Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Microscope: Aftermath (The Rolling Stones)  (Read 4703 times)

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
Microscope: Aftermath (The Rolling Stones)
« on: August 15, 2016, 12:54:43 AM »

My second review of Stones albums is the American version of Aftermath, released in June 1966. Here the most experimental period of the band began, sometimes being wild Beatles imitators. In fact, this album is quite beatlesque, including some obvious influences from Rubber Soul. Let's paint it black over white...

Paint It Black. One of the most famous and certainly one of the best songs by the Stones. Brian Jones is on sitar, obviously being influenced by the then fresh "Norwegian Wood"; but I guess it must have been interesting to listen to the exotic instrument in a faster rock/pop number at that time. I love the percussion and Mick Jagger's angry vocals. The lyrics seem to be a self-conscious shout of depression, as an effort to escape from darkness by the recognition of the spiritual breakdown. This song is not present in the UK version of the album.

Stupid Girl. A funny pop song that walks the line between critique of vanity and intolerant misogyny. Musically speaking, I like the break given by the bridge.

Lady Jane. Another important track, a well known ballad. It sounds like a more refined continuation of the idea installed by the earlier "Play With Fire". The harpsichord provides additional embellishment. The instrumental middle reminds me to the Beatles' "Girl" because of that baroque feeling. With regard to the lyrics, it's curious that this sweet love song was placed just between two nasty misogynist themes.

Under My Thumb. This has become a popular song even though the Stones haven't released it as a single in UK or US. Indeed, the track is infectious and entertaining. The lyrics sound like a revenge to a girl who had despised the singer in the past. Bill Wyman is on fuzz bass, yet another Beatles influence.

Doncha Bother Me. No, this is not a cover of George's "Don't Bother Me". This sounds like an average bluesy song of earlier Stones. It's not so bad but seems to be a dissonant note in the album.

Think. I really like this beatlesque number. It features a fuzzed guitar, providing good touches. Perhaps the guitar solo could have said something more.

Flight 505. I hear a little reprise of the "Satisfaction" riff at the end of the piano intro. Not one of my favorite songs, I find it quite monotonous. The narrated story is tragically funny though.

High And Dry. A second basic blues-like song. However, I tend to like it more than "Doncha Bother Me", maybe because it sounds more genuine to my ears.

It's Not Easy. A pretty good track, made with similar ingredients as used in "Think". Those answering vocals singing the song title make me use the word "beatlesque" again.

I Am Waiting. In my opinion this is the hidden gem of the album. Words and music irradiate mysticism. I especially love the changes of tempo, with slow verses and faster refrain. Great song.

Going Home. This track is famous for being one of the first rock songs lasting more than 10 min. Bob Dylan had already done that and later bands like Love and the Doors would do similar attempts. The song itself is not so interesting though, it's basically a pseudo-blues jam. But at that time it was a novel thing.

The UK version of the album contains other 4 tracks, including a couple of important ones ("Mother's Little Helper"; "Out Of Time"); but I still prefer the US version because I think "Paint It Black" is better than all those songs together.

Aftermath is not as brilliant as Pet Sounds nor as revolutionary as Revolver, but it's certainly among the best rock records from 1966.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 04:46:21 PM by Hombre_de_ningun_lugar »
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
Re: Microscope: Aftermath (The Rolling Stones)
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 11:02:45 AM »

I’m not sure how I missed this microscope! Good review Hombre. Will have a listen and give my thoughts.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 04:43:39 PM »

I’m not sure how I missed this microscope! Good review Hombre. Will have a listen and give my thoughts.

Thank you Moog. This review is quite old, but after reading it again I can say that it still reflects my current opinion about the album. I'd like to read your review!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 04:47:48 PM by Hombre_de_ningun_lugar »

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 11:56:01 AM »

Note I’m reviewing the UK version as it had more songs, although I’ll say something on the US v UK version at the end.

Aftermath was the first Stones album to be entirely self written and they’ve clearly made great strides in a pretty short space of time as composers, considering the previous UK album, Out of Our Heads, had only four of twelve tracks composed by the group.

One thing that struck me was that much of the album still sounds very early 60s in production values. It underlines how lucky the Beatles were to be recording at EMI. Revolver, released only four months after, sounds like a modern record, Aftermath was much more of its time. Some songs though seem to be produced much better; Under My Thumb for instance. The Stones had also taken wholesale to multi-instrument experimentation. The album features sitar, dulcimer, marimbas and koto, all courtesy of Brian Jones.

Mothers little helper. A classic track with a fairly dark subject matter. Satire about Valium was edgier social commentary than the Beatles would have attempted at the time.

Stupid girl. Not very substantial and a bit repetitive but enjoyable enough. Instrumentation is muddy and scratchy though.

