Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Denny's influence on London Town  (Read 9196 times)

Wordno

• Getting Better
  • Fortune favors the bold
Denny's influence on London Town
« on: January 28, 2007, 06:21:11 AM »

I've been listening to London Town a lot lately and I am noticing that Denny had a lot of influence on this album. A lot of the songs have a folky sort of native american and maybe even a gypsy feel to them. Its definately not Paul's style of writing. On London Town, Paul and Denny wrote a lot of songs together. Songs like Deliver your children(great song!), Don't let it bring you down, Backwards traveller, Famous groupies, Children Children and Moorse moose and the Grey goose definately had a Denny feel to them. The album is definately different from the rest of Wings albums. I've read somewhere that Denny was part gypsy and that might contribute to his folky sort of writing which I think is great. 'Time to hide'(Live version) was probably a noticible start to his folky type of music. London Town os a great album. I still think its wierd Wings didn't put out a harder album considering the type of shows they were playing the previous year. I think Denny deserves a lot more credit than he gets. His style of writing is great and if he did indeed write the majority of 'Mull of Kintyre' then he definately deserves some credit.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Re: Denny's influence on London Town
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 08:09:03 AM »

Doesnt Denny only get credit for 'London Town', 'Children Children', 'Dont Let It Bring You Down', and 'Morse Moose And The Grey Goose'?

Wordno

• Getting Better
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 05:40:50 PM »

According to Wikipedia, Denny got credit for London town, Children Children, Deliver Your children, Don't let it bring you down, and Moorse Moose and the Grey Goose. But what I'm saying is that Denny obviously helped influnce the sound of those songs. I also think he contributed to Famous Groupies. Just becauses hes not credited for the song doesn't mean he didn't help. Its like in The Beatles, George or John claimed that George had wrote a line in 'Come Together' and he never got credit for the helping with the song.

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 05:45:55 PM »

Quote from: 373
Doesnt Denny only get credit for 'London Town', 'Children Children', 'Dont Let It Bring You Down', and 'Morse Moose And The Grey Goose'?

What I've seen agrees with tkitna, Wordno:

Side 1
London Town McCartney-Laine 4:10
Cafe On The Left Bank  McCartney 3:25
I'm Carrying McCartney 2:44
Backwards Traveller McCartney 1:07
Cuff Link McCartney 2:03
Children Children McCartney-Laine  2:20
Girlfriend McCartney 4:31
I've Had Enough McCartney 3:02

Side 2
Track Composer Time
With A Little Luck McCartney 5:45
Famous Groupies McCartney 3:34
Deliver Your Children McCartney 4:17
Name And Address McCartney 3:07
Don't Let It Bring You Down McCartney-Laine 4:34
Morse Moose And The Grey Goose  McCartney-Laine  6:27

from here: http://www.jpgr.co.uk/pas10012.html

Wordno

• Getting Better
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 05:51:31 PM »

What I've seen agrees with me

Track listing

All songs by Paul McCartney, except where noted.

1."London Town" (Paul McCartney/Denny Laine)

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 06:01:43 PM »

Wikipedia wins once a-gain?  8)
I've taken a look at my copy of the album and you're comple-telly right, Wordno!!!  :B ;)

... and it says that these 5 songs were written by McCartney and Laine:
London Town
Children Children
Deliver Your Children
Dont Let It Bring You Down
Morse Moose And The Grey Goose

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 08:12:57 AM »

I was just asking. I wasnt trying to prove anything.

Anyways, I like the album alot.

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 02:24:55 PM »

Quote from: 373
I was just asking. I wasnt trying to prove anything.

Anyways, I like the album alot.
Who said you was? ... the album is, well, OK for the 70s ... but it's one of their most boring works, in my opinion.

Wordno

• Getting Better
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 03:52:03 PM »

I agree with Tkitna, its a great album. When I first heard it I hated it. But it grew on me and now I love it. Though I don't think its one of their most boring works, I just think London Town followed up after two great albums.(At the speed of sound and Wings over America). Back to the egg is probably their most boring album. I heard it for the first time this morning in the shower. I'll probably change my opinion once I hear the album more.

