Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Songs you love from artists you're not fan of  (Read 17359 times)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Re: Songs you love from artists you're not fan of
« Reply #140 on: July 28, 2015, 10:27:18 AM »

Thanks for the recommendations for Sloan and Rose Windows George.  I'll definitely be checking them out today.  A guy on another forum offered up a few other bands to check out.

Maple Mars
The Len Price 3
Rain Parade
Green Pajamas

So there's a few more to check out.   ha2ha
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #141 on: July 29, 2015, 03:59:45 PM »

The Yardbirds don't knock me out though.  I love about 4 or 5 of their tunes and consider the rest filler to decent type tunes that I can tolerate.  I bought 'Roger The Engineer' on peoples recommendations and it never hit me like it did some.  I like it, but its nothing great.

The biggest problem of the Yardbirds is that they never developed as good songwriters. During their first years (1964-65), they recorded songs by other artists or written by outside songwriters like Graham Gouldman, with few exceptions like "Still I'm Sad". The material was not great but good enough, and the amazing instrumental talent of the band plus their experimental vocation converted them into one of the most influential bands of the mid-60's. Their biggest hits ("For Your Love"; "Heart Full Of Soul"; "Shapes Of Things") stand as truly high points of the decade.

After that time of glory, they started to write their own material from their first proper album, Roger The Engineer (1966). That album is acknowledged as one of the first strong steps of psychedelia, but the songwriting was very weak and the great performances couldn't save it, in my opinion. A similar problem occurred in their next and last album, Little Games (1967).

I love the Yardbirds and still consider them an essential band of the 60's. But I think that a compilation focussed on their mid-60's work is enough to taste their magic.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 04:04:10 PM by Hombre_de_ningun_lugar »
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #142 on: August 09, 2015, 12:33:45 AM »

I recall in the mid Noughties when I was reacquainting myself with modern pop music hearing this one on Pandora and thinking these guys were good.

http://youtu.be/nIjVuRTm-dc

Unfortunately nothing else I heard from them matched up to this and they're now consigned very much into the Artists to Avoid box in my cranium.

Jimothy17

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #143 on: August 11, 2015, 01:21:00 AM »

I recall in the mid Noughties when I was reacquainting myself with modern pop music hearing this one on Pandora and thinking these guys were good.

http://youtu.be/nIjVuRTm-dc

Unfortunately nothing else I heard from them matched up to this and they're now consigned very much into the Artists to Avoid box in my cranium.

Yeah, that and This Love are their only good songs.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Page created in 1.181 seconds with 41 queries.