Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Song Of The Week - Two Of Us  (Read 10754 times)

nimrod

Song Of The Week - Two Of Us
« on: August 30, 2013, 12:18:20 AM »

"I Dig a Pygmy" by Charles Hawtrey and the Deaf-Aids
Phase One in which Doris gets her oats

Two of us riding nowhere
Spending someone's
Hard earned pay
You and me Sunday driving
Not arriving
On our way back home
We're on our way home
We're on our way home
We're going home

Two of us sending postcards
Writing letters
On my wall
You and me burning matches
Lifting latches
On our way back home
We're on our way home
We're on our way home
We're going home

You and I have memories
Longer than the road that stretches out ahead

Two of us wearing raincoats
Standing solo
In the sun
You and me chasing paper
Getting nowhere
On our way back home
We're on our way home
We're on our way home
We're going home

You and I have memories
Longer than the road that stretches out ahead

Two of us wearing raincoats
Standing solo
In the sun
You and me chasing paper
Getting nowhere
On our way back home
We're on our way home
We're on our way home
We're going home

We're going home
Better believe it

The song was originally titled "On Our Way Home". McCartney claimed it was dedicated to his wife-to-be Linda Eastman, though the lyrics (e.g.: "you and I have memories/longer than the road that stretches out ahead" or "you and me chasing paper/getting nowhere") sounded to author Ian MacDonald like they were actually addressing Lennon.
An early performance of the song, in a guitar-driven rock style, can be seen in the Let It Be film. Unsatisfied with this style, which McCartney described as "chunky", the band reworked the song around acoustic guitars. The Beatles performed a finished version of the song live at Apple Studios on 31 January 1969; this performance was included in both the Let It Be film and album.

Personnel

Paul McCartney – lead vocal, lead acoustic guitar – Martin D-28
John Lennon – harmony vocal, whistling, rhythm acoustic guitar – Martin D-28
George Harrison – bassline on electric guitar – Fender Telecaster
Ringo Starr – drums

The Beatles - Two of us

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Song Of The Week - Two Of Us
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 12:38:57 AM »

I've always enjoyed it, assumed it was about John and paul, had a little bit of a "we're tired" tone to it, yet happy to have gone through it.  At least that is what I always imagined.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 03:38:41 AM »

I've always enjoyed it, assumed it was about John and paul, had a little bit of a "we're tired" tone to it, yet happy to have gone through it.  At least that is what I always imagined.

Thats a perfect description and how I feel about the song also. I like it.

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 08:26:42 AM »

One of the many cuts that make LIB one of my faves. Clean and uncluttered, telling a nice story.

:)

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

nimrod

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 08:28:21 AM »

I've always enjoyed it, assumed it was about John and paul,

I suppose its down to who you believe, like Ticket To Ride

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 01:27:23 PM »

I really love this song. It's so relaxing-sounding and, as always, I love the harmonies. I find it very soothing.

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 10:53:09 PM »

Even though not suitable at all as an album opener, it is an incredible song, full of emotion and beautifully delivered by John and Paul in close harmony, for one last time. It is about their relationship, even though egos were too big at the time for any of them to admit it (John's spoken beginning is nothing more than him trying to lighten up what he knows will be a sad and uncomfortable atmosphere).

I could never make up my mind whether this or the title track is my favourite tune off 'Let It Be'. The latter is better musically, but the former speaks more about what the album was really meant to be: nostalgic in concept, conservative in instrumentation and announcing an end that will inevitably come.
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

nimrod

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 11:33:22 PM »

Even though not suitable at all as an album opener, it is an incredible song, full of emotion and beautifully delivered by John and Paul in close harmony, for one last time. It is about their relationship, even though egos were too big at the time for any of them to admit it (John's spoken beginning is nothing more than him trying to lighten up what he knows will be a sad and uncomfortable atmosphere).

I could never make up my mind whether this or the title track is my favourite tune off 'Let It Be'. The latter is better musically, but the former speaks more about what the album was really meant to be: nostalgic in concept, conservative in instrumentation and announcing an end that will inevitably come.

good post Ovi but I disagree with it not being a good opener, I think its perfect :)

nimrod

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 11:35:10 PM »

I really like what George does on the electric guitar on this track, I realy wish he'd done it on Pauls bass though that wouldve sounded better, an incredibly inventive bass line from George.

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2013, 10:53:14 AM »

good post Ovi but I disagree with it not being a good opener, I think its perfect :)

Nah, The Beatles always started their albums with a bang!. Just think about it, 'I Saw Her Standing There', 'A Hard Day's Night', 'Drive My Car', 'Taxman', 'Back In The U.S.S.R' etc. - all rockers. 'Get Back' would've been perfect as an album opener*. 'I've Got A Feeling' would've worked fine as well. To me, placing 'Two Of Us' at the beginning is the hypothetical equivalent of Sgt. Pepper starting with 'She's Leaving Home' or Revolver with 'Eleanor Rigby'.

