Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: Sgt. Pepper Vs. Abbey Road Vs. Revolver  (Read 35671 times)

Frightwolf

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Sgt. Pepper Vs. Abbey Road Vs. Revolver
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2005, 02:20:41 AM »

Quote from: Herecomesyoursun

Personally I find Abbey Road too inconsistent to be in a class with most Beatles albums, but I fail to see how it is Mcartneys first solo album.

Ydoll Gwyn

• Getting Better
« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2005, 07:10:49 AM »

The push to do an album comes from McCartney. The medley idea comes from McCartney. The structure of many songs (arrangement, instruments, etc) comes from McCartney.

Lennon had lost interest, as all know, in the Beatles as a group. Only two GOOD songs for Road, the rest are fragments or Yoko-penned.

George has many good songs on offer, but Paul doesn't commit to anything except Sun, and the McCartney-like sugary Something.

Not a Macca album - come on!

Ydoll Gwyn

• Getting Better
« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2005, 07:13:12 AM »

Quote from: Frightwolf
Revolver is more of a solo album for Paul than Abbey Road will ever be.

Truly one of the more ignorant statements made on this board. If any album was a group effort, with them all totally committed, it was REVOLVER!

I'm sorry to be harsh Frightwolf, but ya gotta face facts man!

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2005, 08:12:06 AM »

Abbey RD. laregely was constructed from a lot of old material The Beatles had lying around unfinished. Which tracks were Yoko Penned?
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2005, 09:21:51 AM »

Not even trying to hide the bias against McCartney now. Making things up just to make Paul look bad. They all agreed to do the album because they knew Let It Be was not a fitting ending to their career as Beatles. They say this on the Anthology documentary as well as in several interviews.

McCartney commiting only to certain George songs? Right. We all know he wasn't too keen on George getting more than 2 songs on an album, but where is the proof that HE had the last say about what George songs ended up on an album. Proof, not just conjecture. BTW, they are both great songs. More than worthy of being there.

And I think it's news to ALL of us to find out that Yoko, wrote any of John's songs. Partly because I'm thinking it didn't happen. But again, proof.

Oh, and Something a McCartney like sugary song??? This is one of George's great accomplishments. It's a beautiful song and it's a put down to George the way YOUR comparing it to McCartney. Although I think most would agree that comparing it to McCartney's writing in his Beatle days is HARDLY a put down and more of a compliment.

Oh well, everyone has their theories. Mostly based on years of rumors and misinformation. Not to mention how our personal biases effect what we believe to be fact. I know I have mine too.

In Blue Hawaii

• Getting Better
« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2005, 10:19:10 AM »

Quote from: Ydoll_Gwyn
The push to do an album comes from McCartney. The medley idea comes from McCartney. The structure of many songs (arrangement, instruments, etc) comes from McCartney.

Lennon had lost interest, as all know, in the Beatles as a group.

I agree, but even Paul and George were losing interest in the Beatles as a group at that time. Klein's lawyer's coming in, Paul's lawyers coming in, it was a war zone. But judging what I hear on the record, the guys are having a ball! :)

In Blue Hawaii

• Getting Better
« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2005, 10:24:38 AM »

At the moment it's 'in' to class Pepper as overrated.

At the moment it's "in" to say that it's "in" to class Pepper as overrated.

;D

Frightwolf

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #67 on: April 07, 2005, 07:17:22 PM »

Truly one of the more ignorant statements made on this board. If any album was a group effort, with them all totally committed, it was REVOLVER!

I'm sorry to be harsh Frightwolf, but ya gotta face facts man!

They may have been committed to the album, but the album certainly SOUNDS like it's a Macca album.

Ydoll Gwyn

• Getting Better
« Reply #68 on: April 07, 2005, 08:45:12 PM »

Quote from: Maccalvr
Not even trying to hide the bias against McCartney now. Making things up just to make Paul look bad. They all agreed to do the album because they knew Let It Be was not a fitting ending to their career as Beatles. They say this on the Anthology documentary as well as in several interviews.

McCartney commiting only to certain George songs? Right. We all know he wasn't too keen on George getting more than 2 songs on an album, but where is the proof that HE had the last say about what George songs ended up on an album. Proof, not just conjecture. BTW, they are both great songs. More than worthy of being there.

And I think it's news to ALL of us to find out that Yoko, wrote any of John's songs. Partly because I'm thinking it didn't happen. But again, proof.

Oh, and Something a McCartney like sugary song??? This is one of George's great accomplishments. It's a beautiful song and it's a put down to George the way YOUR comparing it to McCartney. Although I think most would agree that comparing it to McCartney's writing in his Beatle days is HARDLY a put down and more of a compliment.

Oh well, everyone has their theories. Mostly based on years of rumors and misinformation. Not to mention how our personal biases effect what we believe to be fact. I know I have mine too.

And all this from someone who used to call herself Maccalvr.

