Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: the raving texans....rory storm  (Read 50910 times)

Bobber

Re: the raving texans....rory storm
« Reply #80 on: September 05, 2012, 10:03:43 AM »

There seems to be some more audio material from Rory and the band, rehearsal demo's. There's rumours it will be released later this year.

I told ya!

From contactmusic.com:

Early Ringo Starr Tapes Unearthed

Recordings featuring The Beatles drummer Ringo Starr before he found fame with the Fab Four have been discovered in a basement.

The previously unheard sessions, from 1960, contain performances by Rory Storm and the Hurricanes - the band Starr played with prior to joining The Beatles.

The tapes, which feature tracks from a gig near Liverpool and a recording of a rehearsal at frontman Storm's home, were unearthed by Storm's sister, Iris Caldwell, in the cellar of her house and they are now set to be released on a new album.

She tells the Bbc, "I suppose these tapes have been in an old sealed box ever since (they were recorded)."

Starr left Rory Storm and the Hurricanes to join The Beatles as Pete Best's replacement in 1962, shortly before the band shot to fame.

stuartblogtumblr

• Bootleg Members
  • One And One Is Two
Rory Storm and the Hurricanes
« Reply #81 on: September 06, 2012, 04:53:59 AM »

This title will be released on September 25, 2012.

stuartblogtumblr

• Bootleg Members
  • One And One Is Two
« Reply #82 on: September 06, 2012, 11:53:02 AM »

Thanks, DM's for adding the above photo to Bobber's comment.  To listen to "Dr. Feelgood" by Rory Storm and The Hurricanes, try this link: http://rolling-ringo-on-roller-skates.tumblr.com/post/12721112121/mybeatleythings-dr-feelgood-by-rory-storm-and-hurricanes
(link via mybeatleythings and ringo-on-roller-skates , tumblr)

(Whoops...I see a link was already provided from pc31; hope either his or mine works!)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 11:56:49 AM by stuartblogtumblr »

Bobber

« Reply #83 on: September 06, 2012, 12:08:33 PM »

You're welcome.

I believe the 'complete works' of Rory were once uploaded in the bootleg section.

stuartblogtumblr

• Bootleg Members
  • One And One Is Two
« Reply #84 on: September 06, 2012, 12:18:59 PM »

Excellent----I'll check out the bootleg section today.  Lots to see and do here at DM's!

Bobber

« Reply #85 on: September 06, 2012, 12:32:28 PM »

Excellent----I'll check out the bootleg section today.  Lots to see and do here at DM's!

I've added you to the group of bootleg members to give you access to the bootleg section (which is usually just accessable for members with 50 posts or more).

stuartblogtumblr

• Bootleg Members
  • One And One Is Two
« Reply #86 on: September 06, 2012, 07:55:08 PM »

Wow....that is more than hospitable; I'm very grateful!  I feel very welcome here and I'm looking forward to posting Stuart Sutcliffe information for an enjoyably long time.  Thank you very much.

Bobber

« Reply #87 on: September 07, 2012, 08:50:49 AM »

Wow....that is more than hospitable; I'm very grateful!  I feel very welcome here and I'm looking forward to posting Stuart Sutcliffe information for an enjoyably long time.  Thank you very much.

No problem. See I'm not scary at all. lol

Bobber

« Reply #88 on: September 12, 2012, 12:29:28 PM »

Ringo doubts whether he's on the recording:

http://www.dmbeatles.com/forums/index.php?topic=14030.0

stuartblogtumblr

• Bootleg Members
  • One And One Is Two
« Reply #89 on: September 12, 2012, 08:18:21 PM »

Yep....I was aware that Ringo is not the drummer on the recordings.  The Hurricanes (like a lot of the Mersey musicians) underwent many incarnations during the years they played together.  But Ringo's absence doesn't make their music any less enjoyable or worth listening to.  Rory Storm (Alan Caldwell) was a fascinating showman who shared the stage with the Beatles in Hamburg (as I'm sure you all know).  Thought it was remarkable that he stuttered---except when he sang.  Thanks Bobber...on top of things as usual.

Bobber

« Reply #90 on: September 12, 2012, 09:11:36 PM »

It gets confusing, for the cover tells us it's a recording from 1960. I'm not sure hoe many times Rory played the Jive Hive, but he did play there on April 16, 1960. I believe Ringo was the bands drummer then. So either the date is wrong, or Ringo is wrong.

stuartblogtumblr

• Bootleg Members
  • One And One Is Two
« Reply #91 on: September 12, 2012, 09:26:55 PM »

You're right about the dates, Bobber----this is posted on Rate Your Music http://rateyourmusic.com/artist/rory_storm_and_the_hurricanes

RORY STORM AND THE HURRICANES

Formed     1957   Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom
Disbanded 1967

