After 4 tries I finally manged to download a sample of this to my Kindle App. I learned something interesting already!

What did you see when you were there?
I can stay till it's time to go

KelMar

« Reply #103 on: February 03, 2014, 03:59:24 AM »

What did you see when you were there?

Something that's kind of gross...(but intriguing):

The original townhouse at 3 Abbey Road, London NW8 was built in 1813 and was home to a string of well-to -do Victorians. In 1883 the road was the location of a macabre mystery that captured the public’s imagination. The Times of London reported the ‘shocking discovery ’ of a gruesome parcel addressed to a Mrs. Green of 3, Abbey Road, St. John’s Wood . The report revealed that as no one by that name lived at the address the box was returned to the local sorting office.  It remained uncollected and would have been forgotten were it not for an increasingly fetid smell coming from it. The box was opened to reveal the remains of a young girl. The police surgeon concluded the cause of death was starvation and that the victim was not from the ‘lower classes’ as her teeth showed no sign of premature decay.

Hocker, Paul. Expert Textpert: The Beatle Dictionary (Kindle Locations 121-124). HockerDoodleDo. Kindle Edition.

Pretty weird. And then he mentions that a young fan could have met a similar fate in 1966 when she attempted to mail herself to The Beatles in a tea chest. She didn't get far before before she gave herself away trying to take her cardigan off.

Bobber

« Reply #104 on: February 05, 2014, 08:32:56 AM »

I won't be a choking smoker for sure.

nimrod

« Reply #105 on: February 05, 2014, 11:43:37 PM »

Interesting that Tony Sheridan observes the Beatles progressing so much in their first stint in Hamburg, but he does state that Stu couldn't play bass and Pete as a drummer was holding them back due to his lack of an ability to drum different rhythms.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #106 on: February 06, 2014, 04:08:06 AM »

Interesting that Tony Sheridan observes the Beatles progressing so much in their first stint in Hamburg, but he does state that Stu couldn't play bass and Pete as a drummer was holding them back due to his lack of an ability to drum different rhythms.

I found that aspect of the book really interesting. How much and how quickly they got it together when in hamburg. They also quote someone from Derry and the Seniors that when he heard the Beatles were coming to hamburg he was worried they'd ruin the deal since they were crap when he last saw them. But when he saw them on stage in hamburg he was amazed how good they were.

Poor old Pete's drumming does cop a battering in the book as well. But it does make clear he was virtually a beginner when he joined them. He just happened to be available and own a drum kit

nimrod

« Reply #107 on: February 06, 2014, 07:28:09 AM »

I found that aspect of the book really interesting. How much and how quickly they got it together when in hamburg. They also quote someone from Derry and the Seniors that when he heard the Beatles were coming to hamburg he was worried they'd ruin the deal since they were crap when he last saw them. But when he saw them on stage in hamburg he was amazed how good they were.

Poor old Pete's drumming does cop a battering in the book as well. But it does make clear he was virtually a beginner when he joined them. He just happened to be available and own a drum kit

yeah they didn't want to ask him to go to Hamburg but absolutely no alternative..

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #108 on: February 07, 2014, 10:26:49 AM »

yeah they didn't want to ask him to go to Hamburg but absolutely no alternative..

A positive about the book is the continuing rehabilitation of Ringo. He's been one of the most unfairly maligned musicians. The book shows he was a respected and in-demand drummer when the Beatles snapped him up. If not the best pop/rock drummer in Liverpool at the time (and for musos it's probably a silly thing to even try to quantify) he was certainly up there.

Fact and Fiction 60-62

• A Beginning
« Reply #109 on: February 08, 2014, 06:33:18 PM »

Oh, if you are really interested in this angle of the subject – including of course Pete’s poor drumming –, I inform you it is more than fully examined in chapter one of the book The Beatles Fact and Fiction 1960-1962 (October 2009).  This chapter (Tony Sheridan & The Beatles) takes up in itself almost half of the book, namely 173 pages !  (BTW, chapter four is also dedicated to the sacking of Pete Best).

Best Regards.
Author of The Beatles : Fact and Fiction 1960-1962, Séguier/Atlantica, October 2009 (English version of the 2003 French book Les Beatles : Enquête sur un Mythe 1960-1962) and co-author w/ J.C. Hocquet of La France et les Beatles – Vol. 1 : La discographie originale, Séguier/Atlantica, July 2005.

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #110 on: February 09, 2014, 02:47:31 PM »

Oh, if you are really interested in this angle of the subject – including of course Pete’s poor drumming –, I inform you it is more than fully examined in chapter one of the book The Beatles Fact and Fiction 1960-1962 (October 2009).  This chapter (Tony Sheridan & The Beatles) takes up in itself almost half of the book, namely 173 pages !  (BTW, chapter four is also dedicated to the sacking of Pete Best).

