Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: The mid-1960's  (Read 784 times)

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
The mid-1960's
« on: February 13, 2015, 12:35:32 AM »

In the rock music world, I reckon the mid-1960's as a period of time limited by two events related to the Beatles: "I Want To Hold Your Hand" opening the American door to the British Invasion at the beginning of 1964; and the release of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band in June 1967, changing rock music forever.

Some things that happened during that time:

1) Several highly important bands made their debut in UK: the Rolling Stones, the Who, the Kinks, the Zombies, the Yardbirds, Cream, etc.

2) New big name bands also appeared in US, especially in the west coast: the Byrds, Jefferson Airplane, the Doors, Love, Buffalo Springfield, etc.

3) Groups that already existed, like the Beach Boys and the same Beatles, did their biggest artistic steps in their careers.

4) Bob Dylan's got electrified.

5) Jimi Hendrix jumped to the scene as the consummation of the guitar hero.

6) Lots of all time classics were fresh on the air: "Can't Buy Me Love", "A Hard Day's Night", "Ticket To Ride", "Help!", "Yesterday", "Eleanor Rigby", "Strawberry Fields Forever", "Penny Lane", "I Get Around", "California Girls", "Good Vibrations", "Satisfaction", "Paint It Black", "Ruby Tuesday", "I Can't Explain", "My Generation", "Substitute", "Mr. Tambourine Man", "Turn! Turn! Turn!", "Eight Miles High", "You Really Got Me", "Sunny Afternoon", "Waterloo Sunset", "For Your Love", "Heart Full Of Soul", "Shapes Of Things", "Somebody To Love", "White Rabbit", "She's Not There", "For What It's Worth", "Light My Fire", "I Feel Free", "The Sound Of Silence"...

7) Albums started to be much more than a couple of hits and lots of fillers: Rubber Soul, Revolver, Pet Sounds, Mr. Tambourine Man, Surrealistic Pillow, The Doors, etc.

What more can you say about those terrific days?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 01:19:31 AM by Hombre_de_ningun_lugar »
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
Re: The mid-1960's
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 08:55:24 AM »

I was watching the remarkable 'Talking To A Stranger', a 4-part play transmitted in October 1966 in the U.K. the other day and, quite apart from what was happening in the worlds of The Beatles, The Stones, soul, Dylan etc. at the time, it suddenly occurred to me that that was the exact time that both The Pink Floyd started doing their light shows in Notting Hill and Hendrix came over to England.

Golden Age. Accept no substitute.

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 37 queries.