Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beatles fanzines of the early 80's  (Read 4960 times)

Grey Wyler

• One And One Is Two
Beatles fanzines of the early 80's
« on: June 03, 2010, 11:25:05 PM »

Hope someone can shed some light on these. In the early 1980's there was a spate of beatles related fanzines put out. They sourced from the West of Scotland and Liverpool.

They were advertised pretty heavily in The Beatles Book monthly. From Scotland a George Harrison zine titled Soft Touch seemed to run for quite a few issues and Glass Onion was i believe a Beatles Zine.  Piggies came from a Newton Le Willows address, i believe this was a Beatles zine.

I have been collecting Beatles and other related music zines for years and have never seen any of these mysterious publications.
is there anyone that can throw any light on the subject?

Bobber

Re: Beatles fanzines of the early 80's
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 07:27:00 AM »

Hi and welcome.

I'm an absolute zero when it comes to fanzines, but I'm pretty sure someone can answer your question in here.

Grey Wyler

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 07:30:19 PM »

Thanks Bobber.

Hope someone out there has a little info. This period of Beatles Zine history is a big gap in my collection.

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 05:04:02 PM »

Just come across this post. I'll look in my collection and see what I can do. There was the London Beatles Fanzine, which I'm sure you know about. Then one simply called Beatles, edited by Eddie Miles. One called Welcome Beatles, which seems to be Spanish. Another is called Day Tripper by Kevin Wareing. Then there was Cavern Mecca. Another called Come Together and so on. If I knew how to put images here, I could shows the covers of the hundreds of Beatles fanzines I have

Bobber

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 08:40:27 PM »

Bill, there's a tutorial on how to upload pictures here: http://www.dmbeatles.com/forums/index.php?topic=7946.0

Or send them to me and I'll be happy to post your pics.

Grey Wyler 2

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 09:05:27 AM »

Not been logged in for a while, so had forgot all my details and have a new email, so re registered on site.

Still chasing info on these, and i have found out a little more, but not too much. Soft Touch was indeed a George Harrison fanzine, Glass Onion was dedicated to The Beatles and both of these were published in Glasgow; there was also a third zine titled Dove Tail Joint, that too was from the West of Scotland. Piggies was a Beatles zine, and the ad i read had an address in Newton Le Willows, i have still to follow up on this. I was told that there was a little controversy over b****ing and photo copyright and this resulted in The Beatles Book stopping Personal Ads for the Fanzines, although that may just be one of those tales that snowball through the years.

Hope someone remembers something. I checked out the Glasgow addresses, but 30 years is a long time, and there was no leads. I'm still intrigued.

Cavern Mecca which Bill mentioned is one i remember well, i always thought that was a great title.

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 45 queries.