Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: The Bed In - John & Yoko  (Read 6099 times)

nimrod

The Bed In - John & Yoko
« on: December 07, 2011, 12:07:48 AM »

Did you see it as an embarrassing thing or something positive ?

I think tkitna mentioned it wasnt something to be proud off but I disagree, I thought it was fantastic and a positive action to bring publicity to the word Peace, I really think John thought he could bring pressure to bear on politicians and could maybe influenec theyre decisions.

A lot of people thought he had gone bonkers but what the hell did other ultra famous people do like Elvis and Bob Dylan ? well basically they just sat on theyre arses
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

KelMar

Re: The Bed In - John & Yoko
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 06:20:01 AM »

Did you see it as an embarrassing thing or something positive ?

I certainly don't think John should have been embarrased by it. Like him, it was a unique event that isn't likely to be forgotten. I've always found the footage taken during the bed-in to be quite fascinating really; especially seeing the variety of people who came to call in the hotel room. Love it or hate it, it certainly made people think. And John's sparring with Al Kapp was a perfect demonstration of the generation gap. So at the very least it's an important sociological artifact.  :)

John Lennon blows his top at Al Capp (Montreal, 1969)

moonchild

• One And One Is Two
  • But I'm not the only one...
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 03:02:36 AM »

I don't find the Bed-In to have been embarrassing. I like what it represented and what John and Yoko were trying to do with it.

It was a honest and feeling idea, and I always appreciate anything anyone tries to do with honesty and truth of emotion.

World peace is near to impossible to achieve sadly. Peace even on a local or a personal level can be difficult, but the dream is always there and that they were both willing enough to put their dream into action like that, to me is just a really beautiful statement to their passion with themselves and with the world.
~Moonchild.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 10:50:05 PM »

I think that didn't help to bring peace in the world, but it was better than saying nothing about it.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 02:58:13 AM »

It was stupid. All it seemed to accomplish was for people to look at John like he was nuts and to add even more stereotype fuel for hippies in general. The whole purpose for Bagism was to lesson the stereotypical views of the times and it in turn caused in increase of those views from the majority of the public. What an epic fail.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 03:07:30 AM »

I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 03:27:21 AM »

It was stupid. All it seemed to accomplish was for people to look at John like he was nuts and to add even more stereotype fuel for hippies in general. The whole purpose for Bagism was to lesson the stereotypical views of the times and it in turn caused in increase of those views from the majority of the public. What an epic fail.

At the time, I was marching and protesting in the streets in Washington DC, New Haven, Fort Dix, and New York City.  I was arrested in Dupont Circle.  I got tear-gassed and pepper-sprayed a few times and some of us were roughed up by the police and the National Guard while John and Yoko languished in bed.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 05:22:12 AM »

At the time, I was marching and protesting in the streets in Washington DC, New Haven, Fort Dix, and New York City.  I was arrested in Dupont Circle.  I got tear-gassed and pepper-sprayed a few times and some of us were roughed up by the police and the National Guard while John and Yoko languished in bed.

So John and Yoko's Bed-In helped you out a bunch?

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 05:31:59 AM »

A lot of people thought he had gone bonkers but what the hell did other ultra famous people do like Elvis and Bob Dylan ? well basically they just sat on theyre arses

Were they obligated to do anything else? They made as much difference sitting on their asses as John did by laying in bed.

Look, I know the intentions were good and I applaud him for that, but I just think the whole thing was silly and he ended up hurting his cause more than helping it. just my opinion.

Bobber

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 11:30:32 AM »

Over here in Amsterdam there is still some pride that the first bed-in was held here. I don't know about its meaning. I guess one should have been there in 1969 to feel that it really mattered or not.

Strawberry Field

• A Beginning
  • Reality leaves a lot to the imagination.
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 04:34:15 PM »

It garnered attention, which was the point, really. The Bed-In gave us what would become the peace movement's anthem, 'Give Peace A Chance'. It even gave Paul McCartney extra royalty.  :)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 02:02:33 AM »

I guess one should have been there in 1969 to feel that it really mattered or not.

It was a tumultuous time, Cor.

7 of 13

• Getting Better
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 02:13:27 AM »

it was a very good thing, obviously. any cause or action that is directed towards world peace cannot be a bad thing, how people miss this simple point i do not understand.
 ;yes
day tripper yeah

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 02:33:08 AM »

The Bed-In gave us what would become the peace movement's anthem, 'Give Peace A Chance'.

Give Peace A Chance was one of the latter anthems.  Songs like Where Have All The Flowers Gone?, Turn! Turn! Turn!, If I Had A Hammer, This Land Is Your Land, Get Together, Blowin' In The Wind, Draft Dodger Rag and I Ain't Marching Anymore preceded it.

Phil Ochs - I Ain't Marching Anymore

Phil Ochs   1965

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2012, 11:13:46 PM »

consider live peace in toronto and the music fest one within this same era it  was a movement...You Make Me Dizzy Miss Lizzy - John Lennon - Toronto 1969 (The video's owner prevents external embedding) werent there 3 shows in canada?montreal,vancover and toronto.....Give Peace a Chance John Lennon MontrĂ©al 01 06 1969 (The video's owner prevents external embedding)

Page created in 0.571 seconds with 77 queries.