Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Went and saw Macca....  (Read 12570 times)

emmi_luvs_beatles

• A Thousand Pages
  • I'm an Expert.
Went and saw Macca....
« on: June 16, 2011, 12:30:55 AM »

And here's what I posted on my facebook about it...

Well, it's taken me a bit to really let the experience sink in. Going to the concert, and walking around The Strip the hours beforehand, we would run into people who were going to the concert as well. It really shows you how nice Beatles people are, they are friendly to talk to, and they really understand how you feel when you say, "I just can't describe how exited I am!" Because you don't have to describe it, they get it right away. Most people would think the person holding the sign that says "This is my 49th show!" was wasting their money and was insane for going to see the same setlist and artist 49 times, but we get it. I think any Beatles fan would go to see Paul 49 times if they had the means, even if they wouldn't admit it. I would.
Next to us at the Wolfgang Puck restraunt we ate in at the MGM were two women, one was obviously a babyboomer, and the other was her grown daughter. She said she had been waiting 40 years to see Paul in concert, because her Aunt was going to bring her to see The Beatles in 1966, she was twelve at the time, but her Mother wouldn't let her go. I had told her that I saw Ringo Starr last year, and she exclaimed "You did? He's my favorite!" And I replied telling her that Paul's my favorite. Only over the Beatles do two people make a connection instantly, even though there was quite the generation gap.
When we got there we were quite early, not even a quarter of the seats were taken up. But 5 minutes after we sat down the person who sat next to us arrived (were were row J, seats 1 and 2, when he was 3). He said that he lived in California, and had a 10 month old daughter named Sophia he left behind with his wife to come see Paul. He was a member of the MGM's rewards points club, meaning he stayed there frequently, so he didn't have to pay for anything besides his ticket. You could tell how giddy he was to see Paul, even though he had seen him live once before. Again, making a connection with someone you just met is easy... via Beatles.

The setlist is as shown:
Magical Mystery Tour
Junior’s Farm
All My Loving
Jet
Got To Get You Into My Life
Sing The Changes
Let Me Roll It – Foxy Lady
The Long And Winding Road
Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Five
Let ‘em In
Maybe I’m Amazed
I’m Looking Through You
And I Love Her
Blackbird
Here Today
Mrs. Vandebilt
Eleanor Rigby
Something
Band On The Run
Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
Back In The U.S.S.R.
I’ve Got A Feeling
Paperback Writer
A Day In The Life – Give Peace A Chance
Let It Be
Live and Let Die
Hey Jude
Day Tripper
Get Back
Yesterday
Helter Skelter
Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (reprise)
The End

The concert itself was magical, I am proud to say that I only cried during Maybe I'm Amazed. (My Dad cried during Blackbird, Yesterday, Hey Jude, etc....) The whole atmosphere was so different than other concerts I have been to, the whole room was just so lively and happy, and you shared a conncection with people that you didn't even know the names of. If you are a Beatles fan, this is a must. It was up there as one of the highlighting moments of my life so far, and I still don't know if I've even taken it all in yet.

KelMar

Re: Went and saw Macca....
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 02:58:44 AM »

Emmi, I am very happy for you! That was a nice account you wrote and I can really tell how much you enjoyed the concert. What a great set he played. I wish I could see him but since I can't I'm glad to hear about it from you!  ;)

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 05:44:29 AM »

That was beautiful to read! I am glad you enjoyed the concert and that you got the chance to see Paul. One day he will come to Nz.... (unlikely, but one can hope!) :)

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 03:32:21 PM »

Your first time seeing Paul is a real experience... I've seen him three times.

The first time is the best though. It is almost surreal. I remember, I almost couldn't believe that in front of my eyes was the real Paul McCartney.

Congrats Emmi.

And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 03:37:13 PM »

Only over the Beatles do two people make a connection instantly, even though there was quite the generation gap.

