Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 451 452 [453] 454 455 ... 527

Author Topic: Random Thoughts  (Read 638581 times)

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
Re: Random Thoughts
« Reply #9040 on: April 14, 2014, 11:45:42 PM »

Aw, Dave and Kelley, it's nice that you are so kind to your animals. We don't have any pets right now, but I can identify with your devotion (as I'm sure many people can). We've had dogs, turtles, betta fish, and hamsters. I think the worst was right before the kids and I have to move from the house to an apartment because of the divorce. My son's hamster, only 10 months old, got a tumor in his cheek pouch, we think; I feel horrible, and always will, because I was so distracted I didn't notice until it was too late. The incredible veterinarian we took him to painstakingly made up a dozen teeny-tiny doses of antibiotics, and for about a week my ex and I hand-fed him the  medicine and human baby food, because the poor little guy couldn't chew. It was too late, though; he got a little better but was steadily losing weight. We finally had to put him out of his misery. My son cried himself to sleep for weeks. The timing could not have been worse. The vet was so incredible, even sending us a little sympathy card with Sparky's paw-prints on it.

Anyway, it is gratifying to read how kindly you treat your pets.

P.S. "Bumble foot" sounds like something I myself could be diagnosed with  ;)

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9041 on: April 15, 2014, 02:16:27 AM »

Aw, Dave and Kelley, it's nice that you are so kind to your animals. We don't have any pets right now, but I can identify with your devotion (as I'm sure many people can). We've had dogs, turtles, betta fish, and hamsters. I think the worst was right before the kids and I have to move from the house to an apartment because of the divorce. My son's hamster, only 10 months old, got a tumor in his cheek pouch, we think; I feel horrible, and always will, because I was so distracted I didn't notice until it was too late. The incredible veterinarian we took him to painstakingly made up a dozen teeny-tiny doses of antibiotics, and for about a week my ex and I hand-fed him the  medicine and human baby food, because the poor little guy couldn't chew. It was too late, though; he got a little better but was steadily losing weight. We finally had to put him out of his misery. My son cried himself to sleep for weeks. The timing could not have been worse. The vet was so incredible, even sending us a little sympathy card with Sparky's paw-prints on it.

Anyway, it is gratifying to read how kindly you treat your pets.

P.S. "Bumble foot" sounds like something I myself could be diagnosed with  ;)
It's OK! I know how to treat it now!
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

KelMar

« Reply #9042 on: April 15, 2014, 05:18:30 PM »

Aw, Dave and Kelley, it's nice that you are so kind to your animals.

Thanks Kathy. I love my dogs but the thoughts of losing this one and then going through it three more times are overwhelming me right now. I wonder, like I did when we lost 2 close together in 2009, if I ever want to get another puppy. It just seems to get harder each time. Hearing about your son and little Sparky put tears in my eyes. I felt the same way about my first hamster, Critter. She was a little sweetheart. The second one though; not so much. I didn't shed a tear over that little biter! I don't think he was too well socialized at the pet shop. LOL

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9043 on: April 16, 2014, 02:23:42 AM »

My daughter had a pygmy hamster named Mary years ago. She named it after her great Aunt Mary who is currently 4'9" tall and shrinking at 92 years old! All it's hair fell out twice except for one tuft on her forehead. It was funny/sad because it was caused by hamsters being over bred and having cancers, tumors and other afflictions. It lived for two years though but was very tough for Elizabeth when it died. It was tough for me trying to explain why it's hair kept falling out!
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9044 on: April 16, 2014, 01:58:30 PM »

Bumble Foot!
Mark Twain

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #9045 on: April 17, 2014, 01:41:20 PM »

Bumble Foot!

Ow; that looks painful!

