Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 44

Author Topic: How Did YOU Discover The Beatles?  (Read 184725 times)

Kagome

• A Beginning
  • Recording Engineer Toshiba EMI & Capitol EMI
Re: How Did YOU Discover The Beatles?
« Reply #660 on: August 23, 2010, 08:23:58 PM »

My Mother and older Sister love The Beatles I grew up listening to them when I was little  and I work at Capitol/EMI and I am around the Master Tapes Who can`t resist listening to them ;)

RingoFan1964

• Getting Better
  • Have you ever wished upon a Starr?
« Reply #661 on: September 15, 2010, 06:37:43 AM »

My Parents used to play the Beatles all the time in the car and many years ago, my friends had a birthday and wanted to watch "A Hard Day's Night" and that was one of the two things that caught my attention. The other thing was that about a month after my friend's birthday, I hurt my ankle and I couldn't find anything else to do with my time waiting for my heel to feel better so my friend bought the CD "Help!" and gave it to me and that was when I totally fell for The Beatles.

End of my story.  ;D
A Starr like no other.

^All my best boys are in this picture.

LovelyLennon.

• One And One Is Two
  • When it gets dark I tow your heart away...
« Reply #662 on: September 20, 2010, 07:01:46 AM »

My story's kind of confusing, and becoming a fan was years in the making. The first time I remember hearing about the Beatles was actually reading their name in an encyclopedia my family had years ago. It all started with the song "Imagine." My parents were in disagreement over the song being played on the radio, my mom said that it was John Lennon, and my dad (as usual) disagreed, and said it was someone else, but couldn't think of their name. And a couple seconds later, he agreed with my mom. After the agreement, my dad mentioned about how John Lennon died, and asked when he did. My mom said "1980", and my dad responded with the usual "Really?" And being the curious thing I was, I decided to look up John Lennon in my family's encyclopedia. I thought it was awful how he had died, and besides that catching my attention, I saw the word "Beatles" mentioned. And for some reason, that stuck with me for years. A couple years later when my family and I had started watching American Idol, there was always a Lennon/McCartney song night, and there was footage of the Beatles showed to their songs being played. Ever since then I had an even more interest in the Beatles and their music, it would be about four years later (and the news of Rockband and the catalog reissues had caught my attention) that I finally had the nerve to kind of research the Beatles and their music. I became a fan on April 12th this year, when I was fourteen, and had first heard of the Beatles when I was ten. Told you it was years in the making. And when my parents asked me a couple months ago about my "sudden" new fascination with the Beatles, I couldn't help but smile a little. Because if it wouldn't have been for "Imagine" and my mom and dad in disagreement over it, I might never have had become a Beatles fan. So I blame it all on them.  ;)

BeatleBug

• One And One Is Two
    • When The Last Beatles Gone
« Reply #663 on: September 24, 2010, 04:15:49 AM »

My first memory of the Beatles was when i was about 4 or 5 and my grandmother said "they cant sing".  "All they do is scream" or something similar.

Littlestarr

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #664 on: September 26, 2010, 01:39:06 PM »

I had already heard a lot about the Beatles. Especially about the concert they gave in Blokker (Netherlands). The concert, a great and real happining, where my parents always told  me about, because they grew up in that area. But it was later, by my best girlfriend at home, when I really became acquainted with the music. I was about 12 years old. I thought it was nice music and it was a revelation to hear their music finally.

Bobber

« Reply #665 on: September 27, 2010, 08:09:37 AM »

Nice. Holland eh? Welcome aboard.

the909musketeer

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #666 on: October 23, 2010, 04:57:26 PM »

Hello all, my name is Nick..

Hmmm, The Beatles..
Who doesn't love them? Who hasn't heard of them besides people
that live under a rock? lol..

Well firstly i come from the third largest city in America, so you're pretty much exposed to alot, or at least alot of different things are available. Most cities have a specific "Oldies Station" and you just hear that kind of music and either love it or hate it. I guess its fair to say I had parents and aunts and uncles and that that grew up in those times, so the oldies were always played in my house, and my older sister and cousins were also turned on by this music.

Though like anything, there are just somethings that click with you or you reject. I don't think anyone who loves The Beatles, or anyone with good taste music needs anybody else to explain the Beatles and what their music does to a person, for them. They were a fun bunch, their songs were catchy, and made you feel good. Simple.