*And Let It Be...Naked proves that Paul realized this as well.
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2013, 05:39:38 PM »

That's a good point, Ovi; I never thought about the way Beatles albums opened, but your post gave me food for thought. I do like "Two of Us" as an opener for this album, though.

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2013, 11:02:46 PM »

I think it's the perfect song to open the album-a tired song by two tired guys who were tired of the whole thing by then (especially John). 
What, is he dead?  Sit you down, father.  Rest you.

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2013, 12:55:37 PM »

Good discussion. I think everybody has some good points.
I agree that it's about J&P. and they're nostalgia for a better day. "Chasing paper" is defiantly about their business affairs at Apple. "Going nowhere" is self explanatory. I find the nostalgic part (You and I have memories) is balanced by present verses of their situation. They knew it was over .
I wonder if they collaborated on this one?
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

Strawberry Field

• A Beginning
  • Reality leaves a lot to the imagination.
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2013, 05:40:13 PM »

delurk time

One day I predict that McCartney will say, "yeah that song is about John and I". How could it possibly be about Linda, since at the time Paul wrote, his relationship with Linda was not even a year and a half old. "You and I have memories long than the road that stretches out ahead" is absolutely directed at John. They had known each other for 12 years at this point. As such, 'Two Of Us' always gives me a sad smile. Love the tune.

nimrod

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2013, 11:01:13 PM »

delurk time

One day I predict that McCartney will say, "yeah that song is about John and I". How could it possibly be about Linda, since at the time Paul wrote, his relationship with Linda was not even a year and a half old. "You and I have memories long than the road that stretches out ahead"

For me the clue is the original title "On Our Way Home" I 100% believe this song is about Linda, why would he write a song about John with such a title ?
Its well documented that him & Linda used to drive into the countryside a lot (Sunday Driving) I dont think he went Sunday driving with John :D

Him & John were at loggerheads at this stage, lots of backstabbing going on.....why would you write a nice song about someone who you really dont like ?

I believe it is possible to create memories in the time he had known Linda, and anyway sometimes a lyric doesnt make sense, but fits. (The Movement you need is on your shoulder  ?)

Strawberry Field

• A Beginning
  • Reality leaves a lot to the imagination.
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2013, 11:38:16 PM »

Him & John were at loggerheads at this stage, lots of backstabbing going on.....why would you write a nice song about someone who you really dont like ?

Who says Paul didn't like John at the time (1968-1969)? Paul has ALWAYS liked John, no matter the disagreements or separation they have had.

And why can't the lyrics to 'Two of Us' be looking back to a time when John and Paul did go driving around, "burning matches, lifting latches", years before.

Hell for all we know the song is about the (apparent) ending of his close relationship with John and the beginning of his relationship with Linda...at the same time, in the same song.

nimrod

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2013, 02:08:08 AM »

Who says Paul didn't like John at the time (1968-1969)? Paul has ALWAYS liked John, no matter the disagreements or separation they have had.

And why can't the lyrics to 'Two of Us' be looking back to a time when John and Paul did go driving around, "burning matches, lifting latches", years before.

Hell for all we know the song is about the (apparent) ending of his close relationship with John and the beginning of his relationship with Linda...at the same time, in the same song.

Quote (Linda McCartney)

"As a kid I loved getting lost. I would say to my father - let's get lost. But you could never seem to be able to get really lost. All signs would eventually lead back to New York or wherever we were staying! Then, when I moved to England to be with Paul, we would put Martha in the back of the car and drive out of London. As soon as we were on the open road I'd say, 'Let's get lost' and we'd keep driving without looking at any signs. Hence the line in the song, 'Two of us going nowhere'.
Paul wrote Two Of Us on one of those days out. It's about us. We just pulled off in a wood somewhere and parked the car. I went off walking while Paul sat in the car and started writing. He also mentions the postcards because we used to send a lot of postcards to each other."

Linda McCartney
A Hard Day's Write, Steve Turner

KelMar

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2013, 03:07:55 AM »

Quote (Linda McCartney)

Paul wrote Two Of Us on one of those days out. It's about us. We just pulled off in a wood somewhere and parked the car. I went off walking while Paul sat in the car and started writing. He also mentions the postcards because we used to send a lot of postcards to each other."

Linda McCartney
A Hard Day's Write, Steve Turner

Interesting Kevin. I always kind of dismissed the notion that this song could be about any pair other than Paul and John. I will buy that Paul and Linda's experiences were the inspiration but I still think his waning relationship with John figured in. Maybe this has nothing to do with it but it seems like John's essential harmonies are in the song for a reason.  :)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2013, 03:34:32 AM »

This early version of the song appeared in the Let It Be film...

The Beatles - Two Of us (video - Let it Be)

Maybe it sounded like that because Yoko was standing there.   ;D
I can stay till it's time to go

KelMar

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2013, 03:45:02 AM »

This early version of the song appeared in the Let It Be film...
Maybe it sounded like that because Yoko was standing there.   ;D

Perhaps she bet them that they couldn't make her laugh. I think she won.  ;)
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.816 seconds with 89 queries.