This is SO true! When I went to see Paul by myself, I made friends in line. I'm so glad you got to see him, because to hear your favourite songs being performed by the person who wrote them is something that everyone should get to experience.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

emmi_luvs_beatles

• A Thousand Pages
  • I'm an Expert.
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 02:07:42 PM »

Thank you so much for reading this guys :D It means a lot to me

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 11:14:08 PM »

That was a beautiful write-up, Emmi.  Thank you.

Did he do I'm Looking Through You, And I Love Her and Blackbird acoustic/solo?
I can stay till it's time to go

emmi_luvs_beatles

• A Thousand Pages
  • I'm an Expert.
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 12:10:58 AM »

That was a beautiful write-up, Emmi.  Thank you.

Did he do I'm Looking Through You, And I Love Her and Blackbird acoustic/solo?

Yeah, he also did Dance Tonight. This list seems flawed.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 02:13:44 AM »

Emmi, as I mentioned originally in the other thread, you are so very fortunate to have had that experience.  For that's exactly what it was and not just an ordinary concert.  Your account of what happened stresses that.  You'll remember, all your life, having shared that experience with others as well.

I can stay till it's time to go

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 02:42:18 AM »

Swore I would never go see him again. Just recieved a text from my buisness partner -

Hey, Paul tiks on sale today for cincinatti (sp) show....Gotta go! I'm lookin...

Wife says we should take the kids. Cinncy is 6 hours away.

More news at 11.

Bobber

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 07:30:33 AM »

Swore I would never go see him again. Just recieved a text from my buisness partner -

Hey, Paul tiks on sale today for cincinatti (sp) show....Gotta go! I'm lookin...

Wife says we should take the kids. Cinncy is 6 hours away.

More news at 11.

Older and wiser maybe? ha2ha

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2011, 12:32:29 PM »

Swore I would never go see him again.

Why?  I get that people are bored/disappointed with the set lists over the years.  The shows are still "great" (different levels of greatness for different people I suppose) and enjoyable.  I feel lucky to have seen him now 6 times but if and when he comes through town again I will absolutely go again.  Not too far in the future he won't be able to tour any more and that to me is a sad day.

Took my son last time I went, outdoor concert that the sky opened up in a medium hard rain halfway through the show.  No biggie, we got soaked and didn't care.  Was able to share something with one of my kids that was special for me.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2011, 12:13:41 AM »

Why?  I get that people are bored/disappointed with the set lists over the years.

You answered your own question. Add in the fact that i've spent an average of $250 a ticket each of the 5 times i've seen him and there you go.

The shows are still "great" (different levels of greatness for different people I suppose) and enjoyable. 

I'm bored with them.

I feel lucky to have seen him now 6 times but if and when he comes through town again I will absolutely go again.

I feel lucky to have seen him numerous times also, but enough is enough for me. It would have to be a drastic setlist change for me to really enjoy it anymore.

Not too far in the future he won't be able to tour any more and that to me is a sad day.

This is the excuse i've used the last three times I went and saw him. Its not good enough now.

Took my son last time I went, outdoor concert that the sky opened up in a medium hard rain halfway through the show.  No biggie, we got soaked and didn't care.  Was able to share something with one of my kids that was special for me.

I took my kids the last time I saw him too in Columbus a few years back. They both fell asleep midway through, but at least they can tell people they saw him.

I highly recommend anybody to go see him if they havent already. I just cant keep reading the same book over and over again.

RICKENBACKER325

• "Life is what happens while you busy making other plans"
  • A Thousand Pages
  • Its always been about the music !
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2011, 01:00:59 AM »

And here's what I posted on my facebook about it...