Lady Jane. A lovely track that’s always been a favourite. Writing a quasi madrigal was about as uncharacteristic of the Stones as you’ll ever get and this type of wide experimentation with musical styles wasn’t going to stay with them that much longer. It showed though what they could do outside their comfort zone. 

Under my thumb. One every Stones fan knows well. Sound is much more polished. Use of the marimbas gives it a distinctive sound. Nice active bass by Bill is almost the lead instrument. The lyrics ... well probably the less said the better in this day and age. Although it sounds a bit like a revenge song. She’d treated him badly and now it was his turn. Regardless it doesn’t sound like the basis for a lasting relationship.

Doncha Bother me. Standard blues with repetitive slide lick. Ok but very fillerish. 

Going home. One of those tedious long (11 minutes) blues meanderings. Reminds me of their later live versions of Midnight Rambler. The concert songs during which you go buy a drink, drink it, go to the bathroom and then go back to get another drink before returning to your seat.

Flight 505. Fairly standard blues rock number that passes by without leaving much of an impression.

High and Dry. Catchy country blues number. Nothing innovative musically but cheery enough.

Out of time. Classic stones. With a nice slinky beat. More interesting instrumentation. Backing vocals show they’re no Beatles vocally but it fits well enough. A long song for the time at 5.37. Although seems concise compared to Going Home.

It’s not easy.  A catchy 12 bar blues based tune although heading more to rock than blues. Good driving rhythm and tight sound. A style that we’d see a lot from them in the future.

I am waiting.   This is an interesting song and not one I can recall hearing before. A slow burn, almost folk, verse and refrain with a very catchy bridge that grabs your attention.

Take it or leave it.   A gentler more acoustic song. Nice melody. One I’ll listen more to I think.

Think.   Catchy pop number. Interesting use of a distorted electric guitar to almost play the role of a horn section. Not a top rank Stones song but above filler.

What to do.  The album finishes nicely on a catchy uptempo number. Not quite a classic but one of the tracks that you’ll sing to yourself in between album listens.

This is a huge leap in album standard for the Stones and probably their best til Beggars Banquet in 1968. Classics such as Under my Thumb and Lady Jane, and hidden gems like I Am Waiting or Take it or Leave It, show the Stones could be a versatile pop/rock band. The album is brought down a bit by the blues filler. Nothing wrong with blues songs but more songs like Think and less like Going Home or Doncha Bother Me would have improved the album.

So. Uk versus the US version. As Hombre said, the presence of Paint it Black is a huge plus on the US version, being one of their best 60s songs. But to get that you lose Mothers Little Helper, Out of Time, Take it or Leave It and What to Do. These songs to my ears provide more variety and texture to the album. The less compelling bluesy material takes up more proportional running time on the US version. Luckily in this day and age we don’t need to choose.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 10:49:50 PM »

Thank you for your contribution Moog, I enjoyed reading your review. I'm glad you reviewed the British version of the album, since it includes those 4 songs that are absent in the American version. Actually I had to give a listen to "Take It Or Leave It" and "What To Do" because I didn't quite remember them. They are both nice pop songs.

I don't really think that the US version is superior to the UK release, probably the opposite is the truth; but I still prefer the American version just because of the hugeness of "Paint It Black". Anyway, as you said, in these days we don't need to choose and could listen to all 15 tracks as if they were part of the same album, though I still force myself to listen to the records in the form they were originally released.

I agree that either version of Aftermath may be the best Stones album prior to Beggars Banquet, but I think that Between The Buttons was almost as good as Aftermath.

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 10:57:25 PM »

Mothers little helper. 'What a drag it is getting old' = 'Hope I die before I get old'. Great put-down of middle-class housewife turning to drugs. Wrongfoots all those people saying drugs were only for young people. Also says drugs lead to death. A moral tale.

Stupid girl. Delightful jingle-jangle guitar and fairground organ. Great put down of a girl trying too hard to get noticed. The 'virgin queen' is Elizabeth I which prepares us for the next Elizabethan flavoured song.

Lady Jane. A 'sweet love song'? No, a cynical farewell to former lovers who can't provide the security of Lady Jane. The singer is certainly not going to Lady Jane for love and is relishing to some extent his forced leave-taking of the other ladies in his life. Wedlock is more powerful than dallying. Another moral tale from our heroes.

Under my thumb. Liberation. A more relaxed funky feel to a song where finally the man comes out on top. Total domination. And he did it the hard way because you feel it used to be the other way round.

Doncha Bother me. Get off my cloud and stop following me around. Nice swaggering slide guitar and rickety-rackety percussion. Great fun track.

Going home. Three thousand light years from home. Really changes gear after three minutes. Just can't waaaiiiit. Mesmerising guitar, bass and vocals. Can't go on too long in my book. The end to an excellent first side.

