Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: Eight Days A Week  (Read 35674 times)

Fab4Fan

• Getting Better
Re: Eight Days A Week
« Reply #140 on: September 19, 2016, 03:25:20 AM »

Then I said (in reference to the Beatles records and stuff being burned in the Deep South after the Jesus comment)...

I live in one of the cities that organized a Beatle Burn back in '66 - Waycross, Georgia (also the childhood home of Gram Parsons).  I learned about it many years ago while reading one of the Beatles-related books in my collection. The book had a photo or two of the event and was captioned something to the effect of "Fans burn records at radio station WAYX in Waycross, GA".  I lived in a nearby town at that time and was surprised to see Waycross connected to a moment in Beatles history - albeit, not a positive moment. Oddly enough, that station remained active well into the '80s if not the early '90s. There was a large open field beside the station and I always wondered if that's where the bonfire was held and if any remnants remained buried just beneath the surface. For years I thought about asking permission to dig around in that field but never actually followed-thru with it. Now it's covered with an apartment complex - but... the old radio station building serves as the management offices - so at least that part of the history remains.
I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.

KelMar

« Reply #141 on: September 19, 2016, 05:23:18 AM »

I live in one of the cities that organized a Beatle Burn back in '66 - Waycross, Georgia

These pictures make me feel queasy!

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #142 on: September 19, 2016, 11:58:03 AM »

poor, sad people, burned and destroyed incredible memories and memorabilia.   icon_good

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #143 on: September 19, 2016, 01:07:55 PM »

poor, sad people, burned and destroyed incredible memories and memorabilia.   icon_good

True, that. Ideological absurdity aside, think of the current market value of all that burned up stuff. I could retire.

:o

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

KelMar

« Reply #144 on: September 19, 2016, 05:42:50 PM »

True, that. Ideological absurdity aside, think of the current market value of all that burned up stuff. I could retire.

:o

Yep.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #145 on: September 19, 2016, 10:06:57 PM »

As long as we're being retrospective, I'd like to mention these two albums...

http://youtu.be/QAl05ADbEWM?list=PLPnUJayFAljdHh3DaS9oSuYDyx2BQkTmm

http://youtu.be/drpmQnFmiNU

If you're lucky enough to find an early pressing of this one, when you peel off the cover you'll find the same cover underneath.
I can stay till it's time to go

KelMar

« Reply #146 on: September 20, 2016, 12:39:45 AM »

^^^

There's just no telling how many of these future treasures were burnt or how many fingers were burnt attempting to burn them.   :'(

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #147 on: September 20, 2016, 10:14:48 PM »

^

Yes, I remember the burnings in 1966.  He was misquoted by the press...

What he really said was that they were bigger than Rod...

Rod Stewart would not be big for another eight years.

He did apologize to God, Rod and the press...

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #148 on: September 20, 2016, 10:56:15 PM »

Did Eight Days A Week mention this at all?

KelMar

« Reply #149 on: September 21, 2016, 05:57:33 AM »

No, but I think it might be in the Blu Ray bonus material.  ;)

KelMar

« Reply #150 on: September 21, 2016, 06:01:03 AM »

This gives a good description of what's in the deluxe edition.

'The Beatles: Eight Days A Week - The Touring Years' Available Now for Pre-Order

BeatleFan

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #151 on: September 21, 2016, 06:29:23 AM »

Saw the film earlier this arve. Just...wonderful. The opening restored sound and color footage of She Loves You live in 1963 is worth the ticket itself!
Indeed. I thought the documentary was great. Full of personality and charm because it presented the Beatles as the Beatles. It was an enjoyable watch, but also quite sad at times. For me at least. That's the thing with nostalgia, I guess. Anyway, definitely a 5/5. Bring on the Blu-Ray release.

Fab4Fan

• Getting Better
« Reply #152 on: September 24, 2016, 03:30:32 PM »

Thank goodness the film has done so well - many theaters are extending the run and venues have also been added. That stroke of good fortune has allowed me to secure a ticket to ride to Jacksonville, Florida (Gator Bowl concert '64) this evening to see the film in all of its big-screen glory! It would be an understatement to exclaim how excited I am for this opportunity! Cheers!   ;D
  partypeople
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 03:52:48 PM by Fab4Fan »

Fab4Fan

• Getting Better
« Reply #153 on: September 24, 2016, 03:45:32 PM »

These pictures make me feel queasy!

Yep, those are the photos!  And look at John's grimaced expression in the bottom right hand corner of the second photo. Although in no way actually related to the bonfires of Beatles ephemera, I've always thought it to be so reflective of that moment - a pained expression of disappointment by a man who wanted to spread love for humanity but had unintentionally ignited such a maelstrom of hatred.

KelMar

« Reply #154 on: September 24, 2016, 04:06:58 PM »

Yep, those are the photos!  And look at John's grimaced expression in the bottom right hand corner of the second photo. Although in no way actually related to the bonfires of Beatles ephemera, I've always thought it to be so reflective of that moment - a pained expression of disappointment by a man who wanted to spread love for humanity but had unintentionally ignited such a maelstrom of hatred.

Wow, Fab, I didn't notice that. I just noticed that Ringo was gone! But you are right; that is interesting. I'm glad to hear you can see the film in the theater. Have a great time!

Fab4Fan

• Getting Better
« Reply #155 on: September 25, 2016, 04:02:40 AM »

Yes, there was a segment that focused upon it.

Fab4Fan

• Getting Better
« Reply #156 on: September 25, 2016, 04:17:43 AM »

Just made it back from viewing the film. All I can say is if there is any way you can make it to a theater to see it for yourself it's a must. It was Fabulous! Oh, and sold out. Folks were being turned away even before the doors opened. The young man working the box office strongly resembled Sean Lennon - I took a photo and will upload it soon just to see what you all think about it. Anyway, back to the film, I thoroughly enjoyed it and so did the rest of the audience based upon their reactions during the film - laughing heartily, applauding, etc. - and statements afterward. All in all, it was a great experience and one I'm glad to have shared with fellow Beatlemaniacs.

The only thing I would have done differently is to have added John's famous "I'd like to thank you... and I hope we passed the audition" quip at the end of the Rooftop concert segment which ended the film.   
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 04:20:15 AM by Fab4Fan »

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #157 on: September 25, 2016, 04:24:17 AM »

Yes, John's quip would have been a good way to end the film.

Thanks for the review.  I've got a feeling that Eight Days A Week will have an extended run in theaters.

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #158 on: September 25, 2016, 10:48:01 AM »

No spoiler, but I liked the way it ended. During the credits roll, that is. As part of the rooftop concert segment, yea, the quote would have been great.

:)
'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
  • Oh, woe is me, and Mo am I.
« Reply #159 on: September 25, 2016, 03:54:33 PM »

I just saw this film yesterday.  Two parts really stood out for me:
Learning that the Beatles wouldn't play to segregated audiences (per their contract).
Paul being so emotional about how he felt when Ringo came on board.  Wow!
Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Page created in 0.795 seconds with 81 queries.