Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: The Starclub Tapes  (Read 5416 times)

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
The Starclub Tapes
« on: March 20, 2004, 10:12:40 PM »

this early work tho not the greastest sounding is perhaps my favorite album....this helped shape them.the beatles a barroom recording would be a better title.the playlist
I'm Gonna Sit Right Down & Cry

Roll over Beethoven

Twist And Shout

Hippy Hippy Shake

Besame Mucho

Reminiscing

Your Feet's Too Big

Nothin' Shakin'

Everybody's Tryin' To Be My Baby

Kansas City/ Hey-Hey-Hey-Hey

Be-bop-a-lula

Hallelujah, I love Her So

Red Sails in the Sunset

To Know her Is to Love Her

Talkin' 'Bout You

Little Queenie

Falling in Love Again

Where Have You Been All My Life?

I Saw Her Standing There

Long tall sally
 and there are a few outakes too little queenie was one
this would have been the better time to see them b4 they were too popular.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
Re: The Starclub Tapes
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2004, 10:16:09 PM »

The first release of tapes from The Beatles German stage show recorded 31st December 1962.
These tapes were recorded by Adrian Barber on a mono Grundig reel-to-reel tape recorder using a hand-held microphone. He had been asked to make recordings by Ted "Kingsize" Taylor, a Liverpool singer who sung with the Dominos. Once the Beatles has some commercial success, Taylor offered these tapes to Brian Epstein, but Brian would only offer as much as £20 for them as he felt they had no comercial value. Little did Brian realise, but the tapes did in fact legally belong to Parlophone anyway, as they had been made AFTER the signing to E.M.I. of their contracts, but there was some confusion over the date of recording of the tapes. Although, once again, listening to them, it was clearly December 1962 ... John mentions Christmas between songs, and Buddy Holly's "Reminiscing" had only just been released in late 1962.
They then lay in derelict ofices until 1972 when they were found under piles of rubbish by Allan Williams who had managed the Beatles before Brian. Williams offered the tapes to George and Ringo for £5,000, but at that time Apple were going through financial difficulties so they too turned them down.

After spending £50,000 on cleaning up the sound, and transferring them to 16-track tapes, Williams found a buyer and the first release was in Germany. Immediately the Beatles sued, but lost the case because the judge ruled that the tapes were of historical interest, they were not trying to fool anyone by pretending it was a new release (the records clearly stated "old recordings"), and, the Beatles should have sued earlier and not left it until a release was imminent.

33 songs are apparently on the tapes, 26 are here. But the U.K. version of this album (and German version) had 4 tracks different to the U.S. version, which of course meant that the four "missing" songs in the U.K. often turn up as long lost rarities. The missing four were :
"Where Have You Been All My Life"
"Sheila"
"I'm Gonna Sit Right Down And Cry Over You"
"Till There Was You".
Two other tracks were alternate versions of "To Know Her Is To Love Her" and "Roll Over Beethoven", which obviously weren't required as the best versions were used.
This means one track is left, "My Girl Is Red Hot" which has never appeared anywhere !

Unfortunately, the finished article caught the Beatles just as they were about to release "Please Please Me" in Britain, and clearly the thoughts were on home. Their lack of enthusiasm comes across in the inroductions and comments between the songs and of course the recording quality is still very poor.
BUT this is an essential historic document.

In 1981, after the Lingasong release was deleted, the rights to the tapes were again sold and again were treated to a further re-mix providing a bit clearer sound yet again. But the new owners Audio-Fidelity spoilt re-releases with cheap packaging and labelling errors.

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2004, 10:26:33 PM »

The Beatles were not feeling all that Fab about being away from their Liverpool homes and families during the holiday season of 1962. The quartet was on the continent in the heart of Europe, performing one last gig in Hamburg, Germany, where the band earned its wings jamming together on stage.

Last Night In Hamburg features 28 live performances. 1962 Live At The Star Club contains 23 stage recordings. These two particular releases contain most of the Hamburg tracks that were rediscovered and first released in 1977. Within a scant calendar year of this salvaged performance, the Fab Four would become international media superstars.

