Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Got My Mind Set On You  (Read 21991 times)

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
Re: Got My Mind Set On You
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2009, 08:30:09 AM »

Thanks for the James Ray education. Class act. :)
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2009, 03:33:11 PM »

James Ray has a new fan!
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2009, 03:45:25 PM »

I used to like this song a lot but it gets old for me after awhile.

Unknown Delight

• A Beginning
  • George Says - "PLay More Uke!"
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2009, 06:24:36 PM »

Same here..but now that i have exposed myself to the sprawling diversity of George's OTHER efforts, when i come back to this song i find i don't really want to hear it!

It is VERY repetitive..but still a fun song.  The music video for it makes it even more enjoyable..and it is what i remember immediately upon hearing it.  It also has a shred of meaning in another way - This was the song that 'introduced' me to George.

My how much i have learned from him since then....
Now see George Harrison's music come to life in a most extraordinary way....

http://www.youtube.com/user/pizzatimeplayer

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2009, 02:32:17 AM »

Thanks for the James Ray education. Class act. :)

You're welcome, Cor.  Yes, he was.

James Ray has a new fan!

Unfortunately, James Ray's great talent shone all too briefly.  He passed away in 1964.  His is an interesting story having been discovered in 1961, homeless and living on a Washington DC rooftop.  Rudy Clark wrote many of the songs which appeared on his only album James Ray.

Rudy Clark wrote Good Lovin' for The Olympics in 1965....

Olympics - Good Lovin'

....which (you guessed it) was covered by The Young Rascals in 1966:

GOOD LOVIN'_The Young Rascals
I can stay till it's time to go

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2009, 02:52:36 AM »

And here i always thought that was an original!

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2009, 05:15:21 AM »

Here's the studio version:

Good Lovin' (Clark and Resnick)

The Olympics ----- Good Lovin'

The Olympics

Bobber

« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2009, 08:45:27 AM »

You're welcome, Cor.  Yes, he was.

Thank you too, Rick. ;D

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2009, 03:26:26 AM »

ooops!  Sorry, Rick and Cor.  That was because of being on call the other night and not getting any sleep.

Barry

Bobber

« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2009, 09:01:19 AM »

ooops!  Sorry, Rick and Cor.  That was because of being on call the other night and not getting any sleep.

Barry

I don't mind being Rick. ;D

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2009, 12:50:35 AM »

Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you got till it's gone.....

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2009, 03:33:14 AM »

I hate WMG! They are ruining Youtube!

I was watching an episode of an old TV show that has never been released on DVD, and when I came to the end, the audi was gone because of a song that WMG had objected to. Grrr...

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2009, 07:31:52 AM »

I love George...and I am not George bashing...but if you have seen the video for "Got My Mind Set On You" you know that this is the funniest video ever in the worst and saddest possible way. First of all, is this really the BEST they could come up with? You know this wasn't George's idea...."Let's sit in a room and have literally every inch of the room bob up and down, SORT of in tune with the music. Oh yeah...and a squirrel playing the saxophone. A squirrel doesn't belong in a study? Really? Oh well. Let's do it anyway."

I think musicians from George's generation never really took music videos all that seriously. They'd done just fine without them for decades and all of a sudden they had to do all kinds of crazy stuff in front of a camera just to sell a single? When you think of all those rock legends from the 60s and 70s, how many of them ever made a memorable music video? I can't really think of any right now...

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2009, 01:44:45 AM »

And here i always thought that was an original!

But you've gotta admit, that was a great lead vocal and organ by Felix Cavaliere.   I like that live version.

By the way, Dino Danelli looks a bit like Paul.....

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2009, 02:04:05 AM »

I think musicians from George's generation never really took music videos all that seriously. They'd done just fine without them for decades and all of a sudden they had to do all kinds of crazy stuff in front of a camera just to sell a single? When you think of all those rock legends from the 60s and 70s, how many of them ever made a memorable music video? I can't really think of any right now...
Joost, we didn't have VH1 or MTV in those days.  The Beatles did videos for Ed Sullivan and that was about it.  As George said in Anthology, "I guess we invented music videos."