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2007, 04:01:03 PM »

I'm glad: this time I included "in my opinon"  ;D

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2007, 04:10:17 PM »

Quote from: 403
. Back to the egg is probably their most boring album. I heard it for the first time this morning in the shower.

Okay, I need to know this. You're an avid, maybe even fanatical McCartneyist, so a  "new" album to listen to must be a bit of an event. So either
1. You bought it last night, got drunk in celebration and forgot to play it, and only remembered in the morning?
2. It came in the very early post?
3. You like the accoustics in the bathroom, and figure the water noise is bearable?
4. You're stereo's in the shower?
5. You have access to some very good drugs?
don't follow leaders

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2007, 04:12:28 PM »

Quote from: 185
[...]5. You have access to some very good drugs?
Hope it was this!!! ;D

Wordno

• Getting Better
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2007, 04:34:19 PM »

Okay, I need to know this. You're an avid, maybe even fanatical McCartneyist, so a  "new" album to listen must be a bit of an event. So either
1. You bought it last night, got drunk in celebration and forgot to play it, and only remembered in the morning?
2. It came in the very early post?
3. You like the accoustics in the bathroom, and figure the water noise is bearable?
4. You're stereo's in the shower?
5. You have access to some very good drugs?

Hehe well, I don't think I'm fanatical. I just like Wings a lot. Well to put things in perspective, I started to listen to Wings a lot about 5 or 6 months ago. I've been a Beatles fan for awhile and wanted to see what Wings were all about, So I bought the Dvd 'Rockshow' and just loved the concert. So thats when I started buying the albums and been putting them on my ipod. I was having a hard time finding the albums and I just recently found London Town and Back To The Egg.

I put the cds on my ipod. I have an ipod stereo that plays my ipod outloud. I like to listen to music in the shower so thats why I heard Back To The Egg this morning. I just got the album yesterday. Music in the shower is cool, try it. I haven't smoked weed in awhile, but maybe thats a good thing. Anyways, hopefully I answered all your questions and cleared things up :P

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2007, 04:38:59 PM »

Thankyou. I actually forgot about IPods and the like. Have you noticed that when you stopped taking drugs you started liking Wings? The two may not be disconnected.
don't follow leaders

Wordno

• Getting Better
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2007, 05:23:43 PM »

Have you noticed that when you stopped taking drugs you started liking Wings? The two may not be disconnected.

Nah, I started liking Wings when I found Amazon.com selling 'Wings Rockshow' on dvd. I bought it and got it in the mail a week later. Then I watched it on my home theater(Big screen TV with six big speakers. No one hardly uses it. So I decided to make good use of it) and I was blown away by how great that concert was. Great opener with Venus and Mars/Rockshow medly into Jet and finishing with Hi Hi Hi and Soily. It was awesome watching it really loud. I'd say thats when I started liking Wings, not when I stopped smoking lol.

Bobber

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2007, 07:42:12 PM »

Back To The Egg is a great album in my humble opinion. Getting Closer and Arrow Through Me are excellent songs. Oh, if only juniorsfarm was here! (I didn't mean that  ;D)

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2007, 07:59:16 PM »

Quote from: 63
Back To The Egg is a great album in my humble opinion. Getting Closer and Arrow Through Me are excellent songs. Oh, if only juniorsfarm was here! (I didn't mean that  ;D)

I think that tkitna likes the album a lot too ... you all know that it's not one of my favourites but I think too that is much better than London Town ... (and don't wake up nobody, Bobber, please  ;D)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2007, 01:04:02 AM »

Yeah, I like 'Back To The Egg' a lot. I like it a lot better than 'London Town' too. 'BTTE' is close to breaking my top 5 Macca records and I think theres a bunch of cool tunes on it.

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2007, 08:11:59 PM »

I really like London Town! Some great efforts by Denny too! It has a very traditional English folk influence.

dirtyoldsod

• A Beginning
  • Sue me sue you
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2007, 04:05:37 AM »

London Town is one of my favorite Wings albums, and Denny's songs are some of the best on the album in my opinion.
<br /><br /><br />
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 79 queries.