Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Imagine: Yoko and Macca slugging it out in the box  (Read 1399 times)

I am the Paulrus

• Getting Better
    • FAB 4 FORUM
Imagine: Yoko and Macca slugging it out in the box
« on: October 11, 2005, 07:34:49 PM »

Imagine: Yoko and Macca slugging it out in the boxing ring

Oct 11 2005

IN Part 2 of an exclusive interview with Yoko Ono, ECHO chief feature writer Paddy Shennan hears how John often felt in Paul McCartney's shadow

Liverpool Echo

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0800beatles/0050news/tm_objectid=16236480%26method=full%26siteid=50061%26headline=imagine%2d%2dyoko%2dand%2dmacca%2dslugging%2dit%2dout%2din%2dthe%2dboxing%2dring-name_page.html

JOHN Lennon's standing in the world - it seems today, 25 years after his death - could hardly be higher.

This is the man, for example, who, alongside the likes of winner Winston Churchill, William Shakespeare and Isaac Newton, made it into the top 10 in the BBC's much-discussed poll of 100 Great Britons.

"He would have been very happy about that," says Yoko.. "In his life, he was an incredibly good artist, but he felt he wasn't really appreciated. He didn't realise how well-loved he was."

Really ? Yoko explains: "As a Beatle he was extremely successful - he knew that. But he also knew that was a lot to do with Paul. Paul was the one who knew how to deal with the world and John was the poet.

"But when John was doing his individual work, I know he felt that people were not so much into his songs."

Imagine. Give Peace A Chance. Working Class Hero. Mind Games. Instant Karma! Gimme Some Truth. Jealous Guy. Power To The People.

And he still had self-doubt!? Incredible.

Yoko, herself, knows exactly what he was - and is still - worth. Speaking to me on what would have been John's 65th birthday, she says: "John stood for world peace and was the first musician to really speak out about the betterment of society. Everyone is doing it now - but remember, John started it!

"And he also showed that women were suffering. Today, I see all these guys in Central Park pushing prams but, after Sean was born, John was the only man doing that! Men now have much more interest in raising their children."

Still in touch with Paul and Ringo, Yoko?

"Yes, of course. We do business together with the Apple company."

And it's friendly business, too, she confirms, adding, regarding Paul, I imagine: "I think society wants to see us boxing in a ring!"

Blimey! Yoko Ono v Sir Paul McCartney. I know who my money would be on. No offence, Macca, but I reckon Yoko is one tough cookie. Perhaps if you brought Lady Heather along, too ...

But it's not going to happen. Things are friendly. Got it?

And then I go and spoil it all by bringing up that recent, highly amusing, episode when Paul suggested reversing song-writing credits on a few Beatles songs - so they'd be by McCartney and Lennon, as opposed to the traditional Lennon and McCartney.

Yoko rolls her eyes at the memory and then looks to the ceiling: "Oh my God, yes!" she remembers, seemingly with a mix of bemusement and horror.

"I felt he should have said that to John when he was alive. I think he knew John wouldn't like it. But that's all in the past."

Yoko says she was pleased that Paul quickly dropped the idea, while she is also keen to stress the strength and depth of the much-analysed relationship between John and Paul: "I think John was always feeling some love for Paul.

"They were so close, like brothers. And brothers don't always warm to each other; they tend to be critical."

I wondered whether Yoko would be as charitable about John's first wife, Cynthia, who's just written her second book about him.

She says: "I've not read the book yet, but I really wish her well. She had a very hard time, too. I'm sure it's a good book. I might get around to reading it, but I'm so busy."

I wasn't quite expecting that answer - and I wasn't expecting another one which soon followed.

John's killer, Mark Chapman, was denied parole a year ago but will be eligible for it again in another 12 months. Is the fear of his possible release something which is always at the back of your mind, Yoko?

"I'm so busy that I totally forget about it, until someone says 'Oh, it's this year now'. You have to start thinking about it, because it's next month or something."

I asked another question on the subject - perhaps I shouldn't have.

Some people feel Chapman remains unlikely to be released in the forseeable future. Does Yoko? "I don't want to even know about it. I don't know why you are asking this question. I really think it's horrible."

Point taken. Finally, does the woman who has maintained such a strong connection with Liverpool have a message for those Merseysiders who still love and miss her late husband?

"My message would be 'I love you. And we are on the same page'."

She adds: "I'm very happy that Liverpool loves John because I feel Liverpool and I are brothers - and I hope I can keep that connection going."

Happy birthday, John. The world's still thinking about you - and we're still proud of you.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
Re: Imagine: Yoko and Macca slugging it out in the box
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2005, 03:27:46 PM »

Blimey! Yoko Ono v Sir Paul McCartney. I know who my money would be on. No offence, Macca, but I reckon Yoko is one tough cookie. Perhaps if you brought Lady Heather along, too ...

Macca could beat that withered old hag with one hand tied behind his back.

I wondered whether Yoko would be as charitable about John's first wife, Cynthia, who's just written her second book about him.

She says: "I've not read the book yet, but I really wish her well. She had a very hard time, too. I'm sure it's a good book. I might get around to reading it, but I'm so busy."

She's had a hard time because of YOU, Yoko dear. ::)

That was a very annoying interview.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2005, 03:51:01 PM »

Quote from: I_am_the_Paulrus

"
Yoko, herself, knows exactly what he was - and is still - worth. Speaking to me on what would have been John's 65th birthday, she says: "John stood for world peace and was the first musician to really speak out about the betterment of society. Everyone is doing it now - but remember, John started it!

Ermm, Woody Guthrie, Dylan, a whole generation of 60's folk singers and god knows how many more. I think the first sentence sums it up
don't follow leaders

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2005, 12:58:00 AM »

Its a great example of believing your own hype/myth. Plus, December 8th will be a watershed for her, people will get sentimental and buy lots of John's CDs/DVDs.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2005, 07:48:53 PM »

I like what she said about John and Paul's relationship though. I mean, that John always felt love for Paul and that they were as close as brothers. I mean, I can't tell you how many times I have heard or read that they hated each other or John hated Paul or that they were never really that close in the first place by people who were not even there. I think Yoko must know a little something about it.

I think most of the folk singers who spoke out about things came around in the late 60's and early 70's. when everyone was doing it. I think John took it further. I think John did lead the way in that he was the MOST outspoken at the time and went to crazy extremes to prove his point. Dylan wrote about political things in his lryics in a  round about way, and John always said he was an influence on him. I don't know Woody Guthrie's history. People do seem to relate Lennon's name with peace and love though. I don't think was much of a political activist, but the rock stars nowadays who feel the need to be outspoken and involved always seem to get themselves compared to Lennon...not Dylan or Guthrie.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2005, 08:00:01 PM »

The thing about Bob was that he didn't go to peace rallies or hold bed-ins. He preferred to get his message across with the lyrics, whereas John was very much outspoken outside of his music. But Guthrie and Dylan did start it. John was influenced by Dylan, after all.
But anyways.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Page created in 0.34 seconds with 52 queries.