Best Regards.

Yes your excellent book has been vindicated by Lewisohn. But, tell me, is there anything that has surprised you in 'Tune In' ?

I've read about half of the 'normal' version and am surprised by a slightly anti-Paul tone. He's portrayed as being somewhat jealous and possessive.

Fact and Fiction 60-62

• A Beginning
« Reply #111 on: February 09, 2014, 04:43:47 PM »

Yes your excellent book has been vindicated by Lewisohn.

Thanks, Zipp. Yes, that's probably the best reward the book Fact & Fiction could expect! And Mark's way of quoting his sources with detailed footnotes at the end of every chapter is impeccable.

But, tell me, is there anything that has surprised you in 'Tune In' ?

I've read about half of the 'normal' version and am surprised by a slightly anti-Paul tone. He's portrayed as being somewhat jealous and possessive.

Oh yes, many things were surprising! For instance, the way the Beatles were eventually signed to Parlophone in Spring 1962 is a real scoop and definitely one of the highlights of the book. It should be pointed out though that I've just own the "normal" version so far, as I was not able to put my hands on the extended version yet (hope the publisher will do his best to make a second print quickly available to everybody).

Moreover, I just read long extracts of the book as I'm still very busy working on several projects, including volume 2 of the book La France et les Beatles...

Thanks !

All the best,

Eric  :)
Author of The Beatles : Fact and Fiction 1960-1962, Séguier/Atlantica, October 2009 (English version of the 2003 French book Les Beatles : Enquête sur un Mythe 1960-1962) and co-author w/ J.C. Hocquet of La France et les Beatles – Vol. 1 : La discographie originale, Séguier/Atlantica, July 2005.

nimrod

« Reply #112 on: February 09, 2014, 11:21:48 PM »

A positive about the book is the continuing rehabilitation of Ringo. He's been one of the most unfairly maligned musicians. The book shows he was a respected and in-demand drummer when the Beatles snapped him up. If not the best pop/rock drummer in Liverpool at the time (and for musos it's probably a silly thing to even try to quantify) he was certainly up there.

I agree moog, I think Ringo came across as a bit of a clown led a lot of people to think he wasn't a seriously good drummer, when in fact he was, any drummer who is able to play the myriad of styles The Beatles recorded over the years has to be good.

Its obvious from the book that 'they' (the boys) knew Ringo was their man, from 1st trip to Hamburg, John has said it, I think they were just waiting till the time was right to get Ringo, they liked him , he liked them, Pete never hung around with them, he hardly ever spoke and had one good rhythm in his hands.

The Beatles Fact and Fiction 1960-1962 (October 2009). 

Eric. Id like to get hold of a copy of this, who is selling it ?

Fact and Fiction 60-62

• A Beginning
« Reply #113 on: February 09, 2014, 11:36:14 PM »

The Beatles Fact and Fiction 1960-1962 (October 2009). 

Eric. Id like to get hold of a copy of this, who is selling it ?

Hi nimrod,

Depends where you live. Are you in Europe, in the United States or somewhere else ?... (I can also send signed copies myself).

nimrod

« Reply #114 on: February 09, 2014, 11:43:32 PM »

In Australia Eric

Fact and Fiction 60-62

• A Beginning
« Reply #115 on: February 09, 2014, 11:51:57 PM »

In Australia Eric

Well, normally you still can get it through Amazon.com, but if you wish to have a signed copy, I can send it directly to you. You just have to contact me through PM and we'll arrange the best solution for you. (I have already successfully sent books to Australia).

Thank you for your interest to the book, nimrod.

Eric.  :)

Fact and Fiction 60-62

• A Beginning
« Reply #116 on: February 10, 2014, 12:07:32 AM »

Just in case, here is the link for Amazon.co.uk, but of course I can send brand new copies myself at a much interesting price (send PM!):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beatles-Fact-Fiction-Eric-Krasker/dp/2840495236/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1391990451&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=The+Beatles+Fact+and+Fiction+1960-1962

Bobber

« Reply #117 on: February 11, 2014, 09:18:56 AM »

Erics book is highly recommended by DM's administrator. ;D

KelMar

« Reply #118 on: February 12, 2014, 08:19:07 PM »

I won't be a choking smoker for sure.

I'm very glad to know that.

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #119 on: February 13, 2014, 11:19:04 AM »

A very interesting interview with Mark Lewisohn. I think Peregrine put this on the site but I can't refind it :

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/12/27/tune-in-and-turn-on-the-reading-light/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=1

He says the second volume will be for 2020 so that probably means 2022.

So the third volume will probably be out around 2030 !
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12

Page created in 0.807 seconds with 76 queries.