Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Will you help me put together a music library?  (Read 6628 times)

johnjec

• One And One Is Two
Will you help me put together a music library?
« on: May 29, 2013, 07:32:24 PM »

Hello,
I could hardly call myself a diehard Beatles fan. Born in 65, my older brother was really the diehard. He was so proud of his collection and I remember him showing me dozens of albums and singles. Well, I began thinking that I would really like a complete set of Beatles music and would like some suggestions on the best way to approach this. Last year I bought the Beatles Mono box set and recently had some time so I began transferring the CDs to mp3 using itunes and the Apple lossless format. Anyway, I noticed that one of the CDs had major distortion and was puzzled. I googled the issue and discovered that what I had actually bought was a fake box set. As I watched the youtube video and how to tell the difference, my heart sank. Since it had been 9 months since I bought it on Ebay, I had no hope of getting a refund. I should have known having paid just $105 on a buy it now, that there was an issue.

So to get to my point, I have now reordered the box set from Amazon and I want to know what other albums to purchase to complete a set. I see a lot of albums out there but many seem to repeat songs that are already on original albums like the red and blue for example. As I tried to decipher the wiki list, I am guessing that I would need Abbey Road and Let it Be. Any others?
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Will you help me put together a music library?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 10:38:58 PM »

If you don't need the stereo versions of the mono albums, apart from Abbey Road and Let It Be you will also have to get the stereo Past Masters if you want the songs "The Ballad Of John And Yoko", "Old Brown Shoe" and the single version of the song "Let It Be".
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

stopwow673

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 10:46:12 PM »

Wow, that's unfortunate about the fake box set. I hear that it is a major problem. I thought about getting the mono set on eBay, but am too afraid of getting a fake. I wouldn't dare.

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 11:27:24 PM »

Johnjec's confusion confirms the stupidity (or should that be 'greed') of not having each LP available on 2-CD mono/stereo sets, with the relevant A/B/EP/BBC/'Anthology' sides as extras.....see 'The Kinks'.

As you're getting the mono (mono being the definitive versions) box, it's really only 'Yellow Submarine' (with the George Martin orchestration on Side 2 - not the 'song-track' edition), 'Abbey Road' and 'Let It Be' (not 'Let It Be...... Naked') that you'll need, together with the essential 'Live at the BBC' volumes 1 & 2.

Personally, I'm hanging back until Apple do the whole thing properly, which should be in about 2028. See you there!

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 02:51:03 PM »

If you don't need the stereo versions of the mono albums, apart from Abbey Road and Let It Be you will also have to get the stereo Past Masters if you want the songs "The Ballad Of John And Yoko", "Old Brown Shoe" and the single version of the song "Let It Be".

As well as some of the singles, like "I Call Your Name," "I'll Get You in the End," etc. Or am I incorrect about this?

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 11:58:29 PM »

As well as some of the singles, like "I Call Your Name," "I'll Get You in the End," etc. Or am I incorrect about this?

Those songs are available on the Mono Masters, included in the Beatles Mono box set. But "The Ballad Of John And Yoko", "Old Brown Shoe" and the single version of "Let It Be" were only released in stereo, that's why they are only available in the stereo Past Masters.

Everything was easier with the 1987 CDs... They still make my Beatles collection. I have in mono the albums I want to have in mono (first four albums) and I have in stereo the albums I want to have in stereo (the rest). And the Past Masters wisely used mono versions for the early two-track recordings and stereo versions for the four-track masters.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 12:09:47 AM »

^^^^
Thanks!  :)

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 12:22:21 AM »

You're welcome!

KelMar

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 12:38:08 AM »

Those songs are available on the Mono Masters, included in the Beatles Mono box set. But "The Ballad Of John And Yoko", "Old Brown Shoe" and the single version of "Let It Be" were only released in stereo, that's why they are only available in the stereo Past Masters.

They aren't on the mono Past Masters but all three are available on The Beatles 1967-1970 (The Blue Album). I am not sure what version of LIB is on there though. "The Ballad of John and Yoko" and LIB are also on Beatles 1.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 01:03:40 AM »

They aren't on the mono Past Masters but all three are available on The Beatles 1967-1970 (The Blue Album). I am not sure what version of LIB is on there though. "The Ballad of John and Yoko" and LIB are also on Beatles 1.

