Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Beatles under a microscope - Pastmasters 2  (Read 20008 times)

stevie

• Getting Better
Re: Beatles under a microscope - Pastmasters 2
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2011, 09:04:21 PM »

Yeah i used to sort of ignore this album - or just play PW - but i took it in the car one day and rocked it right through!

I've only recently 'rediscovered' how damn good DT is!!  Used to skip it all the time (I guess every Beatle song is skippable after hearing them a million times..)  PW and Rain have always been in my fave lists.  Driving in a car with PW at full volume is awesome.

Its funny the hate for The Inner Light by a few people. I've always thought it was one of George's better Indian songs. I rate it above WYWO and LYT. Ok, the Indian music at the start is way too loud but the melody - which Paul always admired - has that dreamy feel. And his voice sounds pretty cool too.

And I loathe the organy solo on LIB! Is the proper guitar one on the LIB album? I'll have to check.

nimrod

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2011, 09:51:35 PM »

Yeah i used to sort of ignore this album - or just play PW - but i took it in the car one day and rocked it right through!

I've only recently 'rediscovered' how damn good DT is!!  Used to skip it all the time (I guess every Beatle song is skippable after hearing them a million times..)  PW and Rain have always been in my fave lists.  Driving in a car with PW at full volume is awesome.

Its funny the hate for The Inner Light by a few people. I've always thought it was one of George's better Indian songs. I rate it above WYWO and LYT. Ok, the Indian music at the start is way too loud but the melody - which Paul always admired - has that dreamy feel. And his voice sounds pretty cool too.

And I loathe the organy solo on LIB! Is the proper guitar one on the LIB album? I'll have to check.

yes its on the original LIB album by Spector, Paul put the (guitar through a leslie speaker) solo on the LIB Naked version, he took off the orchestrations also.

I agree about The Inner Light, one od Georges better ones, great lyrics, like Within You.

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2011, 01:20:56 AM »

Paperback Writer - have always loved the bass at 2:09, simply amazing

KelMar

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2011, 02:19:31 AM »

They're singing Frère Jacques...
 ;D

I just noticed this a few weeks ago. There seems to be no end to new discoveries with this band.  :)

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2011, 02:34:42 AM »

I really like George's Indian songs, but I don't agree that "The Inner Light" is his best one. In my opinion the order is:

1) "Within You Without You"
2) "Love You To"
3) "The Inner Light"
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 02:36:32 AM by Hombre_de_ningun_lugar »
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

nimrod

« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2011, 12:48:40 AM »

I prefer The inner light to WYAWY, mainly because its a better brighter melody and not so much of a drone type song, George had a habit of writing songs that could literally send me to sleep (well since I hit 40 !)  ha2ha

KelMar

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2011, 04:07:27 AM »

I prefer The inner light to WYAWY, mainly because its a better brighter melody and not so much of a drone type song, George had a habit of writing songs that could literally send me to sleep (well since I hit 40 !)  ha2ha

I agree. I absolutely hated WYAWY when I first started listening to Sgt. Pepper. I don't mind it now because I like the message. The Inner Light I liked right away, and even more so after watching the Concert for George. The Indian music is growing on me.  :)

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2011, 04:18:16 AM »

"Within You Without You" has one of the best lyrics ever in my opinion, and I love how the sitar sounds, very prominent. I think the message is pretty Christian: "the love that's gone so cold" and "the people who gain the world and lose their soul" are exact words from Jesus Christ.

"And because lawlessness will abound, the love of many will grow cold." (Matthew 24:12)

"For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul?" (Matthew 16:26)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 04:29:42 AM by Hombre_de_ningun_lugar »

nimrod

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2011, 10:42:25 AM »

I agree about the lyrics hombre..........superb.

Its just the music is too slow and monotonal and I think it meanders a bit too long, its part of pepper that I skip along with she's leaving home.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2011, 02:35:30 PM »

I agree about the lyrics hombre..........superb.

Its just the music is too slow and monotonal and I think it meanders a bit too long, its part of pepper that I skip along with she's leaving home.

Yeah, the melody is not one of the best, but I really love the instrumental middle section, with all those Indian instruments, it's one of my favourite parts from Sgt. Pepper's.

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2011, 06:01:48 PM »

Hombre - knowing how you also appreciate "Tomorrow Never Knows" I'd be interested to get your take on its combination with "Within You Without You" on the "Love" album? For me it elevates both tracks and I think they complement one another brilliantly.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2011, 06:40:17 PM »

Hombre - knowing how you also appreciate "Tomorrow Never Knows" I'd be interested to get your take on its combination with "Within You Without You" on the "Love" album? For me it elevates both tracks and I think they complement one another brilliantly.

I don't own the Love album, so I cannot tell too much about it. But I've heard the combination of those two songs once and I thought it was an interesting mix. Must listen to that track again, though I'm not a fan of such things.

nimrod

« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2011, 02:39:15 AM »

Oh YEAH!! mr mustard I agree...

hombre you must hear the Love album (we need a microscope on it mr mustard )  ;D

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2011, 02:44:23 AM »

Oh YEAH!! mr mustard I agree...

hombre you must hear the Love album (we need a microscope on it mr mustard )  ;D

I did hear it once, but as I said, I'm not a fan of such experiments.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2011, 01:25:32 AM »

I really probably should buy LOVE again, but when I initially bought it, I listened to it twice and lost it soon after when I had too much to drink. I just havent felt the need to replace it.

Bobber

« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2011, 07:55:08 AM »

I really probably should buy LOVE again, but when I initially bought it, I listened to it twice and lost it soon after when I had too much to drink. I just havent felt the need to replace it.

I listened to it only once and it has been gathering dust since.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2011, 09:40:11 AM »

I listened to it only once and it has been gathering dust since.

Yeah, thats about what it amounts to with me also.

nimrod

« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2011, 10:46:42 AM »

afraid4

Looks like Im the only one on here who loves the Love album..

I play it a lot in the car and think its fantastic

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2011, 12:06:17 PM »

I like it, at first I thought it was blasphemy what they did to some of the songs, combining them etc. but after seeing the show I don't mind at all.   

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2011, 12:15:17 PM »

afraid4

Looks like Im the only one on here who loves the Love album..

I play it a lot in the car and think its fantastic

You're certainly not alone Kevin - I have the vinyl, the two disc CD/DVD and the basic single CD copies and the basic version is in my car with me most of the time. Purists probably view it with disdain... had it been handled by anyone instead of uncle George Martin & Son I suspect many fans wouldn't touch it with a bargepole, even though it got the thumbs up from Paul, Ringo, Yoko and Olivia.

I adore it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 0.719 seconds with 80 queries.