Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: The Beatles Stereo Vinyl Box Set  (Read 30814 times)

Sir John Johns

• A Beginning
Re: The Beatles Stereo Vinyl Box Set
« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2012, 02:38:23 AM »

Quote from: Hello Goodbye link=topic=14112.msg298091#msg298091 dat
I had to buy a Behringer U-CONTROL UCA202 for USB capability.  I paid about $100 more than you for my AT-LP120 in 2005 and that's why I said it was a great deal.

I'll have to for something like that, I still have a number of pieces of wax that have yet.to be issued on CD

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #61 on: November 16, 2012, 05:41:56 AM »

I'll have to for something like that, I still have a number of pieces of wax that have yet.to be issued on CD

That little unit works very well.  And you can monitor what's going into the computer through your speakers.
I can stay till it's time to go

KelMar

« Reply #62 on: November 16, 2012, 05:54:23 AM »

Targeted advertising has gotten really creepy. I was on a food related website earlier tonight and Amazon had this huge ad on the side that showed one turntable after another. I have not even looked at them at their site, just read these posts here. Has it really gotten that weird on the Internet?

Sir John Johns

• A Beginning
« Reply #63 on: November 16, 2012, 03:44:56 PM »

I would clear out all the cache/history and cookies from your browsers history.

Also, depending on which browser you are using, you should be able to set it up so that it will delete all cookies and history everytime you close it out. You should also have a setting that refuses all third party cookies.

You will find that the browser will not remember all your logins and password, but in this day and age an extra bit of security is always a good thing.

Targeted advertising has gotten really creepy. I was on a food related website earlier tonight and Amazon had this huge ad on the side that showed one turntable after another. I have not even looked at them at their site, just read these posts here. Has it really gotten that weird on the Internet?

KelMar

« Reply #64 on: November 16, 2012, 05:45:41 PM »

^^^

Thanks for the reminder. I haven't done that in a while.

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #65 on: November 17, 2012, 05:27:47 AM »

These sound great.  Some reviewers complained about distortion on Sgt. Pepper's.  I didn't hear any.  So far the pressings are clean with no pops or scratches.  I hooked the turntable up to my home theater-Yamaha RX-V371 A/V receiver, some old Kenwood mini surround speakers and a Yamaha sub woofer. I played back on straight 2-channel stereo.  And you know what?  They sounded like crap!.  Just like when I play CDs on this system.

So I hooked up the turntable to the PC and and I'm now listening to Abbey Road through Realtek HD Audio and my little PC speakers and sub-woofer. And you know what?  It sounds great!  I have the format set to 2-channel 16-bit 192000 Hz (Studio Quality).  Music has always sounded better on my PC.  The home theater is great for DTS and Dolby True HD audio while watching Blu-Rays, but CDs and (now) vinyl-not so much.

Cant wait to get the house and set up a room with a tube amp and big floor-standing speakers.

I'm still using the cartridge that came with the turntable.  Maybe this weekend I'll connect the Shure cartridge to see if it sounds better.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 05:32:14 AM by ibanez_ax »
What, is he dead?  Sit you down, father.  Rest you.

Sir John Johns

• A Beginning
« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2012, 02:20:18 AM »

Now I'm not so sure about digitizing the vinyl. I'm kind of enjoying the whole analog experience, again.

Gotta find the anthologies on vinyl.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: November 18, 2012, 06:02:36 AM »

Now I'm not so sure about digitizing the vinyl. I'm kind of enjoying the whole analog experience, again.

Gotta find the anthologies on vinyl.

Your CDs will sound a lot like the vinyl they came from.  They'll have analog sound in a digital format.  It's hard to describe, but the CD that you make will sound different than the factory produced CD.

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #68 on: November 21, 2012, 04:24:18 AM »

These sound great.  Some reviewers complained about distortion on Sgt. Pepper's.  I didn't hear any.  So far the pressings are clean with no pops or scratches.  I hooked the turntable up to my home theater-Yamaha RX-V371 A/V receiver, some old Kenwood mini surround speakers and a Yamaha sub woofer. I played back on straight 2-channel stereo.  And you know what?  They sounded like crap!.  Just like when I play CDs on this system.