Just a few things: they didn't all "agree" to do the album. They didn't know it was to be their last. They were pushed and bullied by McCartney. What they may say today is colored by hindsight (or Macca revisionism in his case).

SOMETHING: well overrated, as I've said before. Naff lyrics for a start. It's pleasant enough, but the fact that YOU (Sandra) think it's one of his great accomplishments shows how Macca-sugary it is!

Your comment about Yoko and Apple Beatle's asking which song by Yoko shows a sore lack of understanding of the joko thing.

Because is the Yoko-penned thing (or at the very least, huge input). The goofy "because the sky is blue, it turns me on" stuff brands it Yoko straight off. And you do know  the cliches in Imagine come largely from the Ono brain? No? You didn't know that? Go read Grapefruit.

I don't know why, but I'm still amazed at what the macca-lovers will say the moment their lad gets criticised! Kind of makes me want to stir things up even more ...

Ydoll Gwyn

• Getting Better
« Reply #69 on: April 07, 2005, 08:48:08 PM »

Quote from: Frightwolf

They may have been committed to the album, but the album certainly SOUNDS like it's a Macca album.

Frightwolf

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #70 on: April 07, 2005, 09:17:06 PM »

I think that rave is so wide of reality, so far off the mark, that I blush for you. I don't think you understand the Beatles at all. But that's OK. No one's gonna die because of that!

The minute you can refute George's, "We thought we should do one better for Abbey Road," comment he made on the Anthology, I'll accept your premature opening.

Frightwolf

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #71 on: April 07, 2005, 09:17:41 PM »

I don't know why, but I'm still amazed at what the macca-lovers will say the moment their lad gets criticised! Kind of makes me want to stir things up even more ...

In a sense, trolling.  No wait, it is trolling.  Watch yourself, Maria.

Fried_Chicken

« Reply #72 on: April 07, 2005, 09:32:12 PM »

I think that rave is so wide of reality, so far off the mark, that I blush for you. I don't think you understand the Beatles at all. But that's OK. No one's gonna die because of that!

PAul is the best. Shut up

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #73 on: April 07, 2005, 11:29:17 PM »

Ydoll, there really is no talking to you. You're very rude and never, ever give anyone else the benefit of the doubt. I've had debates before with people who have very strong convictions, but all had the guts to admit when they were wrong. You cannot. So it's useless. Think what you want. You have some sort of God complex for Lennon and think McCartney is trite. Okay. I called myself Maccalvr because that's who got me into the Beatles when I was 6. I'm not blind to Lennon's genius, and I'm well aware of accomplishments. I wasn't sticking up for Paul in my post, I was debating your statements as I do not believer them to be facts. Tell me to go read Grapefruit when your the one who says JOhn speaks out of his ass half the time? Good one. You think Yoko's any better? Did you actaully believe she was playing keyboards on stage with John too? Anyway, I think you have a lot of knowledge of the Beatles, and post great things when you are not being condescending. I think there's a way to debate without throwing in that sort of attitude which obviously doesn't fly well with most people.

lennonlemon

• A Thousand Pages
  • I Believe in Beatles
« Reply #74 on: April 07, 2005, 11:41:59 PM »

something, a bad song?

that's like saying the beatles were a bad band.
All You Need is Love  :K) :K) :K)

Frightwolf

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #75 on: April 08, 2005, 12:33:16 AM »

Quote from: Maccalvr
Ydoll, there really is no talking to you. You're very rude and never, ever give anyone else the benefit of the doubt. I've had debates before with people who have very strong convictions, but all had the guts to admit when they were wrong. You cannot. So it's useless. Think what you want. You have some sort of God complex for Lennon and think McCartney is trite. Okay. I called myself Maccalvr because that's who got me into the Beatles when I was 6. I'm not blind to Lennon's genius, and I'm well aware of accomplishments. I wasn't sticking up for Paul in my post, I was debating your statements as I do not believer them to be facts. Tell me to go read Grapefruit when your the one who says JOhn speaks out of his ass half the time? Good one. You think Yoko's any better? Did you actaully believe she was playing keyboards on stage with John too? Anyway, I think you have a lot of knowledge of the Beatles, and post great things when you are not being condescending. I think there's a way to debate without throwing in that sort of attitude which obviously doesn't fly well with most people.

What's amazing with Ydoll is that he/she (Maria, Ydoll, whichever gender he/she wants to be) tells us that we're off-base, wrong, this that this that, but who's agreeing with YDoll? He/she is agreeing with him/herself, and that's it.  So who's off-base? Ydoll.

Bruno

• A Thousand Pages
  • The choice is yours, don't be late
« Reply #76 on: April 08, 2005, 01:47:27 AM »

SOMETHING: well overrated, as I've said before. Naff lyrics for a start. It's pleasant enough, but the fact that YOU (Sandra) think it's one of his great accomplishments shows how Macca-sugary it is!

I don't think you have a clue of what you're talking about!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!

!!!