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9046 on: April 17, 2014, 02:40:49 PM »

Ow; that looks painful!
I think it is. Birds tend to go quiet when in pain as to not attract predators but they do feel it. it just looks different. Infections in birds a different and difficult as they don't have liquid puss as people and mammals do. You can't open it and squeeze it to empty it like a pimple. It's solid and is called a "kernel" so you have to cut away the lesion and remove a solid infection that resembles a kernel of corn. Then pack it with antibiotics . They do heal quickly though.
We had Popcorns checkup the other day and she's doing well and the lesion is almost closed!
Good web site for chickens is the Chick Chic. She has a video of the procedure she's learned to do herself. Warning though, it's vivid!
Mark Twain

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9047 on: April 17, 2014, 05:29:19 PM »

I've been hearing somebody running around the attic for a bit. yesterday I set a Have A heart trap and went to check it and it had been tripped but empty. We'll, I went and got another spoonful of peanut butter for the trigger and guess who was sitting there looking at me?! A weasel!!!
Stay tuned! This could get interesting!
Mark Twain

KelMar

« Reply #9048 on: April 18, 2014, 05:07:50 PM »

Crafty little bugger! How do you think he got in there?

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #9049 on: April 19, 2014, 12:51:52 AM »

I've been hearing somebody running around the attic for a bit. yesterday I set a Have A heart trap and went to check it and it had been tripped but empty. We'll, I went and got another spoonful of peanut butter for the trigger and guess who was sitting there looking at me?! A weasel!!!
Stay tuned! This could get interesting!

Yikes! Aren't weasels mean, like badgers?

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #9050 on: April 19, 2014, 12:54:19 AM »

All the recent chat about animals and pets reminds me of James Herriot's books. They are so great! (Actually, great is a vast understatement.) At some chapters I laugh out loud; at others, I find myself wiping tears away. I got my first book of his in third grade and have read them all several times. If I could magically bring someone back from the dead to share a meal with, I'd choose Herriot. Dave, Kelley, everyone -- if you haven't read anything by him I'd strongly recommend it.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #9051 on: April 19, 2014, 02:39:27 AM »

I once had a squirrel chew his way though the wood siding into my attic.
I can stay till it's time to go

KelMar

« Reply #9052 on: April 19, 2014, 03:09:14 AM »

I once had a squirrel chew his way though the wood siding into my attic.

Maybe he was looking for his friend the raccoon.  ;)

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9053 on: April 19, 2014, 11:30:45 PM »

All the recent chat about animals and pets reminds me of James Herriot's books. They are so great! (Actually, great is a vast understatement.) At some chapters I laugh out loud; at others, I find myself wiping tears away. I got my first book of his in third grade and have read them all several times. If I could magically bring someone back from the dead to share a meal with, I'd choose Herriot. Dave, Kelley, everyone -- if you haven't read anything by him I'd strongly recommend it.
My wife just finished ATGAS and All Things Bright and Beautiful
Mark Twain

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9054 on: April 19, 2014, 11:40:58 PM »

Yikes! Aren't weasels mean, like badgers?
They're little killers! They're cute though!
I heard the trap close and when I looked in the attic it was empty and the peanut butter was gone so I went downstairs and got another spoonful. When I came back up it was standing next to the trap with one hand resting on a pile of wood looking at me with anticipation. I held out the PB on the spoon to him and he almost came to it but at the last minute turned and bolted. So... I re PB'd the trap and the little bugger tripped it 3 more times and got away with the PB every time. I WILL GET HIM!
That's why they call them weasels!
Mark Twain

KelMar

« Reply #9055 on: April 20, 2014, 05:01:55 AM »

Happy Easter!!

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #9056 on: April 20, 2014, 05:42:24 AM »

I can stay till it's time to go

KelMar

« Reply #9057 on: April 20, 2014, 06:14:57 AM »

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9058 on: April 20, 2014, 11:00:54 PM »

Crafty little bugger! How do you think he got in there?
I think I heard him crawling up the columns by the front door and into the attic.
Mark Twain

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #9059 on: April 23, 2014, 07:23:22 PM »

My wife just finished ATGAS and All Things Bright and Beautiful

Did she like them, Dave?
Pages: 1 ... 451 452 [453] 454 455 ... 527

Page created in 0.682 seconds with 73 queries.