Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 33

Author Topic: Books  (Read 87936 times)

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
Re: Books
« Reply #220 on: July 23, 2014, 10:06:11 AM »

Aspidistra? I believe it's a plant. Sounds more like an aircraft I reckon :)

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #221 on: July 23, 2014, 10:29:37 AM »

How about that! More like a car or something.

https://sp2.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.608041531095453586&pid=15.1&P=0
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 10:31:35 AM by Dcazz »
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #222 on: July 23, 2014, 11:01:35 AM »

http://youtu.be/6XROMw3Z4e0

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #223 on: July 23, 2014, 11:08:07 AM »

My question has been answered! Cute song, thanks
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #224 on: September 27, 2014, 06:54:02 PM »

Just about to finish The Dinner by Herman Koch. It started out OK but has been getting progressively darker and more unsettling.

KelMar

« Reply #225 on: September 27, 2014, 10:00:05 PM »

Just about to finish The Dinner by Herman Koch. It started out OK but has been getting progressively darker and more unsettling.

That was the selection for our library's book club last time. I don't belong because they meet on my day off. If it was the evening when I work I'd be more than happy to sit down with them and talk! LOL

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #226 on: September 29, 2014, 08:45:38 AM »

I gave up on Orwell's Aspidestra and so now I reverted back to Ben Elton's Two Brothers

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

nimrod

« Reply #227 on: September 29, 2014, 10:43:04 AM »

I gave up on Orwell's Aspidestra and so now I reverted back to Ben Elton's Two Brothers

what was wrong with it KE ?

KelMar

« Reply #228 on: September 30, 2014, 12:10:13 AM »

I'm reading an interesting series of books. At least I find them interesting! They are the journals of a young woman who lived here and they're from the mid 1850's. Her father was a wealthy lumberman and merchant and her brother eventually donated the house that's the library where I work. A lot of it is rather tedious but every so often a passage will come up that makes it all worth it! I'm on the third of five and it looks like I'm probably the one person who's read that far since it was transcribed in the 1990's. It made that new book sound when I opened it.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #229 on: September 30, 2014, 01:31:26 PM »

I'm reading an interesting series of books. At least I find them interesting! They are the journals of a young woman who lived here and they're from the mid 1850's. Her father was a wealthy lumberman and merchant and her brother eventually donated the house that's the library where I work. A lot of it is rather tedious but every so often a passage will come up that makes it all worth it! I'm on the third of five and it looks like I'm probably the one person who's read that far since it was transcribed in the 1990's. It made that new book sound when I opened it.

That does sound interesting! A friend was just telling me about some history of the town I live in. Apparently there are a lot of underground tunnels from the bootlegging era. According to this one book of local lore, there was even a tunnel leading from one of the brothels to a local church, and -- according to this book, which I haven't read -- one leading citizen would sneak out during the homily to visit said brothel. (I'm not quite sure how one would manage that, unless the wife were dozing or one claimed an ill stomach or something!) I keep meaning to try to find it at the library.

KelMar

« Reply #230 on: September 30, 2014, 05:44:02 PM »

That does sound interesting! A friend was just telling me about some history of the town I live in. Apparently there are a lot of underground tunnels from the bootlegging era. According to this one book of local lore, there was even a tunnel leading from one of the brothels to a local church, and -- according to this book, which I haven't read -- one leading citizen would sneak out during the homily to visit said brothel. (I'm not quite sure how one would manage that, unless the wife were dozing or one claimed an ill stomach or something!) I keep meaning to try to find it at the library.

That will be quite a read! There are some things of an unsavory nature alluded to in this journal but Lib is too much of a lady to come right out and tell all. She got very upset when she was making her brothers' bed and found a book entitled "The Lusty Turk" hidden under the straw mattress.She really bawled them out good! I guess boys have been hiding that stuff for a long time. LOL

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #231 on: October 31, 2014, 06:31:52 PM »

are there any James Herbert fans on here, I love all his books, when I was younger I couldn't put them down.

'The Secret of Crickley Hall' 

2ch

I just got back from WalMart (ugh) and saw this on DVD, as a BBC movie. I immediately grabbed it, because I loved the book so
much, but I really need to stop ruining my budget with impulse buys, so I reluctantly put it back. Has anyone seen the movie? The
book was SO good. Wonder if it's on Netflix. I quit a few months back but may rejoin.

nimrod

« Reply #232 on: October 31, 2014, 11:17:55 PM »

I just got back from WalMart (ugh) and saw this on DVD, as a BBC movie. I immediately grabbed it, because I loved the book so
much, but I really need to stop ruining my budget with impulse buys, so I reluctantly put it back. Has anyone seen the movie? The
book was SO good. Wonder if it's on Netflix. I quit a few months back but may rejoin.

funnily enough..

I have it set to record on BBC First later on tonight

what a coincidence  :P

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #233 on: November 01, 2014, 12:38:43 AM »

funnily enough..

I have it set to record on BBC First later on tonight

what a coincidence  :P

That is a coincidence! I'd love to hear what you think of it after you watch it.

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #234 on: November 01, 2014, 02:50:39 AM »

Killing Patton, interesting so far.
Mark Twain

nimrod

« Reply #235 on: November 01, 2014, 04:23:37 AM »

That is a coincidence! I'd love to hear what you think of it after you watch it.

will do

It seems to be 3 parts so we'll probably watch the first one tonight

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #236 on: November 01, 2014, 09:11:16 PM »

Killing Patton, interesting so far.

I just looked that one up, Dave; it looks interesting. My father had a copy of Killing Jesus at his house last summer; I see they are both part of the same series (all of which look good to me).

I just finished Son of Rosemary, which was horrible and had a totally pathetic ending. I don't think I've ever read a worse sequel. I'm going to have to reread Rosemary's Baby, which is a favorite of mine.

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #237 on: November 02, 2014, 02:08:02 AM »

He did Killing Lincoln too.
Mark Twain

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #238 on: November 02, 2014, 03:05:05 AM »

^^^^

Yes, and Killing Kennedy, I see. I need to track these down at the library, especially the Patton one you mentioned. All of them look good!

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #239 on: November 04, 2014, 03:49:10 AM »

^^^^

Yes, and Killing Kennedy, I see. I need to track these down at the library, especially the Patton one you mentioned. All of them look good!
it was pretty good. As in depth as it could be all these years after. The political intrigue even then is very interesting.
Mark Twain
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 33

Page created in 0.941 seconds with 75 queries.