Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: No More Covers  (Read 2855 times)

Bobber

No More Covers
« on: August 24, 2007, 01:32:47 PM »

I read about Rubber Soul in another thread here. What strikes me most about this album is that they, although they were quite short of time, decided not to record any coversongs anymore. We've been down to discussing the cover-thing a lot already, but I have never read or heard anything about this decision they made. I know that A Hard Day's Night doesn't contain any cover, but they returned to it on Beatles For Sale and Help!. Starting with Rubber Soul, they didn't include any cover song on their albums any more. But what precisely triggered their decision? Any ideas or facts about this?

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
Re: No More Covers
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 01:47:07 PM »

^Excellent. I very much would like to know the answer to this. No facts as usual but I have ideas - need to gather my thoughts
don't follow leaders

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 09:33:33 PM »

I believe they were more publishing 'savvy' by then. They also had a lot of confidence grown in their own material and about to massively take on America? Surely the shrewd Epstein would and possibly Mr Martin would have encouraged or explained about royalties to them?
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 12:41:29 AM »

They were at their creative peaks at that period. Why bother with covers?

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 07:39:13 AM »

I think maybe they had recorded all the cover versions they liked and there was'nt much left to cover ,which was worthy of a place on their albums.
Plus i think John and Paul got to a point quite early on ,where they did'nt need to do other people's songs as original material was exploding from there creative minds at great speed .

DaveRam :)

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2007, 09:19:41 AM »

Quote from: 679
Plus i think John and Paul got to a point quite early on ,where they did'nt need to do other people's songs as original material was exploding from there creative minds at great speed .

I've never thought they included covers because they "needed to". A mixture of originals and covers (reflecting their stage act?) was just the way albums, including by the Beatles, were made. It was the acceptable format. They were giving away hits in 63 and had plenty of excellent material but still included 7(?) covers on With The Beatles.
I think it was just that things were changing. Albums like Dylans Highway 61 must have influenced them. The album as an "art" form was changing.
I still wonder though whether they sat down and made a conscious decision one day, or it just happened. I suspect the latter.
don't follow leaders

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2007, 10:02:45 AM »

To (hopefully)  illustrate the point that the evolution of albums in the 60's followed some kind of trend without any one act blazing a trail, I found this July 66 album by The Yardbirds:

According to Wiki it encompassed a multitude of styles, including influences from gregorian chanting, world music and european folk music.
It's similarity to Revolver, in both look and sound, and which was released a month later, is quite startling. Not that one is copying the other, but that music was moving in a general trend, pulling bands along with it.
don't follow leaders

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2007, 10:03:09 AM »

To ingratiate a band with the people, covers is a great way of going about it...Ask a band early on and I reckon they would be relieved to 'sly' their way in, in such a manner.
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2007, 10:19:51 AM »

I wonder who the first rock act to debut with an album of all originals? That surely is a groundbreaking event.
don't follow leaders

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2007, 12:48:40 PM »

18th July 1964 " A Hard Day's Night " The Beatles all original material ?

DaveRam :)

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2007, 01:10:17 PM »

Quote from: 185
I wonder who the first rock act to debut with an album of all originals? That surely is a groundbreaking event.

Only groundbreaking if it sells. (The first off the block might have disappeared in a sea of disinterest.)

I think there is something about the familiarity of a well-known song. I have to say, I was absolutely delighted when I first heard the Beatles do "Please Mr. Postman", because I was so familiar with the girl-group version. I just sat there grinning: boys are doing this! So the Beatles didn't have to win me over to this new song (as in, "Please learn to like 'I Saw Her Standing There' enough to buy our album") because I already knew the song, and I thought the Beatles singing it was really cool.

So perhaps after they'd established an audience and marketing was no longer an issue, they could feel more confident that their albums would sell even if they featured "only" Beatles compositions.

Coo discussion, everyone!
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2007, 12:03:47 AM »

Just a guess, but I would say Chuck Berry's debut album "After School Session" (1957).

I can stay till it's time to go

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2007, 09:19:34 AM »

John from the 68 RS interview:
Q: Wasn't it about the time of Rubber Soul that you moved away from the old records to something quite different?

A: Yes, yes, we got involved completely in ourselves then. I think it was Rubber Soul when we did all our own numbers. Something just happened. We controlled it a bit. Whatever it was we were putting over, we just tried to control it a bit.
don't follow leaders

Bobber

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2007, 10:37:27 AM »

Interesting quote. Thanks for that. Any more from that interview that points to this matter?

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2007, 11:47:25 AM »

Unfortunately no. Here's the link http://homepage.ntlworld.com/carousel/pob06.html
It's good to read, because John is very positive about being Beatle (both past and present.) No hint of the nastiness from 1971. He also enthuses about Paul quite a bit. Doesn't sound like a man who has given up.
don't follow leaders

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2007, 01:01:18 PM »

George was also emerging as a songwriter so they had more material to use from within the band.

Anyone notice that in today's chart music, cover versions are just as prevalent as they were back in the Sixties?

silby

• One And One Is Two
    • Beatles Battle
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2007, 05:29:23 AM »

That is a really good question.  The debut album by the Mothers of Invention - Freak Out - had all Zappa originals.  It was a double album, and it was groundbreaking.  

But, yeah, Chuck Berry in 1957...  could be...

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2007, 01:05:14 PM »

Even Chuck Berry wasn't averse to cover versions - "Route 66" for example.

Page created in 0.445 seconds with 79 queries.