Though there were a ton of favorites my parent's had that i rejected such as Jimmy Buffet, and John Denver and things of that ilk. The more hippy, folk sh*t. But of course i just loved the beatles right away upon first listen. Though i couldn't really tell you when i heard them for the first time, to me they were just always around, and i loved them. Though the Beatles weren't the only thing i loved as young as i was.  i remember being as young as two years old, back in the days when the hip thing to have in your car was a cassette player, my dad would play his Johnny Cash, Bob Dylan, Paul Simon (more specifically "Graceland") and Dire Straits tapes. I knew the words to "Ring of Fire", knew where the swear was censored on "the Boy Named Sue" lol! and loved "Diamonds on the Souls of Her Shoes" all by the ripe ol age of about two or three! So this ol boy knew the classics before most of my own classmates/ generation could think for themselves..lol

Always loved the Beatles tunes espcially though. I remember stealing my mother's Beatles CDs, the albums i didnt really hear before like Abbey Road, and Srgt Pepper because i wanted to know more about this band. i would search out anything i could on them. My sister was also kind enough to make me mix tapes of the Beatles for my birthday and that, and I remember as young as 8 years old being turned on by "I'm Only Sleeping" and "Strw Filds Frvr", soon discovering that most of the Beatles songs i prefered, and really loved were Lennon's. Though at that time i really only knew Paul and Ringo individually, because they stood out the most to me. Always loved Paul's violin shaped bass, and when he'd sing "All My Loving" and "Till There Was You". Of course Ringo ususually appeals to the kids right away, what with yellow sub and all.. But also if you were a kid from the 80's as i was, your first introduction to Ringo was probably through the children's program "Shining Time Station"  as the pleasant narrator/ conductor of the Thomas the Tank Engine stories.. So there were plenty of opportunities to get to know this band, still yet in the 80s, and even now with their version of rock band and such.. They were just a group of guys that appeal to alot of people and i received them well, too. I'm also sure the coming out of "The Beatles Anthology" round '95 or whenever it was also had alot to do with my love for them. This was also around the time i started my first guitar lessons at grammar school. So it was just a great informational time for me. My older sister and her friends also around this time were going through a beatles obsession, phase, and im pretty sure i picked up something from this. I remember her (my older sister Stephanie's) one friend from school Diane, (who was also as obsessed) made her a copy of both A Hard Days Nite and HELP! on a VHS tape to take home, and we would really watch the f*** out of those two films lol!! So i was also turned on by how much fucn they were seemingly having in their movies, and thus decided to learn more about them, and try to become a musician myself...

Well thats my two cents/ story on how I discovered the Beatles, and how they influence my life.

If you'd like to hear some of the music i've recorded please feel free to check out the following link..

peace

http://www.myspace.com/thei909s
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 05:15:25 PM by the909musketeer »

Bobber

« Reply #667 on: October 23, 2010, 07:27:03 PM »

Hi Nick. Welcome aboard and great two cents to read. ;D

the909musketeer

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #668 on: October 29, 2010, 07:17:14 AM »

lol hi, thanks..

beatlesfan502

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #669 on: November 18, 2010, 03:17:16 AM »

Hello :) My name is Gene and I live in Louisville, Ky. This is my first post. I hope to get to know lots of Beatles fans like me.
My story begins in 1973 when I was 10 years old. I used to go to a friends house after school and started listening to Top 40 radio WKLO. I soon began buying 45's of my favorite songs. One of the first I bought was Mind Games by John Lennon. Later I bought Photograph by Ringo Starr. Early in 1974. I bought Jet by Paul McCartney. I noticed that these 3 guys all were on Apple Records. I figured that they must have some connection to each other! I didn't know what it was, so I asked my Dad. He told me that they were members of The Beatles. He said there was a fourth one, but couldn't remember his name! I then remembered seeing a clip of The Beatles at Shea when I was real young. I didn't remember the music, I remembered that it was funny to me seeing the police chase the girls around the field!
I continued buying their solo 45's in 1974 and 1975, but didn't buy a Beatles record until 1976, when Helter Skelter was released as a 45.
In 1977, a friend at school was a Beatles fan, and asked me if I wanted to borrow Magical Mystery Tour. I wasn't very interested in listening to it. I mainly liked singles, not albums. He kept after me and I finally agreed to borrow it. One of the best things I ever did! That album BLEW me away and really started my love of The Beatles. For my 14th birthday, my Grandma sent me $5.00 and I went to K-Mart and bought my own copy of Magical Mystery Tour. After that, I bought all of their albums and their solo albums. I also went on to return the favor to my friend and let him discover a lot of their early music and solo music!
I just can't explain how much The Beatles and their music mean to me. They are truly the best there ever was. And ever wiil be. I'll be a Beatles fan forever!
We All Shine On......