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2009, 08:18:16 AM »

Joost, we didn't have VH1 or MTV in those days.  The Beatles did videos for Ed Sullivan and that was about it.  As George said in Anthology, "I guess we invented music videos."

Sorry, but I think that's a bit of a Beatle myth. I know it's lazy to quote direct, but it's easier:
(I really have come to believe that most of these "firsts" are really just The Beatles being part of a general momentum, but that their fame gives their output a much higher profile.)

In the late 1950s[6] the Scopitone, a visual jukebox, was invented in France and short films were produced by many French artists, such as Serge Gainsbourg, Françoise Hardy and Jacques Dutronc to accompany their songs. Its use spread to other countries and similar machines such as the Cinebox in Italy and Color-Sonic in the USA were patented.[6] In 1961 Ozzie Nelson directed and edited the video of "Travelin' Man" by his son Ricky Nelson. It featured images of various parts of the world mentioned in the Jerry Fuller song along with Nelson's vocals.

In Canada, for Singalong Jubilee, Manny Pittson began pre-recording the music audio, went on location and taped various visuals with the musicians lip-syncing, then edited the audio and video together later. Most music numbers were taped in studio on stage, and the location shoot "videos" were to add variety. [7]

One of the earliest performance clips in 1960s pop was the promo film made by The Animals for their breakthrough 1964 hit "House Of The Rising Sun". This high-quality colour clip was filmed in a studio on a specially-built set; it features the group in a lip-synched performance, depicted through an edited sequence of tracking shots, closeups and longshots, as singer Eric Burdon, guitarist Hilton Valentine and bassist Chas Chandler walked around the set in a series of choreographed moves.
 ....The Byrds began using the same strategy to promote their singles in the United Kingdom, starting with the 1965 single "Set You Free This Time".
The Rolling Stones appeared in many promotionall clips for their songs in the 1960s. One of the earliest, dating from 1964, showed the band on a beach, miming to their single "Not Fade Away", but this has apparently since been lost

« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 08:46:36 AM by Kevin »
don't follow leaders

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2009, 01:08:20 PM »

Joost, we didn't have VH1 or MTV in those days.  The Beatles did videos for Ed Sullivan and that was about it.

I know. Like I said, people like George had been selling millions of singles for decades by just releasing them, and all of a sudden they had to start making videos just to get some airplay. I can imagine that they were a bit reluctant to taking the whole music videos thing very seriously.

It's the same thing with things like MySpace and download-only releases. Most of the new bands seem to embrace it, but many of the established bands don't seem to be too comfortable with it because they a business that's been very successful for them changing.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 01:11:29 PM by Joost »

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2009, 04:18:41 AM »

Sorry, but I think that's a bit of a Beatle myth. I know it's lazy to quote direct, but it's easier:
Kevin, I just enjoy George's "we invented" sayings throughout Anthology.  I don't take them all seriously.  And I have a feeling neither did George.

But I do make a distinction between promos and music videos.  Promos show the band performing whereas music videos tell a story.  The story may or may not be related to the lyrics.  In this case, A Hard Day's Night can be considered a motion picture containing several music videos.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2009, 02:22:47 PM »

But I do make a distinction between promos and music videos.  Promos show the band performing whereas music videos tell a story.  The story may or may not be related to the lyrics.  In this case, A Hard Day's Night can be considered a motion picture containing several music videos.

I think there's a big difference between promo videos like the Beatles used to make 'em and music videos nowadays. Those promos were just extras for the fans, while it's practically impossible nowadays to even have a hit single without a good video to back it.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2009, 11:55:29 PM »

Joost, we used to eagerly await The Beatles' promos which appeared on The Ed Sullivan Show.  Usually by the time they appeared, the songs were already hits here.  I'm thankful for those promos and for the special relationship The Beatles had with Ed Sullivan.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Page created in 2.334 seconds with 88 queries.