Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Rain is the perfect Beatles song  (Read 8410 times)

Re: Rain is the perfect Beatles song
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2005, 01:38:09 PM »

Rain? I don't mind.

Bruno

• A Thousand Pages
  • The choice is yours, don't be late
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2005, 04:13:09 PM »

It's one of my favorite Beatles song. The video is brilliant

---powered by Moondogs®---

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
  • Getting into the Herbal Jazz
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2005, 05:27:27 PM »

Amen^ 8)
Whats the matter lads? Blue Meanies?

flux

• A Beginning
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2005, 05:46:09 AM »

I always thought We Can Work It Out was the perfect tune. They had so many of them..but I think it really stands out.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2005, 06:19:01 AM »

Will I get slapped if I say "Rain" isnt one of my favorites and I feel its a little overrated? I like it, but I like other Beatle tunes (including "We Can Work It Out" Ed) a lot more. I give the kudos for its creative aspect, but the song itself as a whole just doesnt grab me that much. It was also one of the easier songs to learn on the drums. I suppose Ringo liked it because he created it, but he has done many better.

TurnMeOnDeadman

• A Thousand Pages
  • Creme Tangerine
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2005, 06:22:11 AM »

the bass is awesome on it too ^

mih ssim mih ssim ,won daed si luap

"LSD is a drug made famous by John Lennon and Paul Mccartney"
 &nb

Lostio

• Getting Better
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2005, 10:50:53 AM »

Gotta love the backwards part of it! ;D

One of their most outstanding songs.

Bobber

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2006, 02:33:01 PM »

Just found this 'study' on Rain and Paperback Writer. A long shot, but some interesting points of view.

General Points of Interest
  Style and Form
   For all of its musical and technical innovation, it's a bit ironic to note how standard is the form and harmonic content of this song.
   Though no sitars or other ethnic "world music" instruments are used here, the style of the song very much connotes the style of classical Indian music by virtue of the droning harmony and the, at times florid tune.
  Melody and Harmony
   As far back as "Love Me Do" (amazingly), John and Paul had stumbled onto a novel use of spicy little trills and languorously stretched out melismas that, along with sung open and parallel fifths, is truly one of the more subtle trademarks of their early "sound". Here, what is essentially the identical technique is pushed beyond the routine envelope to create an entirely new and exotically "foreign" effect.
   Aside from ornamentation, the tune is structurally organized in a very "Indian" manner; with the approximate two halves of the melodic octave each isolated to its own respective section of the song; the verse stays carefully within low G up to E, while the refrain deals with the upper end of the octave, from the high G down to middle C.
   The harmonic budget is frugal to the extreme of creating, what I can only assume is, an intentionally static effect. You'd expect the use of I -

SallyG

• A Beginning
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2006, 03:02:21 PM »

1966 must have been the year that Paulie got some hot pickups and/or the Rickenbacker because on most of the earlier stuff, you really have to listen for the bass, but this single was the end of that.

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2006, 04:38:26 PM »

Quote from: 100
1966 must have been the year that Paulie got some hot pickups and/or the Rickenbacker because on most of the earlier stuff, you really have to listen for the bass, but this single was the end of that.

Like your point. :)
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

Bobber

« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2006, 05:49:43 PM »

The Word on Rubber Soul (1965) also has a strong bass. I think Paul became more and more selfconfident on the instrument and began to develop great melodies on the bass.

Taxgirl

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2006, 07:17:09 AM »

Quote from: 373
Will I get slapped if I say "Rain" isnt one of my favorites and I feel its a little overrated? I like it, but I like other Beatle tunes (including "We Can Work It Out" Ed) a lot more. I give the kudos for its creative aspect, but the song itself as a whole just doesnt grab me that much. It was also one of the easier songs to learn on the drums. I suppose Ringo liked it because he created it, but he has done many better.

Of course you wont get, everyone has his own taste! :)
Overrated - by Beatles fans yes, but no wonder! This song (as many other Beates songs) deserves to be overrated!!
Overrated - by media, no. I've never heard it on the radio, it's not a popular one, and it's not the song people usually think of at first when they think of the Beatles.

Me personally love this song a lot!!!! :K)

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2006, 08:56:10 AM »

Quote from: 63
The Word on Rubber Soul (1965) also has a strong bass. I think Paul became more and more selfconfident on the instrument and began to develop great melodies on the bass.

I'm really falling in love with The Word. It certainly is the Tomorrow Never Knows of Rubber Soul. My only regret is that the organ at the end would have sounded even better with a bit of withering guitar over it. But it was only 1965 I suppose.
don't follow leaders

SallyG

• A Beginning
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2006, 02:55:30 PM »

How do you pick a favorite Fab's song?  Mine was always a toss up between 'Rain' and 'And Your Bird Can Sing'. 'Rain' is just brilliant. As someone posted earlier, the Stereo part is great. I used to play it through a Walkman/headphones for my friends in high school in the '80s, and it was great to watch them jump 1/2'' when the background vocals came in ("When the Sunshine Down') 'cos they'd never heard it before. The sped up/slowed down guitars are also ingenious. Love that song mucho. My favorite song, by the way, is "And Your Bird Can Sing".

metaphysical

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2006, 11:51:28 PM »

I always think Rain is the most underrated song ever.
because I never heard it on the radio, until I had to download it.
I just love the bass line, harmony, lyrics..love love love!

apple sauce

• Getting Better
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2006, 10:49:16 PM »

I thought the song fit the times with it's pop sound and vocal layering.

snoozealarm

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2008, 04:16:59 PM »

Quote from: 378
Great Basswork
Great Drumming
Great Riff
Great Vocals
Great Chords

Agree with all of the above. However, you forgot "great melody". Which it doesn't have. Which is why it is only on my second-tier of Beatles songs. No disrespect meant.

Come to think of it, "great chords"? Subdominant-Dominant-Tonic. Hardly great. So, although the song has fantastic "texture", melodically speaking it doesn't do enough for me.
You can talk to me. You can talk to me. You can talk to me. If you're lonely, you can talk to me.

Chris

• A Beginning
    • My songs and stuff
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2008, 06:04:17 PM »

Well, to hear the great melody, you actually have to listen to the vocals during the verses. But I suppose this takes a more attuned ear; all those slowed-down drums can get distracting.  :P

Here's a great Ringo quote:

"My favorite piece of me is what I did on 'Rain.' I think I just played amazing. I was into the snare and high-hat. I think it was the first time I used this trick of starting a break [i.e. fill] by hitting the high-hat first, instead of going directly to a drum ["Wait" was earlier]...I think it's the best out of all the records I've ever made. 'Rain' blows me away. It's out of left field. I know me, and I know my playing -- and then there's 'Rain.'"
Here's my book. It's funny! I promise.<br />Amazon

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2008, 08:58:09 PM »

i think its a nice enough song but the lyrics arn't that special. Ringo's drumming is
pretty cool though & Macca's bass playing isn't half bad either, ha!  :)

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2008, 09:45:11 PM »

i think macca's bassline in it is fantastic and ringo's drum work, but i still think they got it right making paperback writer the a-side ;) better song for me
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Page created in 0.247 seconds with 93 queries.