Well, it's taken me a bit to really let the experience sink in. Going to the concert, and walking around The Strip the hours beforehand, we would run into people who were going to the concert as well. It really shows you how nice Beatles people are, they are friendly to talk to, and they really understand how you feel when you say, "I just can't describe how exited I am!" Because you don't have to describe it, they get it right away. Most people would think the person holding the sign that says "This is my 49th show!" was wasting their money and was insane for going to see the same setlist and artist 49 times, but we get it. I think any Beatles fan would go to see Paul 49 times if they had the means, even if they wouldn't admit it. I would.
Next to us at the Wolfgang Puck restraunt we ate in at the MGM were two women, one was obviously a babyboomer, and the other was her grown daughter. She said she had been waiting 40 years to see Paul in concert, because her Aunt was going to bring her to see The Beatles in 1966, she was twelve at the time, but her Mother wouldn't let her go. I had told her that I saw Ringo Starr last year, and she exclaimed "You did? He's my favorite!" And I replied telling her that Paul's my favorite. Only over the Beatles do two people make a connection instantly, even though there was quite the generation gap.
When we got there we were quite early, not even a quarter of the seats were taken up. But 5 minutes after we sat down the person who sat next to us arrived (were were row J, seats 1 and 2, when he was 3). He said that he lived in California, and had a 10 month old daughter named Sophia he left behind with his wife to come see Paul. He was a member of the MGM's rewards points club, meaning he stayed there frequently, so he didn't have to pay for anything besides his ticket. You could tell how giddy he was to see Paul, even though he had seen him live once before. Again, making a connection with someone you just met is easy... via Beatles.

The setlist is as shown:
Magical Mystery Tour
Junior’s Farm
All My Loving
Jet
Got To Get You Into My Life
Sing The Changes
Let Me Roll It – Foxy Lady
The Long And Winding Road
Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Five
Let ‘em In
Maybe I’m Amazed
I’m Looking Through You
And I Love Her
Blackbird
Here Today
Mrs. Vandebilt
Eleanor Rigby
Something
Band On The Run
Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
Back In The U.S.S.R.
I’ve Got A Feeling
Paperback Writer
A Day In The Life – Give Peace A Chance
Let It Be
Live and Let Die
Hey Jude
Day Tripper
Get Back
Yesterday
Helter Skelter
Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (reprise)
The End

The concert itself was magical, I am proud to say that I only cried during Maybe I'm Amazed. (My Dad cried during Blackbird, Yesterday, Hey Jude, etc....) The whole atmosphere was so different than other concerts I have been to, the whole room was just so lively and happy, and you shared a conncection with people that you didn't even know the names of. If you are a Beatles fan, this is a must. It was up there as one of the highlighting moments of my life so far, and I still don't know if I've even taken it all in yet.
Only a true artist can move you to tears.....Rock on Paul.

KeepUnderCover

• A Beginning
  • Across The Universe
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2011, 06:50:06 AM »

Instead of starting a new thread, I thought I'd post in an existing one!  ;)

Anyway, I just saw Macca for the first time tonight...and wow, was it magical! He played for 3 straight hours, 2 encores, I have no clue how many songs...but there were a lot.

Mostly Beatles and Wings songs, but since I'm a fan of both, I was glad to hear them. I wish there were more solo songs, though.

Paul still has "the voice" at 69. I was moved to tears when he dedicated a song to John, and was again moved to tears by Eleanor Rigby. Just a beautiful voice!

Live dates

Ringo Starr, Columbus OH, Feb 22, 1999
Julian Lennon, Cincinnati OH, July 21, 1999
Paul McCartney, Cincinnati OH, Aug 4th, 2011

~The Beatles Forever~

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2011, 11:41:05 AM »

On the Run from New York to Montreal...via Detroit

KelMar

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2011, 03:55:37 AM »

Quote from: KeepUnderCover
Anyway, I just saw Macca for the first time tonight...and wow, was it magical!

Another lucky one! It sounds wonderful.  :)

KeepUnderCover

• A Beginning
  • Across The Universe
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2011, 03:57:01 PM »

My mom is lucky. She's 9 years younger than Paul, and she's seen the Beatles twice (in 1966), Paul once (in 1992), Ringo once (in 1999), and Julian once (in 1999.)

She never saw John or George solo, which she's said she regrets. She's the one who raised me to become a Beatle nut, lol!

I asked her if she wanted to go this time, and she said she's too old for concerts. I wish she had gone, would have gotten a ticket for her!