Yes, the three songs are available on the Blue Album, including the single version of "Let It Be". So buying the Blue Album may be a better alternative for those who own the Beatles Mono box set and don't want to have both mono and stereo versions of Past Masters.

KelMar

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2015, 01:12:50 AM »

Yes, the three songs are available on the Blue Album, including the single version of "Let It Be". So buying the Blue Album may be a better alternative for those who own the Beatles Mono box set and don't want to have both mono and stereo versions of Past Masters.

"The Blue Album" and "Meet the Beatles" were the only Beatles recordings I owned for a very long time! I listened to my sister's left-behind albums until I moved out on my own, then I bought those two CDs. It wasn't until my kids were grown that I dug into it all. My husband told me for years that I needed a hobby. LOL

stopwow673

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2015, 01:13:24 AM »

Everything was easier with the 1987 CDs... They still make my Beatles collection. I have in mono the albums I want to have in mono (first four albums) and I have in stereo the albums I want to have in stereo (the rest). And the Past Masters wisely used mono versions for the early two-track recordings and stereo versions for the four-track masters.

I have the 1987 set of studio albums (plus Past Masters). I never bought the 2009 set, either mono or stereo. I wondered if I was missing out.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2015, 02:46:25 AM »

"The Blue Album" and "Meet the Beatles" were the only Beatles recordings I owned for a very long time! I listened to my sister's left-behind albums until I moved out on my own, then I bought those two CDs. It wasn't until my kids were grown that I dug into it all. My husband told me for years that I needed a hobby. LOL

And you found a great hobby!

I "discovered" the Beatles relatively late in my life, at the age of 21, because my sister was watching the Help! movie on TV (I mean, I already knew about the Beatles, but I had never paid special attention to them until that moment). I started buying several albums in cassette format, but my first CDs ever were the Red and Blue Albums. Some years later I decided to buy all the original albums in CD format.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2015, 02:56:08 AM »

I have the 1987 set of studio albums (plus Past Masters). I never bought the 2009 set, either mono or stereo. I wondered if I was missing out.

It depends on what you need. If you want the first four albums in stereo or the later albums in mono, then you will need the 2009 set. Apart from that, the 2009 reissues are said to have a cleaner sound, but in my case I'm happy with the warm (if dingy) sound of the old 1987 CDs. Moreover, I don't like the fact that in the 2009 set some "mistakes" from the original masters were deleted. I think those "mistakes" are also part of the Beatles history.

KelMar

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2015, 10:52:57 PM »

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2015, 08:00:31 AM »

I never thought I'd say this but 'stick to the 1980s', it might have been dire but it's the place for Fabs' CDs.

Bonus tracks/mono & stereo issues aside, the 'faults' are all still present (a good thing) and, in London at least, the going rate in places like Music & Tape Exchange (which have thousands of 1980s Beatles' CDs) is at most £5 each, £3 if you shop around.....i.e. the whole Beatles' back catalogue is yours for about £40.

I got 'Beatles For Sale' for a fiver on its 50th Anniversary and it sounds great.

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2015, 08:01:45 AM »

The cheapest CD I saw, and bought, yesterday was 'Past Masters Vol. 1' (£2 mint.....about £10 cheaper than it would have been in 1988!) and even the White Album 2-CD set from the 1980s was only £6.

My advice to someone just getting into The Beatles would be to buy them slowly, buy them cheaply, and avoid vinyl like the plague. In Record Collecting ALWAYS do the opposite to the prevailing wisdom.
Remember, the dozy thing to do in the 1980s was to slavishly buy expensive CDs.

Ironically, in 25 years time it is bound to be these early CDs which will start to finally accrue a value and not the 2009 ones.

Bingo Bongo

• Getting Better
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2015, 10:27:18 PM »

Cheapest and easiest way (other than free downloading) is the 2009 Stereo set w/Past Masters included, giving you every song, period the end. icon_king

But like Hombre mentioned getting the 1987 CD set isn't a bad idea either!  icon_good

Unfortunately for me, I went the expensive route.  I tracked down all Original Mono UK LPs, and now I'm currently buying the Original UK Singles/EPs since the was no such thing as "Original Past Masters" for all these singles. My wife wants to kill me.... icon_mad
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 10:29:21 PM by Bingo Bongo »
Beatles music gives me Eargasms

Page created in 2.217 seconds with 73 queries.