Flight 505. Honky-tonk piano leading us in with a nod to Satisfaction. Shades of a Chuck Berry flight of fantasy but there's a sting in the tail. Better to stay at home and appreciate what you already have. Another moral tale from those good ole Stones.

High and Dry. Infectious rhythm. Lady Jane with a vengeance. The girl realises he's after her money and drops him. But it's OK since he didn't love her in the first place. All's fair in love and war.

Out of time. A nice tune but goes on too long and gets too repetitive. The Chris Farlowe version was so much better because more concise.

It’s not easy.  A bit too repetitive but upbeat. For once the girl seems to have come out on top.

I am waiting.   Still waaaiiiting Mick? Yes but somehow on a more philosophical level. One of the nicest and most surprising tracks on the album.

Take it or leave it.   A bit of a throwback to earler material? None too convincing.

Think.   A better structured song. Getting old before your time! Need a little helper?

What to do.  A kind of bonus number. Not really necessary but nice to have it.

The second side is no way as strong as the first side, but makes up in quantity what it lacks in quality.

Best career album so far for the Stones. And not bettered until Beggar's Banquet.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 11:00:19 PM by zipp »

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 11:38:43 PM »

Great review, zipp, paying special attention to the lyrics.

I liked your comparison between those lines from "Mother's Little Helper" and "My Generation", though the Stones' song reminds me more to the Kinks' social critique material of that time (e.g. "Well Respected Man" and "Dedicated Follower Of Fashion").

Interesting view on "Lady Jane", it describes the song from a different angle than I had.

It seems that the three reviewers agreed that "I Am Waiting" is the big surprise of the album.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2018, 01:37:54 AM »

Out of time. A nice tune but goes on too long and gets too repetitive. The Chris Farlowe version was so much better because more concise

Chris Farlowe's version was produced by Mick Jagger...

https://youtu.be/LMli47EQVWE

The Rolling Stones' single version was arranged similarly...

https://youtu.be/VhPzmdtT1-g

And The Rolling Stones had yet another shorter version...

https://youtu.be/--Qqidukssw

...which was an abridged alternate mix of the Aftermath version.
I can stay till it's time to go

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2018, 05:26:09 AM »

I agree that either version of Aftermath may be the best Stones album prior to Beggars Banquet, but I think that Between The Buttons was almost as good as Aftermath.

I’m a fan of Between the Buttons as well. The UK version doesn’t have any hits on it so it’s probably a more low key and quirky part of their discography. The US version added Let’s Spend the Night Together and Ruby Tuesday which gave it more commercial oomph.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 05:34:09 AM by Moogmodule »

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2018, 02:32:40 PM »

I’m a fan of Between the Buttons as well. The UK version doesn’t have any hits on it so it’s probably a more low key and quirky part of their discography. The US version added Let’s Spend the Night Together and Ruby Tuesday which gave it more commercial oomph.

Yes, that's why I also prefer the American version of that album, though once again the hits replaced two interesting songs ("Back Street Girl" and "Please Go Home").

Now that you revived this microscope I'm considering to review the next Stones album, which would be Between The Buttons.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2018, 08:17:36 PM »

Yes, that's why I also prefer the American version of that album, though once again the hits replaced two interesting songs ("Back Street Girl" and "Please Go Home").

Now that you revived this microscope I'm considering to review the next Stones album, which would be Between The Buttons.

Great. I’ll be here  ... icon_good

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2018, 08:42:31 PM »

The Rolling Stones' single version was arranged similarly...

The Rolling Stones didn't release Out Of Time as a single in the sixties.

Jagger's vocal on Chris Farlowe's version was a demo for him to follow. It was released in 1975 and became a minor hit.

I maintain that the Stones' version, long or short, lacked power and dynamics. They didn't exploit the song to the full.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2018, 07:51:44 PM »

I maintain that the Stones' version, long or short, lacked power and dynamics. They didn't exploit the song to the full.

The subject matter of the song, Bill Wyman's bass, Charlie Watts drumming on the offbeat, and Brian Jones on the marimbas make the Aftermath version dynamic enough for me.  The orchestrated version is a bit overproduced to my ears.

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2018, 10:40:40 PM »

The subject matter of the song, Bill Wyman's bass, Charlie Watts drumming on the offbeat, and Brian Jones on the marimbas make the Aftermath version dynamic enough for me.  The orchestrated version is a bit overproduced to my ears.

The Aftermath version drags too much for me, especially towards the end. It's also way too low-key.

However I agree that the Farlowe version is too overproduced. There should have existed a compromise between the two.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2018, 02:22:17 AM »

Well, maybe Out Of Time needed some go-go dancers.  One more time, Robin!!

https://youtu.be/54mOHkhNbjQ

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2018, 10:44:53 PM »

Take away Robin's yodel and that's actually a decent atempt.

Page created in 0.563 seconds with 68 queries.