Live dates

Ringo Starr, Columbus OH, Feb 22, 1999
Julian Lennon, Cincinnati OH, July 21, 1999
Paul McCartney, Cincinnati OH, Aug 4th, 2011

~The Beatles Forever~

chimac

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2011, 02:09:28 AM »

Interesting to see the different opinions on Macca's set lists these days.  Great reviews everyone.

I had the pleasure of going to both of his Wrigley Field shows this past month.  I purchased tickets for myself and a few friends who had never seen him before (the 2nd show).  Independently, my brother had purchased tickets for a bunch of us to go to the first show.  So, that's how it happened; I wouldn't normally have the desire to see *anyone* on two consecutive work nights.

I've seen Paul on both his 2002 and 2005 tours, and at his age I always worry "will he still have it?" before the show starts.  In 2002, 2005, and now 2011, I'm pleased to say he does.  In fact, I enjoyed these shows the most of all.  I understand the poster's concerns about paying $250 a ticket and expecting a more radically different setlist.  That's a fair point.  However, we were perfectly happy in the nosebleeds ($50 seats was all they had left, and they were just fine).  The 3 friends who had never seen him before all independently said it was the best concert they had ever been to.  One of them said, "I couldn't help thinking...if he sounds like this NOW, how powerful his voice must have been at 25."  I thought that was quite a good point.  Paul at 69 can't compare to Paul at 25, but not many could, imo.  He's still great, and that's all that matters.

Regarding the set list, I understand the criticisms, but look at it from Paul's point of view:  he simply can't win here.  You have to realize that on any given show, a sizable % of the audience are people who are first-timers.  People who were too young to see him last time around, or who just got into the Beatles recently, or who had been forcibly dragged here by someone with impeccable taste!  Imagine if Paul opted out of "Yesterday", "Hey Jude", "Let it Be", etc.  For these people, it would be tragic.

The hardcore fans like us are the minority; it's a simple fact.  I would love nothing more than to see him play some obscure tracks like "Arrow Through Me", "Mr. Bellamy", "Vanity Fair", or "Uncle Albert"...but it's just a matter of pleasing the most people possible.  I believe 14 or so of the 37 songs were different than the last time I'd seen him (2005), and I thought that was quite good.  The set list is Beatle-heavy, for sure.  But, we need to face facts...the biggest reactions come whenever a Beatles song comes on.  You hear people gasp audibly as if "that's MY song!", which is something only a very few of his Wings and solo songs elicit.  Paul is keenly aware of this, and as a performer he doesn't play in a vacuum:  he simply delivers what people are asking for.

All in all, a great time was had by all and the high you feel after a Macca concert is quite something.  You'll never see 60,000 city folk that happy, or nice to each other, in any other situation. (except if the Cubs win the World Series, which has as much chance of happening as a Paul tour featuring "Ram" and "Back to the Egg" in their entireties)

I'll see him again the next time he pulls through town, and at that time I'll most likely grab another 3-4 people that have never seen him.  Experiencing it with "newbies" is 75% of the magic.

chimac

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2011, 02:15:21 AM »

One other thing I forgot to mention.  I saw Tony Bennett with some friends @ Ravinia last night.  I'm not a huge Tony Bennett fan, but I can appreciate his abilities and body of work.

Now for the Macca tie-in:  I couldn't help thinking of McCartney when they revealed that it was Tony Bennett's *85th* birthday.  85!  Say what you will about his style of music, but the fact is, he was still able to sing it quite well.  To be upright at all at 85 is quite a trick.  He did roughly an hour and a half.

For people who worry that McCartney can't do it much longer, I offer Tony Bennett.  If Paul still has his health at 85, he'll still perform.  And when he gets to the point that he can't do a 3 and a half hour show, a shorter show is still better than no show at all.  And if he doesn't have the energy to stand the whole way through, an hour of him sitting with a guitar would suffice quite well.  The band he has is great, but when he's alone with just a guitar...you could hear a pin drop.  I look forward to it!
Pages: [1] 2 3

Page created in 0.777 seconds with 91 queries.