So I hooked up the turntable to the PC and and I'm now listening to Abbey Road through Realtek HD Audio and my little PC speakers and sub-woofer. And you know what?  It sounds great!  I have the format set to 2-channel 16-bit 192000 Hz (Studio Quality).  Music has always sounded better on my PC.  The home theater is great for DTS and Dolby True HD audio while watching Blu-Rays, but CDs and (now) vinyl-not so much.

Cant wait to get the house and set up a room with a tube amp and big floor-standing speakers.

I'm still using the cartridge that came with the turntable.  Maybe this weekend I'll connect the Shure cartridge to see if it sounds better.

To be honest, when I originally listened to these, I wasn't paying as close attention as I should have.  Today, I sat down and gave these a critical listen.  I'm not sure how I missed this the first time, but these are very noisy pressings-very disappointing!  Apparently a lot of customers in the U.S. have the same complaint, based on reviews.

EMI used a company called Rainbo, who seem to have a bad reputation for making bad pressings.  I've been out of the vinyl scene since 1983, so I didn't know anything about this.  The European discs are pressed by Pallas which is supposed to be better, but some English customers complained about warped records.

I processed a return through Amazon for a refund-I don't want to take the chance of getting another lemon based on what others have experienced-some have been through 2 or 3 sets.

I ordered the EU set from Amazon.co.uk. I'll let you know if the quality is better.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #69 on: November 21, 2012, 05:47:43 AM »

To be honest, when I originally listened to these, I wasn't paying as close attention as I should have.  Today, I sat down and gave these a critical listen.  I'm not sure how I missed this the first time, but these are very noisy pressings-very disappointing!  Apparently a lot of customers in the U.S. have the same complaint, based on reviews.

EMI used a company called Rainbo, who seem to have a bad reputation for making bad pressings.  I've been out of the vinyl scene since 1983, so I didn't know anything about this.  The European discs are pressed by Pallas which is supposed to be better, but some English customers complained about warped records.

I processed a return through Amazon for a refund-I don't want to take the chance of getting another lemon based on what others have experienced-some have been through 2 or 3 sets.

I ordered the EU set from Amazon.co.uk. I'll let you know if the quality is better.

I'm sorry to hear this, George.  I've read through several pages of the Amazon reviews and it was heartbreaking to hear the various problems people were experiencing.  I hope the Euro version solves the problem for you.

It's nice to know that Amazon is doing the right thing for their customers.  Let's see if EMI does the right thing by producing the set correctly and instituting an exchange program.

I think the art of making vinyl records has been lost along the way.  I hope there are some who still remember and EMI recruits them.

KelMar

« Reply #70 on: November 21, 2012, 07:27:50 PM »

That is disappointing. I haven't been online much and hadn't read the reviews. I hope your next set is much better. Thanks for sharing your experience; I am just going to wait this one out.

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #71 on: November 21, 2012, 09:00:37 PM »

That is disappointing. I haven't been online much and hadn't read the reviews. I hope your next set is much better. Thanks for sharing your experience; I am just going to wait this one out.

Yeah, Kelley, I wouldn't be in any big hurry if I was you.  I hope EMI see these reviews and make arrangements to press a second batch with a better pressing plant. The Beatles and their fans deserve better.

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #72 on: November 21, 2012, 09:14:33 PM »

I'm sorry to hear this, George.  I've read through several pages of the Amazon reviews and it was heartbreaking to hear the various problems people were experiencing.  I hope the Euro version solves the problem for you.

It's nice to know that Amazon is doing the right thing for their customers.  Let's see if EMI does the right thing by producing the set correctly and instituting an exchange program.

I think the art of making vinyl records has been lost along the way.  I hope there are some who still remember and EMI recruits them.

Barry, I was thinking for a while that maybe because I was listening to CDs for so long that I was being overly critical.  As I kept listening, however, I realized that I DO remember what good pressings sound like.