The Mersey Sound actually began on the Elbe Fairway connecting the Port of Hamburg with the North Sea. The seductive environment of the Repabahn red light district fortified the early Beatles into a hard working bar band, eventually hammering their sound into an international sensation for the 20th Century.

The Beatles of late 1962 were struggling for recognition at this stage in their emerging career. Their first single, "Love Me Do" on Parlaphone Records, had been released in September just cracking the Top 20 singles chart in the U.K. Unfortunately, only two original Lennon/McCartney compositions appeared in their Hamburg set: Paul's "I Saw Her Standing There" and John's "Ask Me Why".

Dispatched abroad during the Christmas season of 1962, the Beatles performed one final session on stage at the Star Club in Hamburg, Germany. Ted 'King-Size' Taylor, another Liverpool musician, decided to tape the band as an amateur recording. These tapes were offered to Beatles manager Brian Epstein who later declined to buy them.

Although certainly in very rough form, these raw recordings are the only opportunity to hear The Beatles as a bar band. Both discs begin with a German emcee introducing The Beatles as they launch into the raucous "I Saw Here Standing There". The song may lack Harrison's famous lead guitar solo from the familiar 1963 studio version, but the live energy of The Beatles on stage is infectious and overpowering.

The three principal Beatles each took their turn behind the microphone. John Lennon's lead vocal on "Ask Me Why" is supported by the harmony vocals of Harrision and McCartney. Lennon ripped up two Berry covers, "Sweet Little Sixteen" and "I'm Talking About You", with his voluminous vocals.

Paul McCartney is spotlighted singing lead vocals on "Besame Mucho" and "Red Sails In The Sunset". A forgotten Saxophone player added a classic rock'n roll blast to McCartney's jaunty vocal on "Hully Gully". "Long Tall Sally" captured McCartney bellowing away on one his favorite rave-up rockers from his youth.

George Harrison stuttered slightly on guitar during his solo lead intro for "Roll Over Beethoven", which he sang live as late as 1991 on tour in Japan. Harrison handled lead vocals on "Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby" and the obscure "Little Sheila".

Out of the many variations of these historic recordings that have appeared on vinyl and CD during the past 25 years, two tracks remain missing from either of these two releases: "Till There Was You" and "Reminiscing". The latter of which was previously available on a 1991 Sony two disc set.

These rusty recordings offer the only remaining glimpse into early Beatles performances. The historic importance of this appearance is an eargasm for Beatles fans four decades on. Thought to be lost tracks like "I'm Gonna Sit Right Down And Cry (Over You)", "Shimmy Shake", and "Reminiscing" present The Beatles rocking out in their unique style; which later took the world by storm in 1964. Not to be passed over, these unruly Beatles rule!

All known remaining songs from this Beatles performance:
I'm Gonna Sit Right Down And Cry (Over You) * I Saw Her Standing There * Roll Over Beethoven * Hippy Hippy Shake * Sweet Little Sixteen * Lend Me Your Comb * Your Feet's Too Big * Twist And Shout * Mr. Moonlight * A Taste Of Honey * Besame Mucho * Reminiscing * Kansas City (Hey, Hey, Hey, Hey) * Where Have You Been All My Life * Hully Gully * Till There Was You * Ain't Nothin' Shakin' (But Leaves On The Trees) * To Know Her Is To Love Her * Little Queenie * Falling In Love Again * Ask Me Why * Be-Bop-A-Lula * Hallelujah, I Love Her So * Little Sheila * Red Sails In The Sunset * Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby * Matchbox * I'm Talking About You * Shimmy Shake * Long Tall Sally * I Remember You

by Timothy Tilghman

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2004, 03:03:24 PM »

Brilliant! Thanks PC :)

There are just a couple of errors in Timothy Tilghman's article:-

These tracks were culled from three seperate sets and not just ONE performance.

