Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Final meetings  (Read 9516 times)

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
Final meetings
« on: February 05, 2015, 02:50:37 PM »

Apologies in advance if this has already been covered somewhere at some time and I'm sure if that's so a moderator can/will merge this with the appropriate thread, but I'm wondering if any of you know when and where John last met up with each of his fellow ex Beatles?

Didn't he and Yoko dine out in New York with Ringo & Barbara around November 1980?

When and where did he last meet up with Paul?

I remember reading somewhere that John bumped into George backstage at a Monty Python gig around 1979? true?

Any information gratefully received!
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Bobber

Re: Final meetings
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 05:34:31 PM »

The answer is probably to be found in Keith Badmans book.

Fab4Fan

• Getting Better
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 03:44:50 AM »

The answer is probably to be found in Keith Badmans book.

Yes it is, and to quote one of George's song titles, The Answer's at the End!*

*Actually, I don't know if Badman's book contains the answers, or if they're at the end or not. I really just wanted an excuse to squeeze a couple of fitting song titles into a reply!

;sorry

« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 03:46:31 AM by Fab4Fan »
I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 02:00:10 AM »

OK I'll admit I was hoping someone would save me the job of dusting off my old copy of "After The Break-Up" and trying to pinpoint the answers which, as Bobber says, no doubt lie within its pages...

But I did so and have so far established that Ringo was the last Beatle to see John alive. That was on Wednesday, November 26th, 1980 - Ringo & Barbara joined John & Yoko at New York's Plaza Hotel and spent almost five apparently enjoyable hours in each other's company, concluding with John's agreement to appear on Ringo's next album......

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 02:32:28 AM »

Mr M. Did it specify when George and John last met? I think Paul and Ringo's final face to face woth John are well established. Even books on George are a bit vague on precise meetings after John came to his end of your party in 1974. Only referencing a handful of meetings after that. Apparently George was in NY a bit in 1979 but they didn't meet then as far as anyone seems to be aware.

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 12:15:19 AM »

Here's the last documented photo I can find of John & Ringo together; it's a well known shot supposedly snapped by Fred Seaman when Ringo called in at The Dakota on Tuesday, May 29th, 1979:

At the end of March 1981, an interview with Ringo was transmitted on US television. Barbara Walters specifically asks him when he last met John, and Ringo states November 15th:

Ringo Starr tells 1981 about the last time he saw John Lennon

Assuming Keith Badman's research - which seems rather exhaustive elsewhere in his book - is correct, then I suppose it's easy to conclude that Ringo is slightly muddled on the exact date, so I'm sticking with November 26th.

There were several meetings between John and Ringo around the end of the 70s and on into 1980. I always felt the two had a special bond; they were closest in age and seemed to be on a very similar wavelength with their sense of humour. I'm not aware of any bad blood between them, ever... whereas we all know that John/Paul, Paul/George, John/George, Ringo/Paul all had bust ups at various times.

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 12:31:28 AM »

Mr M. Did it specify when George and John last met? I think Paul and Ringo's final face to face woth John are well established. Even books on George are a bit vague on precise meetings after John came to his end of your party in 1974. Only referencing a handful of meetings after that. Apparently George was in NY a bit in 1979 but they didn't meet then as far as anyone seems to be aware.

As you say Moog, they had previously got together at the wrap for George's tour on Friday, December 20th 1974. This was at New York's Hippopotamus Club and it yielded the last ever photograph of George and John together, taken - apparently - by May Pang....

George did indeed make a number of back-and-forth flying visits to New York during 1979, but as far as is known these (mystifyingly brief and frequent?) trips never included any meet ups with John.

The book maintains that John & Yoko flew out to Los Angeles after their famous "Playboy" interview sessions concluded, for a pre-arranged meeting with George and Derek Taylor at The Hollywood Bowl, where Monty Python's Flying Circus were performing. That was on Sunday, September 28th, 1980, and George gave an audio cassette recording of his proposed new album to John. I can find no further mention of John and George ever meeting again after that date, yet the book makes no mention at all of it being their final encounter.

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 11:02:02 PM »

Most sources I've been able to check suggest these to be the final photographs of Lennon & McCartney together:

Now, were these taken by May Pang - as some sources claim - during the lost weekend at John's rented Santa Monica beach house?  or were they taken by Dougal Butler, friend and assistant to Keith Moon who was also there at the time?

I think there were other polaroids shot that day (April 1st 1974) and at some point Ringo was also in attendance, though I'm unaware of any which show Ringo, John and Paul together at the same time.

As Moog pointed out, the final face to face meeting between John and Paul, despite a lack of photos, is well documented.

Or is it?

A meeting - received wisdom states it unequivocally to have been their last - took place on Sunday April 25th, 1976, when Paul dropped by at The Dakota with his guitar, keen to continue the fun vibe he and John had enjoyed together the previous evening. I'm sure we all know this was the infamous occasion when John wasn't in the mood for playtime again, and Paul felt a bit rebuffed. Although the two men supposedly never met up ever again they did enjoy friendly contact via telephone calls over subsequent years.

And yet...

rumours abound here and there of at least one further meeting between Lennon & McCartney anywhere between 1977 and 1980. I suppose I should at least mention, for example, that Geoffrey Giuliano (yes I know, I know) claimed that John, Paul, Yoko & Linda all went out to see the film "Pretty Baby" together. That movie was released in Spring 1978.

Tantalisingly, Paul's son James (born September 12th, 1977) is on record as saying: "I know John held me as a baby. Then I have memories of the Dakota building, very white, lots of sunlight pouring in." But the memory can play tricks and at the time John died James was only three and may be relying on a confused timeline relayed to him by his dad - not always the most reliable source for dates. I think Paul & Linda visited Yoko at The Dakota in 1981 and I suspect this is the memory James has.

But who knows? It could be argued there was more "fuss" to be had over potential meetings between John and Paul than would have arisen around a John and Ringo get together or a John and George reunion. The sheer significance of "Lennon & McCartney" together in the same room would always carry that extra layer of gravitas and it may be that Paul and John were more guarded in letting any notion of their getting together leak out. I have read that even now Paul remains a little cagey when pressed as to their last actual face to face encounter. Is he trying to hide something? I doubt it. Wishful thinking on the fans' part I reckon. But you never know....maybe one day a hidden stash of Linda's photos will surface and surprise us all!

Bobber

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 08:40:17 AM »

The colour picture of John and Paul is from May Pang's book, so I may presume that that picture was hers. I'm not sure about the b/w picture. It might have been taken by someone else as it's clearly a snapshot.

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
  • Oh, woe is me, and Mo am I.
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2016, 07:10:40 PM »

The interview of Ringo by Barbara Walters is very moving.
Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 58 queries.