Bobber

« Reply #670 on: November 18, 2010, 12:06:52 PM »

Hi Gene, a very warm welcome to you. There's lots of Beatlesfans around here (there should be. lol!), so I guess you'll find what you were looking for.

rrrkitchen

« Reply #671 on: November 30, 2010, 10:11:32 AM »

Hello,

Up until I was 10 years old, all I listened to at home was classical music.Ironically, my parents were open minded about what I could listen to, but my older sister insisted that I didn't get exposed to what she felt was noise. However, it was because of her that my passion for the Beatles got started. It was her 21st birthday, and she was going to have a party at home - Bach and Handel was not going to get the party into swing. I asked a friend at school if I couldborrow some of his records for the purpose of playing at the party. The first thing he loaned me was the EP of Twist and Shout. It was at that point I had the epiphany. THIS was what I wanted to keep hearing over and over again. After a while of being exposed to more and more Beatles music, I became passionate about drumming and worked hard playing along with Ringo to all the records.

Maybe not an incredibly exciting story, but its what I have.

Cheers,
Maurice.

Bobber

« Reply #672 on: December 02, 2010, 07:50:50 AM »

Older sisters can be a pain in the ass. I know, I have five of them! lol. Welcome to the forums Maurice.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #673 on: December 09, 2010, 06:47:11 PM »

I happen to be an older sister myself and I think we're pretty all right. I got my lil bro into the Beatles!
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #674 on: December 29, 2010, 03:11:39 AM »

It worked the other way around in my family.  My younger sister was one of those hysterical fans.  I had to take her to see A Hard Day's Night and Help! two times each.  She sort of lost interest when she heard Rubber Soul and gave me the album.  That's when I became a real fan.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 05:11:19 AM by Hello Goodbye »
I can stay till it's time to go

AppleScruffy96

• Getting Better
  • Love is old Love is new Love is all Love is you <3
« Reply #675 on: January 13, 2011, 07:38:09 PM »

Hullo, my name is Maxine (people call me Maggie or Mickey from Mickey Mouse for some reason, though  ;D) my Beatles obsession started when I heard Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds (one of my favorites now), I had never ever heard anything like that in my life before and I kept thinking "God, what kind of sounds are those??". I got really interested and decided to listen to Please Please Me and got completely hooked! Right after I heard it I went to the record store and bought it. When I got home I must have played it over 20 times a day! As time went on I listened to every single one of their albums, started developing Beatlemania, watched their movies and bought books about them. Nowadays I'm known as the Beatles girl in school! A label I'm very proud of ^^. One of the reasons I love the Beatles so much is also that after a while I found out I've had them around all my life! From when I lived in Gibraltar as a little girl and playing songs like Yesterday, Let it Be and Get Back on guitar in school! Anyways that's basically my little story of how I discovered the Beatles and I really hope I get to know some of you fellow Beatlemaniacs  :) I'm 14 years old and I'm from Stockholm, Sweden by the way :)! Hope I haven't blabbered on as I usually do, haha. Peace and Love!
Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher storm, but to add color to my sunset sky.

Bobber

« Reply #676 on: January 13, 2011, 09:46:30 PM »

Hi Maxine! Welcome aboard. You will find mostly Beatles fans in here so I guess this is the place to be. lol  Never mind your blabbering, talk and post away as much as you like.

Sings: 'Her name was Maxine, she called herself Maggie, but everyone knew her as Mickey.' ;D

AppleScruffy96

• Getting Better
« Reply #677 on: January 13, 2011, 10:06:47 PM »

Haha, thanks a bunch :D It's gonna be fun to blabber on about the lads! Thanks for the song too xD
Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher storm, but to add color to my sunset sky.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #678 on: January 14, 2011, 01:51:11 AM »

It's gonna be fun to blabber on about the lads!

We look forward to that.  Welcome to the Forum, Maxine!
I can stay till it's time to go

AppleScruffy96

• Getting Better
« Reply #679 on: January 14, 2011, 06:35:46 AM »

Thanks a lot  :D
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 44

Page created in 0.451 seconds with 89 queries.