RORY STORM             (Alan Caldwell, vocals
JOHNNY GUITAR         (John Byrne, guitar, vocals)
TY                           (Tyrone Brian, guitar, vocals 1959-1967)
RINGO STARR             (drums 1959-1962)
LEWIS LU WALTERS     (bass, vocals, 1959-1961; 1962-1965)
BOBBY THOMPSON       (bass, 1962)
GIBSON KEMP             (drums, 1962-1963)
BRIAN JOHNSON          (drums, 1963)
KEEF HARTLEY            (drums, 1963)
IAN BROAD                 (drums, 1963)
TREVOR MORAIS          (drums, 1963-1964)
JIMMY TUSHINGHAM    (drums, 1964-1967)
VINCE EARL                (bass, vocals, 1965-1966)
DAVE MAY                  (bass)
KARL TERRY                (bass)
HUNDREDS MOREL        (bass)
CARL RICH                  (drums, 1967)
KEITH KARLSON           (bass, 1967)
ADRIAN LORD              (guitar, 1967)

Also known as:              THE ALAN CALDWELL SKIFFLE GROUP
                                    THE RAVING TEXANS

But who knows...musicians back then seemed interchangeable from band to band---sitting in whenever somebody was sick or late or sodded off.  And wasn't it Ringo who said "I was too stoned to remember?"

« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 09:32:46 PM by stuartblogtumblr »

Bobber

« Reply #92 on: September 27, 2012, 08:48:34 PM »

This title will be released on September 25, 2012.

Anybody already heard it?

stuartblogtumblr

• Bootleg Members
  • One And One Is Two
« Reply #94 on: November 01, 2012, 08:03:39 PM »

Thanks for the article, Bobber.  So many situations remain unclear when it comes to the Beatles, and I often despair that we'll ever know for sure what's accurate.  Glad that Rory Storm and the Hurricanes are getting the acknowledgement they deserve.  One wonders what might have happened for a lot of the talented Merseyside musicians if just one or two circumstances had been different for them.

Bobber

« Reply #95 on: May 15, 2013, 10:51:19 AM »

I ordered this cd today. Curious.

Bobber

« Reply #96 on: May 30, 2013, 12:45:29 PM »

I have listened to the cd in the last few days. I must admit that Rory Storm and the Hurricans sound like a band with great power, certainly considering the date this was presumably recorded. But then again, the band itself is not that good as sources claim it to be. First of all, Johnny Guitar is not exactly the guitar hero. His guitar is dramatically out of tune from the very first song. Rory is not such a great singer, he sounds like he drank too much and make all the songs sound the same. That goes for the drummer -whoever it is- too. It doesn't sound like Ringo's style, but this is March 1960. Ringo could very well be developing his style. Bad timing, breaks out of place and a lot of use of the cymbals. Strange. Lu Walters sings a song too and he's a better singer than Rory. The crowd doesn't go wild at all, that is not verbally.
Still it's great to hear this band in a live recording.

Pothos

• A Beginning
« Reply #97 on: December 07, 2013, 12:00:51 AM »

I recently purchased the Tom Egbers book on Rory Storm. Took a lot of time to translate it from Dutch to English but enjoyed it and you could tell Iris must have had some input. I do not agree with Egbers assessment of the events leading up to and including September 1972 and you wonder if Iris was happy with the overall tone of the final chapters. Personally Egbers did not convince me it was a double suicide.
The Beatles come over fairly well and you do get a feel for the emerging scene that all the bands were part of. Some of the stories are new to me such as the case of Johnny Guitar and the unfortunate Elephant, Paul at Scout camp so missing a gig and Ringo nearly drowning at Butlins.

I enjoyed every moment of getting to know Rory and the other better.

Bobber

« Reply #98 on: December 09, 2013, 08:46:04 PM »

Welcome aboard Pothos. I believe theres some people interested in your translation of the Tom Egbers book.

Pothos

• A Beginning
« Reply #99 on: December 09, 2013, 11:17:48 PM »

I just used a couple of sites to change the jpg to a docx and then used google translate (just for personal use) . Took a couple of weeks and nearly drove me mad. It is an interesting book although I do not agree with the conclusion of the author. I must say I have not heard of anyone being interested in the translation and to be honest some of the text still did not translate properly but the essence of the book is there and some of the stories such as Alan's time as manager of the Morgue, The Beatles v RSATH mini bus chicken and the story of the unfortunate elephant at Skegness really bring the era, the band and Rory to life. I also am not ashamed to say that there were moments when the text brought me to tears. I do not think the book shows any disrespect to The Beatles.

The backbone of the book to me is actually family and friendship. I was actually staggered at the number of beatings the group took including Rory taking a brick to his head and also the amount of ladies they entertained . One of the funnier moments was seeing the translation come up regarding a picture of the band with some ladies and underneath the phrase girl feast came up, it took a while for me to stop laughing.

I am genuinely sad that they never made it an wish I could have seen them play but reading the book and visiting many of the existing sites I feel I have got to know RSATH, Rory's family and the scene that created them.

So thank you for the welcome.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Page created in 0.712 seconds with 73 queries.