Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Doctor Robert - Longer Version  (Read 10283 times)

Bobber

Re: Doctor Robert - Longer Version
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2011, 10:37:13 AM »

I also wonder why they decided to fade this song on the record when it seems to come to a proper stop if you listen to the Y&T version.

We had a discussion on that topic some time ago: http://www.dmbeatles.com/forums/index.php?topic=4418.0

peterbell1

• Getting Better
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2011, 11:11:27 AM »

We had a discussion on that topic some time ago: http://www.dmbeatles.com/forums/index.php?topic=4418.0

Thanks.

I wonder if it was because of John's "OK Herb" (or whatever it is) comment that they decided to do the fade.
If it really is John saying "OK - time for a joint" then you can see why they wouldn't want it on the record, and the comment comes very close to the end of the instruments so it was maybe too close for it to just be chopped off the end.

I need to have a proper listen to the track and listen for the edits where the 43 seconds was removed.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2011, 02:53:34 PM »

Someone in the studio was named Herb.

I thought of that, but who at EMI was called "Herb" or "Herbert"?

I don't think the slang term "herb" was in common usage in 1966.  This is from Slang-Dictionary.com:

herb

Definition
noun

1. marihuana, herbal cannabis. This is probably the most common name for the drug in Caribbean use (usually pronounced ’erb). The word has been given special prominence since the early 1970s by reference to it (in popular songs and elsewhere) by Jamaican Rastafarians, for whom it is sacramental. White British cannabis smokers adopted the term as an alternative to the more commonplace grass, bush, etc. in the mid-1970s.

2. British  a street urchin. A rare shortening of Herbert, typically pronounced ’erb.

3. American  a dupe. This term, heard in the 1990s in street argot, is probably taken from the proper name supposedly denoting a quintessential ‘sucker’. (H)erbert is the British equivalent.
I can stay till it's time to go

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2011, 05:12:09 PM »

I would guess that it was a nickname for someone. John would do that.
And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney

nyfan(41)

• Getting Better
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2011, 02:39:24 PM »

3. American  a dupe. This term, heard in the 1990s in street argot, is probably taken from the proper name supposedly denoting a quintessential ‘sucker’. (H)erbert is the British equivalent.

i know that's not your quote HG - but i'm pretty sure kids in new york started to say that because of the burger king commercials
they had these ads called 'where's herb' and you used to get a discount if you went in to burger king and said 'im not herb'
1986 Burger King "I'm Not Herb" commercial

1985 Burger King Herb ad

Burger King - Herb Is Coming! (1986)

i think they were trying to copy the success of the 'where's the beef' wendy's commercials . . but they weren't good ads
pretty soon 'herb' became the new slang for 'sucker' . . . but the slang meaning of a 'herb' is slightly different....like a nerd who cant dress who gets robbed and doesn't know the latest trends . . .kinda
-
-
as far as the song, i think in the 60s people said 'grass' and 'dope'.
gary910's explanation sounds likely 
-
-
thanks HG - i forgot all about those commercials till i read your post !  ha2ha

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2011, 11:28:39 PM »

Pot, weed, Mary Jane, smoke and reefer were other 60s terms nyfan.
I can stay till it's time to go

danielcelano

• A Beginning
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2011, 03:30:22 PM »

I think it's because the 43 seconds were removed and replaced by a fade-out. However, a longer fade-out is heard on the Y&T version since we thought the length is 2:56, but apparently it's 2:16. Right, Peter?

I've also read that 43 seconds was edited out of the middle of Dr Robert somewhere.
The original recording was 2:56 but was edited down to 2:13.
Anyone know where in the song the edit was made, what was edited out, and why it was removed?

I also wonder why they decided to fade this song on the record when it seems to come to a proper stop if you listen to the Y&T version.

danielcelano

• A Beginning
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2011, 12:03:24 PM »

Since the 43 seconds of Doctor Robert that used to be 2:56 were removed from all versions and replaced by a fade-out, I think the edit is somewhere in this song.
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.483 seconds with 55 queries.