I used to return quite a few U.S. made EMI/Angel and CBS classical records back in the day.  Then I found out about a pharmacist in New Jersey who imported classical records from England and sold them in his store.  I was blown away the first time I heard HMVs pressings; night and day compared to Angel.

I thought about just returning these and not replacing them, but this set is the reason I bought a turntable again.  I hope to be blown away by the European pressings and I hope EMI finds a better pressing plant in the U.S.

Sir John Johns

• A Beginning
« Reply #73 on: November 22, 2012, 08:07:21 PM »

sorry to hear of your troubles.

I haven't played every record in the set, but the ones I have played show no signs of any warp/background noise. I bought my set through a local independent record store, I am not sure how they would handle any problems, if I did have any.

I'm glad I didn't have to go through the hassle of having to return this enourmous heavy box via mail. Shipping will always be an issue for this set.

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #74 on: November 23, 2012, 03:31:57 AM »

sorry to hear of your troubles.

I haven't played every record in the set, but the ones I have played show no signs of any warp/background noise. I bought my set through a local independent record store, I am not sure how they would handle any problems, if I did have any.

I'm glad I didn't have to go through the hassle of having to return this enourmous heavy box via mail. Shipping will always be an issue for this set.

The consensus seems to be that the noisy pressings begin with Revolver through Past Masters.  That was the case with me.  The older releases were better.

I hope all your pressings are good. I had to lug that thing to the UPS store yesterday.

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #75 on: November 24, 2012, 03:30:34 PM »

From amazon.co.uk on Beatles vinyl box set page:

"Item Under Review

This product is not currently offered by Amazon.co.uk because a customer recently told us that the item he or she received was not as described.

We are working to resolve this as quickly as possible. In the meantime, you may still find this product available from other sellers on this page."

Mine is in transit, makes me wonder what's going on.

KelMar

« Reply #76 on: November 24, 2012, 06:50:44 PM »

From amazon.co.uk on Beatles vinyl box set page:

"Item Under Review

This product is not currently offered by Amazon.co.uk because a customer recently told us that the item he or she received was not as described.

We are working to resolve this as quickly as possible. In the meantime, you may still find this product available from other sellers on this page."

Mine is in transit, makes me wonder what's going on.

Oh no.

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #77 on: November 24, 2012, 07:35:45 PM »

Oh no.

I did some digging.  This might have to do with complaints about packaging.  My U.S. set was packed well, the contents were in perfect condition.  I'll just have to wait and see how the E.U. is.

Sir John Johns

• A Beginning
« Reply #78 on: November 25, 2012, 12:34:27 AM »

No such issues so far - only two I haven't played are The White Album & Let It Be. If either of those turn out to be dudz I will just re-buy them individually.

Makes me wonder what happened at Amazon. I wonder if they did like a lot of big box stores do, which is send out returns to another customer in the hope that that customer will not return theirs.

This box set has re-ignited my love of vinyl - I love the whole process of sitting down and actually listening to records, keeping the stylus and records clean [treating them with love], rather than having music as background noise.

The consensus seems to be that the noisy pressings begin with Revolver through Past Masters.  That was the case with me.  The older releases were better.

I hope all your pressings are good. I had to lug that thing to the UPS store yesterday.

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #79 on: December 04, 2012, 10:28:24 PM »

My E.U. set came today.  The outer Amazon box looked like the dog ate it.  The inside cardboard box was fine and the actual box set is fine, including the outer slipcase.

None of the discs are warped, thank goodness.  Some poor soul over on the Steve Hoffman forums said he went through 2 E.U. sets and had 5 warped discs on each one!

I listened to Sgt. Pepper's since a lot of folks said there was a lot of distortion on side one.  I heard no distortion and I heard nothing else except the music!  This is a very quiet disc!

I listened to Abbey Road; again no audio problems and a quiet pressing.

I'm listening to side three of Past Masters right now and all I hear is the music!

A lot of peopled complained of boomy bass on the U.S. pressings; I hear natural bass on these.

So far so good!

« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 11:26:21 PM by ibanez_ax »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Page created in 1.212 seconds with 79 queries.