Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: the raving texans....rory storm  (Read 50924 times)

Pothos

• A Beginning
Re: the raving texans....rory storm
« Reply #140 on: February 17, 2014, 12:00:31 PM »

This is intriguing as I have read a lot on RSATH and that is the first time I have read that the post the band was renamed after the death of Ty Brien. I know they only did a handful of dates then split.

Could you tell me your source as it is nowhere online or in the books I have read and translated and so brand new information. It looks right regarding the image as this is obviously late 1960's early 1970's.

Also Rory rocking the Thin White Duke image (again must be late 1960's) has always intrigued me.

Also if any Beatles fan or person has any knowledge of the later years of RSATH 67 -72 please can you add to this thread.

I noticed that Stormville still stands but the property where The Morgue Cellar was and where George auditioned and then joined the Beatles is gone. A new property is on the original footprint so if anyone has info on;

The original cellar was known as Balgownie at 25a Oakhill Park.

So if anyone has info on.

The Morgue cellar (original pics of that building)
Any information on the Beatles appearances at the Morgue.
Anything on the band The Hi Fi which was the band Ty and Lu were in previously to RSATH.
Anything on Ty and Lu where in Liverpool they were born etc.

Thank you

Bobber

« Reply #141 on: February 24, 2014, 11:48:33 AM »

Pothos

• A Beginning
« Reply #142 on: February 24, 2014, 06:18:17 PM »

Thank you Bobber.

Bobber

« Reply #143 on: February 25, 2014, 10:56:13 AM »

Thank you Bobber.

I don't know if Bill Harry's site answers all your questions. But it's a good site to start a search with.

Pothos

• A Beginning
« Reply #144 on: January 07, 2015, 06:18:12 PM »

In remembrance of what would have been Rory Storm's 77th Birthday.

KelMar

« Reply #145 on: January 07, 2015, 07:28:51 PM »

In remembrance of what would have been Rory Storm's 77th Birthday.

My first recollection of Alan Caldwell is of a young man fair haired lad surging past me and several other runners over the last half mile of the Waterloo road Race in November 1956, sing the song “Rock around the Clock” at the top of his voice.
It was the late 50s with the emergence of rock and roll and all that went with it. I suppose it was an early indicator of Alan’s inclination towards a “rock and roll” lifestyle he eventually adopted.

Norman Wilson

Liverpool Beat

Bobber

« Reply #146 on: January 07, 2015, 09:04:47 PM »

Still, after reading the specific parts in the Mark Lewisohn books, I can understand why Rory was left behind. He was big in May 1960, but the Hurricanes' show didn't change or even improve for the years to come. Even the Hamburg folk (Klaus, Jurgen, Astrid) remembered that while The Beatles tried to put on a different show even every other night, The Hurricanes just kept repeating themselves over and over and over again. Their songs and stage show stayed the same for years. This must have bored their audience and probably turned them off. Rory wasn't the greatest singer in the world and listening to the Hive Jive recordings, the band was not as good as they were supposed to be. By the time Brian Epstein recorded them (America), it was 1964 and The Hurricanes had already missed the first boat.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 09:21:10 PM by Bobber »

OldSwanRory

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #147 on: October 07, 2015, 02:12:57 PM »

Hi All

I have just joined the forum. I have been on here reading this thread for a while. As you can see from my name I am a big fan of Rory and the lads.

I have come on here as I have just released a book on Kindle about the band. It has input from Rory's sister Iris, Bass player Walter Eymond/Lou Walters, ex drummer Jimmy Tushingham, Roadie Jamo Jamieson, Ted Kingsize Taylor and Sam Leach among others. It also contains over 140 photographs, many unseen before in public, some with Ringo on. It tells the story of all the guys in the band. The funny times and the tragic.

It can be downloaded on any device and read, Laptop, phone, Ipad, tablet, Kindle etc. It is available in most countries and for the next few days is on offer at £3.99 in the UK and $6.06 in the USA.

This is the UK link for Amazon  http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B015U9A6AY?*Version*=1&*entries*=0

I will be sticking around this forum and may add a little to this wonderful thread.

Take care all

Ant   icon_good

OldSwanRory

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #148 on: October 07, 2015, 02:16:17 PM »

I already know a few of you from another forum. Hoping to get to know a few other Hurricane fans.

Bobber

« Reply #149 on: October 08, 2015, 07:03:05 AM »

I already know a few of you from another forum. Hoping to get to know a few other Hurricane fans.

