Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: U2 is one of the most overrated rock bands.  (Read 14096 times)

Wayne L.

U2 is one of the most overrated rock bands.
« on: January 23, 2005, 02:55:59 PM »

I think U2 is one of the most overrated rock groups in the history of rock & roll while the only reason they stood out during the 80's is because they weren't Motley Crue at the time which isn't saying a lot along with the fact that they're music is so called deep by comparison.  U2 does belong in the RNHOF because they're a great rock band but they're not as legendary or as influential as the Beatles, the Stones & the Who at all while frontman Bono is the most holier than thou & hypocritical rock star on the planet since he thinks he can save the world with other people's money instead of his own which is pathetic.  

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
  • Getting into the Herbal Jazz
Re: U2 is one of the most overrated rock bands.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2005, 03:38:01 PM »

I agree, to the extent that I think U2 are overrated.
Its bland, middle of the road nonsense, which doesn't grab your ears, so to speak.
Plus Bono really annoys me :)
The Edge..whats all that about
Whats the matter lads? Blue Meanies?

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2005, 05:43:18 PM »

I actually like U2, but I agree that they dont belong on such a high pedistal.

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2005, 05:56:17 PM »

wayne you have a hit son........i agree.bono should never have been allow to play with the legends of rockabilly at all.
cheers wayne-o.

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2005, 06:03:11 PM »

this fecking group went over board on exposure.i thought bono was poor but he hobnobbs with the biggies.i think of them as the irish version of rem with all due respects to mike stipe....

Rowdy

• Getting Better
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2005, 06:05:07 PM »

They're one of my favorite bands, but I do feel that they shouldn't be listed up there with the great legends yet.........wait twenty years, then we can look back and judge their influence.

"Only people know just how to talk to people. Only people know just how to change the world."

Wayne L.

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2005, 09:13:35 PM »

Quote from: pc31
this fecking group went over board on exposure.i thought bono was poor but he hobnobbs with the biggies.i think of them as the irish version of rem with all due respects to mike stipe....

I agree.  I'm just as sick of REM & the holier than thou Michael Stipe as well.

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2005, 09:23:22 PM »

i like r.e.m! and...im seeing them in concert net year! yay!

dont like u2 though

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
    • Phoebe Claire Publishing, LLC
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2005, 09:56:47 PM »

Wayne L.

I have to agree with you.  U2's output is not near as substantive as say, Pink Floyd, or the classic Stones.  

Bono's voice (and persona) started overwhelming the band about the time of Joshua Tree.  I still like the first two albums best.  

But they do have a helluva rhythm section.  One of the best around today.  

I don't get down on Bono for trying to save the world.  But the best story I heard about U2 was how they were investing their money in a bowling alley in some place in Germany only to find out that bowling wasn't allowed in that town.  

But it's hard to play preacher-man without getting too sanctimonious.  Funny how Jesus managed to do it, but how so many that speak in his name are unable to . . . .

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2005, 10:04:27 PM »

I don't know. U2 have been around for 3 decades and are still putting out good music. I can't say that many other bands have acomplished that. Bono's preaching is no different then Lennon's. He feels passionatly about certain things and he talks about them. Better than making sex tapes or o.ding in a hotel bathroom. I don't see them as overrated. They're not really talked about for influencing anything or being pioneers or what have you. People just acknowledge they're ability to create good music consistently and that they came from being a little alternative band to a huge megaband.

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2005, 11:56:33 PM »

You know, I was thinking about the Lennon and Bono connection as I wrote the post.  The similarities and differences as "preachers."  I don't know why I or other people tend to find Bono irritating in his preaching role.  I guess with Lennon you'd have a "Jealous Guy" type of song for every "Imagine."  I've never heard the "Jealous Guy" side of Bono.  He's always in hero-worship save-the-world big-message mode.  And I think he likes the sound of his own voice just a big too much.  

And what's wrong with making sex-tapes?

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2005, 01:00:12 AM »

Ha! Oh, nothing. We really missed out not getting a Paul and Linda sex tape. Better yet, John and Yoko. Yeah, that would have brought their legacy to a whole different level. ;D

I don't know what you mean about the Jealous Guy thing? Do you mean self depricating? I'm not sure. I mean Bono writes about many thing not just saving the world stuff. One, being my favorite. Don't know what he's talking about there.

Beatle Ed

• Getting Better
  • //0-0\\//- -\\
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2005, 01:19:54 AM »

I actually agree with  Wayne. Yikes. Yeah I think U2 had a good run in the past, but their new stuff is pretty much pretentious BS. It all sounds the same. I think they would have been better off stopping with Joshua Tree.

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2005, 01:36:20 AM »

I think "Jealous Guy" shows Lennon admitting that he's not perfect.  I really like the version of "Imagine" that Neil Young does in which he changes the line "Imagine no possessions/I wonder if I can".    That seems pretty honest.  

Bruno

• A Thousand Pages
  • The choice is yours, don't be late
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2005, 01:46:07 AM »

I don't like U2