Hully Gully is not by The Beatles at all; it may be King Size Taylor with a couple of the Beatles, although this hasn't been confirmed.

Red Hot - although not yet officially released on CD, it has had some kind or release as it appeared on the Anthology video and DVD.

Sheila - (not Little Sheila) was not particularly obscure; it had been a big hit for Tommy Roe in 1962

Reminiscing - this Buddy Holly number featuring George on lead vocals was released on the original Lingasong LP back in 1977 and so HAD been available long before the 1991 sony release.

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2004, 02:23:09 AM »

i only offered what i found to be the best reports
gully has a few beats on it

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2004, 02:31:53 AM »

[quote by=pc31 link=Blah.pl?b=albums,m=1079820760,s=4 date=1080094989]i only offered what i found to be the best reports
gully has a few beats on it[/quote]

Yeah, those articles were very informative actually, thanks :)

I've tried looking up on the internet what tracks were played and when, but there are so many conflicting reports that in the end I gave up!

However, I DO have a complete list of all the songs played at the three or four sessions (depending on who you believe!), which I'll post when I get over my jet-lag!!!!!!!

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2004, 10:37:07 AM »

In Eric Krasker's new book (not yet in English) he says there were three sets and Hully Gully was not sung by the Beatles.
When The End posts his list I'll tell you if there are any differences.

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2004, 11:33:55 AM »

[quote by=zipp link=Blah.pl?b=albums,m=1079820760,s=6 date=1080124627]In Eric Krasker's new book (not yet in English) he says there were three sets and Hully Gully was not sung by the Beatles.
When The End posts his list I'll tell you if there are any differences.[/quote]

Is that the French book? I found a page of it on a website and it makes for very interesting reading - unfortunately it doesn't go into full detail and, as you say, the book isn't available in English yet. I have Hans Olof Gottfridsson's book "From Cavern to Star Club" which says there were 4 performances, but I tend to believe Krasker's theory. The track list in Gottfridsson's book is comprehensive though - that's what I'll post on here soon.

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2004, 01:52:50 PM »

Yes,it's the French book.Krasker disproves Gottfriedsson's 4 set theory.In fact he says there were only two and a half since the third set was only half Beatles.A lot of Gott's sets are theoretical versions that have never been heard...

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2004, 01:47:33 AM »

is it soon yet????

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2004, 01:53:04 AM »

[quote by=pc31 link=Blah.pl?b=albums,m=1079820760,s=9 date=1080265653]is it soon yet????[/quote]

It's soonish! I got the book out tonight, so I'll post the list here... erm... pretty soon!

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2004, 02:05:53 AM »

no rush just hurry.............i wonder if any accounting is reliable people act like they know it all when it comes to beatles some might tell a tales or two.i heard gully was teddy taylor too but he said a few were there but he may have lied.who would call him on it??

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2004, 05:22:03 PM »

Krasker has tried to get as much as possible checked by people who were around at the time.And when he doesn't know, he says so.

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2004, 06:19:49 PM »

[quote by=zipp link=Blah.pl?b=albums,m=1079820760,s=12 date=1080321723]Krasker has tried to get as much as possible checked by people who were around at the time.And when he doesn't know, he says so.[/quote]

I've read what both Krasker and Gottfridsson have to say on the subject and I reckon I now have a pretty definitive set list...coming soon :)

Ssarah

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2004, 04:06:48 AM »

Wow that was great thank you!
Beatle Ssarah on the forum,
Everyday she posts some more on.
Sometimes triv and sometimes questions,
Chooses tracks and lists the best uns!

Wayne L.

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2004, 10:40:03 AM »

I listened to The Beatles Live At The Star Club 1962 when it was first released back in 77, I thought it captured the Beatles at their rawest despite not sounding too good.

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2004, 10:16:20 PM »

I've posted the set list at last! Sorry for the delay!

http://beatles.murashev.com/cgi-bin/Blah/Blah.pl?b=cc,m=1080596529

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2005, 06:30:15 AM »

What is the best sounding release of these tracks?

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 71 queries.