Hi Ant, I see you found the place.

The biggest fan of Rory in here sadly passed away earlier this year...

OldSwanRory

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #150 on: October 08, 2015, 07:08:08 AM »

Now that is sad to hear bud.

KelMar

« Reply #151 on: October 08, 2015, 03:05:23 PM »

I will be sticking around this forum and may add a little to this wonderful thread.

Welcome Ant!

OldSwanRory

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #152 on: October 08, 2015, 07:10:37 PM »

OldSwanRory

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #153 on: October 08, 2015, 09:41:09 PM »

Still, after reading the specific parts in the Mark Lewisohn books, I can understand why Rory was left behind. He was big in May 1960, but the Hurricanes' show didn't change or even improve for the years to come. Even the Hamburg folk (Klaus, Jurgen, Astrid) remembered that while The Beatles tried to put on a different show even every other night, The Hurricanes just kept repeating themselves over and over and over again. Their songs and stage show stayed the same for years. This must have bored their audience and probably turned them off. Rory wasn't the greatest singer in the world and listening to the Hive Jive recordings, the band was not as good as they were supposed to be. By the time Brian Epstein recorded them (America), it was 1964 and The Hurricanes had already missed the first boat.

The Jive Hive CD is May 1960. Before they went to Butlins or Hamburg. Not a great recording no. But bands improved, Remember, The Beatles were not considered that good until after Hamburg. The Hurricanes did change their set, but they were big Rock n Rolls boys. Rory was not a great singer, Lou was better than him. But as a showman he was probably one of the best around. They were a top Liverpool band. You do not get to be that if you are not that good.

OldSwanRory

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #154 on: October 08, 2015, 09:44:14 PM »

Also been reading on Bill Harry's site that Rory changed his name by deed poll is this actually true as in the book all the paperwork in the book regarding the events of 1972 are under the name of Alan Earnest Caldwell. I wonder if it was an urban myth.

No, that is another false account that appears in many books. Rory did not change his name by Deed poll. I have seen his passport from 1972.

Bobber

« Reply #155 on: October 12, 2015, 11:43:35 AM »

The Jive Hive CD is May 1960. Before they went to Butlins or Hamburg. Not a great recording no. But bands improved, Remember, The Beatles were not considered that good until after Hamburg. The Hurricanes did change their set, but they were big Rock n Rolls boys. Rory was not a great singer, Lou was better than him. But as a showman he was probably one of the best around. They were a top Liverpool band. You do not get to be that if you are not that good.

Unfortunately I have never seen Rory and the Hurricanes perform live, so my ideas are based on what I think are reliable sources. Yes, I believe they were big rock 'n roll boys and stuck to it. Somehow it looks as if they stuck that much to it that it seems that the world around them was changing while they still stuck to rock 'n roll. It's the same feeling I get when listening to The Beatles albums: the covers they did, did fit in on the first albums, but they became more and more out of place. Mr Moonlight and Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby from Beatles For Sale and Dizzy Miss Lizzy from Help! were great songs and monsters in the Beatles repertoire a few years earlier, but lost their merits by the time they were recorded by The Beatles imho.

OldSwanRory

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #156 on: October 12, 2015, 10:04:57 PM »

True Bobber

Sadly they never adapted and that is life.

Rory was made for Glam Rock. He was Glam Rock a decade before it was invented. Sadly he passed away on the eve of it. We will never know now what may have been.

Bobber

« Reply #157 on: October 13, 2015, 08:29:48 AM »

True Bobber

Sadly they never adapted and that is life.

Rory was made for Glam Rock. He was Glam Rock a decade before it was invented. Sadly he passed away on the eve of it. We will never know now what may have been.

That's an interesting thought. What the history and roots of Glam Rock anyway? Was there ever any credit given to Rory?

OldSwanRory

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #158 on: October 13, 2015, 05:50:24 PM »

No mate.

But Rod Stewart had clearly seen his act. Even down to the leopard skin pants and boots that Rory wore.

Many Mersey Beat people say that when they first saw Rod Stewart they saw Rory.

Bobber

« Reply #159 on: October 14, 2015, 07:20:33 AM »

No mate.

But Rod Stewart had clearly seen his act. Even down to the leopard skin pants and boots that Rory wore.

Many Mersey Beat people say that when they first saw Rod Stewart they saw Rory.

Hmm. And was Rory original in doing this? Or was he in his turn influenced by an earlier source?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Page created in 0.745 seconds with 72 queries.