Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: The Rolling Stones In Hyde Park  (Read 6654 times)

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
Re: The Rolling Stones In Hyde Park
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2014, 03:52:21 AM »

I think I prefer the accusing stare... :o

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2014, 03:58:10 AM »

I Think Ive said this before but IMO they were completely ruined when Ron Wood joined

He was in a kind of boy band 'The Faces' of the 70's, I never liked his style, to me he adds nothing to the band

Shame about Brian, he went off the rails big time (and apparently was accidentally murdered) then came Mick Taylor who added to the band in a very big way, unfortunately I think Keef just didn't like him.

Brian was the original leader wasnt he? When the leader was effectively the guy who could find good songs to cover. I suppose the growing importance of self penned material undermined his position.

I wasn't sure if Mick Taylor jumped or was pushed from the Stones. I seem to recall a story when I was a lad that he wanted to get back to playing purer blues or something.

KelMar

« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2014, 05:04:04 AM »

Hmm...I thought I was the only one who prefers the Stones' earlier material. Good to know I'm not alone.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2014, 05:15:48 AM »

I think I prefer the accusing stare... :o

Nah!  That's the closest to a smile as you would ever get from him.  Hard to believe he's pushing eighty!
I can stay till it's time to go

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2014, 05:17:58 AM »

I have heard that Mick Taylor was tired of the lifestyle, getting concerned about his personal well-being. He'd gotten into heroin, etc. And yes, Keith was envious of his talent and grew hostile towards him. He pretty much had to leave.

Too bad. He had a lot to offer.

:)

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

nimrod

« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2014, 05:39:35 AM »

Brian was the original leader wasnt he? When the leader was effectively the guy who could find good songs to cover. I suppose the growing importance of self penned material undermined his position.

I wasn't sure if Mick Taylor jumped or was pushed from the Stones. I seem to recall a story when I was a lad that he wanted to get back to playing purer blues or something.

Brian formed the band yes, but when Mick/Keef strted to write he had his nose pushed out, then the drugs & booze took over his fragile personality, he was quite a weak insecure kinda bloke easily addicted apparently who was easily hurt. I think they ended up asking him to leave as he became a liability, never lucid in the end.

From what Ive read, Im sure Mick Taylor jumped as he was sick of Keef bossing him about and treating him like a sideman, lets face it, Keef was outshone by Mick T on stage as a guitarist (who was a virtuoso) I think he got bored playing riffs as well, he liked to play solo's like on 'Can You Hear Me Knockin' but there wasn't much outlet for those in the Stones so he got kinda stifled I think, that and Keef bossing him about, eventually he just left.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2014, 06:10:30 AM »

No prancing around on stage.  Mick Taylor just stood there playing magnificent guitar...

The Rolling Stones - You Can't Always Get What You Want (with Mick Taylor)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2014, 06:19:54 AM »

nimrod

« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2014, 09:08:23 AM »

I have heard that Mick Taylor was tired of the lifestyle, getting concerned about his personal well-being. He'd gotten into heroin, etc. And yes, Keith was envious of his talent and grew hostile towards him. He pretty much had to leave.

Too bad. He had a lot to offer.

:)

Yeah that's true klang but tbh he didn't really fit into the Stones who are a riff based garage band type outfit, I remember him saying when he first jammed with them he couldn't believe theyd actually made those records as they were so bad

With his talent he was up there with Clapton Beck Page etc

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2014, 09:32:52 AM »

The clearance of the later material I referred to earlier has only made the CD-sized hole between their debut (which I chanced upon a few years ago) and 'Out Of Our Heads' look bigger.

Although I have got it on record, it's actually the only CD I really yearn for!

The reluctance of the 'organisation' and/or the group to properly release the Brian era (lack of BBC recordings - the only group for which this is still the case - no bonus tracks, no mono/stereo releases, no first two LPs) has made me love the 60s stuff more, and increasingly dislike the RSR/Virgin material.

Here's hoping they do something about it in April when the 50th Anniversary comes around.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2014, 09:39:50 AM »

How much is that is real money?
If it's as much as I think it is, I don't yearn for it that much!

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2014, 03:37:45 PM »

Est aestimari CCXLVII denarii

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2014, 03:44:35 PM »

About $130 USD

;)

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2014, 06:33:18 PM »

The day I pay $130 for a single CD, which should be available anyway, is the day I pay £80 to watch a premiership match in an all-seater stadium. It ain't going to happen!

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2014, 07:47:07 PM »

Get a Behringer U-CONTROL UCA202 for £25 and hook it up between your turntable and computer to get digital files for the tracks on the LP.  Then burn a disc.

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UCA202.aspx

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-UCA202-U-Control-low-latency-Interface/dp/B000KW2YEI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389815050&sr=8-1&keywords=behringer+u+control+uca202

KelMar

« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2014, 08:47:47 PM »

The day I pay $130 for a single CD, which should be available anyway, is the day I pay £80 to watch a premiership match in an all-seater stadium. It ain't going to happen!

Yowza, that is a chunk of change!

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2014, 10:35:30 AM »

Yes, Hello Goodbye, I could do that, or the men in suits could just put out on a reasonably priced CD of what is, in terms of the Stones' back catalogue, the equivalent of 'With the Beatles', 'Freewheelin' Bob Dylan' or 'Axis: Bold as Love'!

I'm energised by the fact that the 'only' DVD I would always search the charity shop racks for ('Mapp & Lucia' - an old Channel 4 series) turned up yesterday for £2.99.....so why not one of those early CDs of 'No. 2'?

As for the As/Bs compilation idea, we seem to get endless repackages of albums that people have already got or, in my case, don't want in the first place ('Ziggy Stardust', 'Quadrophenia', 'Dark Side of the Moon'), and yet 60s 45s by The Who, Bolan, Bowie, The Pink Floyd etc. which are highly sought after (and invariably a hundred times better) are never released.
Bizarre.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2014, 11:39:59 PM »

Agreed.  Maybe, as you said, something will be done about it this 50th anniversary year.

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2014, 04:26:54 PM »

Just looked in vain at The Stones web-site to see if anything's around the corner for the first two albums.
Answer, of course, no.
However, just to confirm that their back catalogue is in such a ramshackle condition, they've listed the U.S. track-listing of 'Out Of Our Heads' to illustrate the U.K. version.....and this is the official web-site!
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Page created in 0.628 seconds with 76 queries.