Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: George's Worst Album  (Read 13602 times)

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
Re: George's Worst Album
« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2008, 04:26:07 PM »

I hate "Got My Mind Set On You", too. I much prefer Weird Al's sendup-- you must play "This song's just six words long". Hilarious.

However, the rest of Cloud 9 is wonderful. Since it closes with GMMSOY you can easily avoid it.  
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

madman

• A Beginning
« Reply #61 on: May 14, 2008, 07:14:06 AM »

Quote from: 551
I hate "Got My Mind Set On You", too. I much prefer Weird Al's sendup-- you must play "This song's just six words long". Hilarious.

However, the rest of Cloud 9 is wonderful. Since it closes with GMMSOY you can easily avoid it.  

I just listened to a clip of "This Song's..." on allmusic.com; that is funny.  I gotta find the whole thing.

I avoided "Cloud 9" just because I couldn't stand "Got My Mind Set On You"; maybe I should actually listen to it now and see if I like it!

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2008, 01:48:21 PM »

I've generally been able to find it on YouTube with a search. The quality of those videos vary, but you can look away and at least hear all the clever lyrics. One of his best, I thought.

He also spoofed "Taxman" with "Pacman"- in that case do try to find the actual Al video, because the graphics are pretty funny. George liked Al's work (of course); I can imagine them accidentally meeting in a restaurant after Al did his spoof, and Al sliding under the table to hide. :)
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

madman

• A Beginning
« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2008, 07:36:02 AM »

Quote from: 713
According to All Music Guide his worst album is "Gone Troppo". It received 1 of 5 stars! (afraid4). Is really that bad?

I just listened to it today, for the first time in a long time.  I don't think it's bad, it's just average.  All the songs share the same mellow mood, with lots of harmonized slide guitars, but there's nothing really remarkable about any of them.  

The only exceptions would be "Wake Up My Love', since that's the song with the most synths, and "Circles", which has a "bluesy" (for lack of a better word) feel to it.

Mellotroniac

• A Beginning
« Reply #64 on: May 18, 2008, 12:28:39 AM »

Electronic Sound is by far the worst to me. If I knew albums like that could sell, I'd be rich along time ago.
The only other major turn off was the "George Harrison" album, something I don't like about perms.
&quot;No one around you will love you today and throw it all away...&quot;<br />&quot;Nothing is real...&quot;<br />&quot;Its all in the mind...&quot;<br />&quot;And life flows on within you and w

Lana

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2008, 08:31:36 PM »

??)  Well, in my most humble opinion, there is no such thing.  LOL.  I find something fantastic about each and every one of George's albums.  
[size=14]Lana[/size]

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #66 on: June 06, 2008, 08:54:56 PM »

Quote from: 1309
something I don't like about perms.

(afro)

They had these, too: poor buggers.  ;D

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2008, 08:24:37 PM »

Quote from: 1309
The only other major turn off was the "George Harrison" album, something I don't like about perms.
Fortunately, you don't have to listen to the perm to enjoy the music. But I understand. I never liked the cover to the "Brainwashed" album, so I have to sort of avert my eyes when I play it.

Welcome to the forums, Lana!

DarkSweetLady

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #68 on: June 08, 2008, 04:25:26 PM »

I really don't think Gone Troppo is as bad as peoplesay it is. I mean not his best, but I like a few songs on it like Dream Away is so fun and Cirlces is good and Mystical One.

~the guiding light in all your love shines on~

NoNameR

• A Beginning
« Reply #69 on: October 31, 2008, 04:54:13 PM »

Live in Japan because it's dull. Otherwise, it'd have been Dark Horse.

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #70 on: November 03, 2008, 08:49:07 PM »

Quote from: 668
I really don't think Gone Troppo is as bad as peoplesay it is. I mean not his best, but I like a few songs on it like Dream Away is so fun and Cirlces is good and Mystical One.

Agree with you. I think the album is good and I like to listen to it from time to time. But Cloud 9 is fantastic for me, I just love it! And the more I listened to it the more I loved it. Now I adore it! It is one of the best albums for me of all, I never get tired of it, I get into it more and more, opening every sound.

fercarv

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #71 on: November 04, 2008, 09:07:05 PM »

I think the worst album by George is "Extra Texture" because I think it's really dull, his voice may sound bad in Dark Horse but the songs themselves aren't bad. I've heard George himself considered Extra Texture to be his worst album.

By the way, Somewhere In England is one of my favorite George albums and I can't understand why many people here don't like it (The rejected tracks are pretty good too).

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #72 on: November 06, 2008, 02:22:47 AM »

I just listened to 'Gone Troppo' again the other day to see if my opinion may have changed.

Nope, it still sucks.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #73 on: November 20, 2008, 07:23:30 AM »

Some time back I won 33 1/3 in a quiz on another forum. Whilst I much appreciated the prize donated by the forum admin, it is an earth shatteringly poor and badly written album. I chose it because so many people seem to rate it highly, but I realised I was on to a loser as soon as the slap bass kicked in on the first track. Tell me what is supposed to be good about this album?

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #74 on: November 20, 2008, 04:09:42 PM »

Quote from: 483
Some time back I won 33 1/3 in a quiz on another forum. Whilst I much appreciated the prize donated by the forum admin, it is an earth shatteringly poor and badly written album. Tell me what is supposed to be good about this album?

I like it for "This Song" and Crackerbox Palace" particularly, and also "True Love" and "Pure Smokey." "Beautiful Girl" just might be an old mid-sixties Beatles leftover, and "Dear One" is an interesting idea. Most of the rest is filler, and yeah, I'm probably too soft on him because he's an ex-Beatle. But there you are.  ;D

Bobber

« Reply #75 on: November 21, 2008, 08:35:29 AM »

Some time back I won 33 1/3 in a quiz on another forum. Whilst I much appreciated the prize donated by the forum admin, it is an earth shatteringly poor and badly written album. I chose it because so many people seem to rate it highly, but I realised I was on to a loser as soon as the slap bass kicked in on the first track. Tell me what is supposed to be good about this album?

You had better picked RAM.  ;D

Kagome

• A Beginning
  • Recording Engineer Toshiba EMI & Capitol EMI
« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2009, 09:51:32 PM »

I think Living in the Material world sucks worst than 33 1/3 Only one hit or good song on the Living in the Material World Album is Give me love Give Peace on Earth

« Reply #77 on: February 15, 2009, 05:13:11 AM »

Somewhere in England, I think George subconsciously sabotaged it because the record company made him change the original.  After "All Those Years Ago" nothing good until "Save The World " Dark Horse & Extra Texture are way better in terms of songwriting and Gone Troppo is a fun, loose album.

« Reply #78 on: February 15, 2009, 05:25:34 AM »

Are you kidding?!  "Woman Don't You Cry For Me" kicks ass.  "This Song" is the funniest parody of the My Sweet Lord affair. "See Yourself" and "It's What You Value" are philosophies we all should follow.  "Learning How to Love You" is one of his best all-time ballads with a great acoustic guitar solo.

(Also, pre-MTV wonderfully produced videos of This Song and Crackerbox Palace at his home on F.P.H.O.T.)

BlueMeanie

« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2009, 07:48:41 AM »

Quote from: 1918

Are you kidding?!  

No! Even if you like it I don't know how you could possibly think it was THAT good.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 87 queries.