Other forums > Different Conversations

Books

(1/132) > >>

Ovi:
I'm pretty sure at least one topic about books has already been started here, but since it(they) got lost, I decided to make a new one. So, discuss anything : favourite books, books you have read recently, books you are planning on reading, books you suggest to other members, etc.

Ovi:
"The Prestige" by Christopher Priest is one of my all time favourite books. Even though I'm no big reader, I read this one about a year ago and it was one of the few books that really "got me". You may have heard of the 2006 movie with the same name starring Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman. The movie is wonderful, too. The book is about two magicians and their obsessions with becoming better than the other. It has a lot of twists, it's pretty clever and well-writen. Also, the plot is first seen through the eyes of one of the magicians and then from the other's. I liked the book a lot and I recommend it to those who haven't read it yet and/or enjoyed the movie.

Jai Guru Deva.:
Okay, this one's for the ladies in here!  If you like the 40s-60s, and you like The Beatles, you're gonna love this author!  She's a Liverpudlian called Maureen Lee who has written loads of books in a similar vein, mainly focusing upon life for mostly working class families in Liverpool during and after the war, and all the personal troubles they encounter.  She's had first hand experience of Liverpool, its music scenes and its struggles and triumphs, and her stories are often very involved, cover a long span of time and talk a lot about music, mentioning The Beatles a couple of times.  They tend to have a lot of romance involved, but what's most captivating is the growth of the characters and how war and personal struggles affect them.  It's also very cool because she describes Liverpool very closely physically, so you know what it was like to live there back then and where everything was down to the street.  If you like romance, Liverpool and times past, you'll like Maureen Lee's books.  :)

xxx

KelMar:

--- Quote from: Jai Guru Deva. on November 27, 2011, 11:18:45 PM ---Okay, this one's for the ladies in here!  If you like the 40s-60s, and you like The Beatles, you're gonna love this author!  She's a Liverpudlian called Maureen Lee

--- End quote ---

They sound like the kind of thing I'd like. I just searched and my library doesn't have any but there's quite a few on eBay. They are coming from the UK but with free shipping that doesn't matter. Thanks Shirli!

Badgirl66:
http://www.maureenlee.co.uk/books.htm

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version