Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: George & Hare Krishna  (Read 5687 times)

Because

• A Beginning
  • asian girls are hot
Re: George & Hare Krishna
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2004, 03:08:43 AM »

I don't think the Hare Krishna movement is considered a religion. It was a movement, an offshoot of Hinduism for westerners. Hare Krishna was just a mantra chanted by the followers. Krishna was an incarnation of the god Vishnu, who in turn is Ishvara, who in turn is Brahman. People who take Hinduism very strictly believe once you leave India, you are no longer a Hindu. That is why things like the Hare Krishna movement were so popular in the West. Since George, (and many other financially well-off people), weren't born into the Hindu caste system, they could never be a true Hindu. So thats why these "sects" were created. You got most of the spirituality, but with less prerequisites. At least that's my 2 cents on the topic, and I know a bit about Hinduism. I know enough to realize Hinduism isn't even a religion, but that's not an argument for a George Harrison forum.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2007, 02:27:38 AM »

Where did Because go?

Anybody know?

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2007, 09:21:54 AM »

Quote from: 56
-

Does anyone know if he actually did live by the Krishna rules for a while, or was he just one of those people that picked a religion and only used the elements of it that he liked?

I think he liked the ideas/wisdoms of it. He was born a Christian right? And about not eating meat- well, Paul and Ringo covered up for him  ;)

Religion... such an interesting topic ::) Anyone a theologist?

By the way Herecomesyoursun I love your pic sig *thumbs up*

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

DarkSweetLady

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2007, 08:03:17 PM »

I think George was a very complex person... he didn't really sleep around...
i know only 1 or 2 cases and it basically was out of hurt... and a little confussion i think
- smoking
- drinking alcohol
- doing drugs
these are the only ones he didn't follow for sure... smoking is hard to quit though so i can see not quitting right away..

i think george was a good follower overall of the religion though... better towards the later years of his life... he was settling down more....

8)

~the guiding light in all your love shines on~

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2007, 10:06:08 PM »

As I understand it, Hare Krishna devotees are not supposed to have any artificial stimulants, including tea and coffee, in addition to the traditional drugs, alcohol, cigarettes. They are also supposed to have sex only for procreation. Srila Prabhupada gave George a pass on these stricter requirements (including shaving his head) because he believed George was doing more good out in the world where he was, and in his lifestyle it would be too hard to keep up the disciplines that the devotees in the temple followed.

For more information than you probably want to know, see http://www.geocities.com/priitaa/gh_and_sp.htm
Cheers. :)
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

BlueMeanie

« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2007, 10:06:54 AM »

I think he had great respect for The radha krishna temple, but I'm pretty sure George put together his own 'religion', combining all the parts of other religions that he found relevant to his life. I don't think it's an uncommon thing to do.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2007, 02:38:14 PM »

Olivia agrees with you, BM. She said so in an interview I recall reading, although I forget where. At least one biographer asserts that George became less interested in the Krishna people after his favorite teachers died, and he thought they were more interested in his money than his spiritual development. But I think most people pick and choose the pieces of whatever philosophy they follow anyway; to do otherwise would be pretty mindless.
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 1.081 seconds with 53 queries.