Solo forums > Microscopes

Microscope: London Town

<< < (2/7) > >>

Toejam:
A fine album for the most part.  The title track is almost sublime in it's ability to capture the mood and surreality of an everyday day maybe an everyday day smoking something illegal. Cafe on the left bank is a catchy rocker with a hint profundity that Sartre (whoever he is) himself would have appreciated. Backwards traveller is another big fat juicy melody with some cool lyrics but sadly it's only a short song. I'm carrying is nice but doesn't quite make it as a hidden Macca gem. The jam bit Cuff link is a pretty blatant rip off of Pink Floyd's Any colour you like but otherwise excellent. WALL is one of the irrisistible slow songs that seem to rock. My fav. track is Morse moose which I find very compelling. The rest aren't really very good and I only listen to this album as a playlist with the tracks I don't like edited out now.

glass onion:
'london town' is,i think,my favourite wings album on the whole.i really dig this album,although i do understand that others may find it ordinary.the band was one that was in transition again,with jimmy and joe bidding their farewells.i would hazard a guess that paul plays drums on a couple of tracks on the album;i would say it's definitely him drumming on 'with a little luck'.
the title track is nice,'cafe on the left bank' is very,very typical wings.'i'm carrying' is lovely,a little paul gem.'backwards traveller/cuff link' i really love,and i think 'girlfriend' is the absolute cracker on the album.i love the falsetto vocals and i think the lyrics are really top notch.a great love song.'with a little luck' is a big-hitter,'i've had enough' contains one of maccas' great vocals,very rocky.'name and address' is a top elvis rip-off although it's basically filler,but very good filler!!denny's songs are quite nice,i prefer 'children children' to 'deliver your children',i don't really rate the lyric about good eggs and hens.
mull of kintyre just around the corner,a lovely album from paul and the gang.who'd have thought they were on the final straight as a band?

Yeshelloitsmehereagain:
Band On The Run was built on the back of a crisis of sorts, this one was too. I think the 5 piece of Paul, Linda, Denny, Jimmy and Joe was and is the best line-up of Wings. They were together the longest and developed their sound alot more over the 3 or 4 years... Had massive hits, world tours etc... This album is the best showcase of Wings...

Review nine songs in.

tkitna:
I didnt get mine done either. It'll be a few days. Anxious to read yours Ollie.

Yeshelloitsmehereagain:
Anxious so you can blow it apart with yours?  ;D

Well mines mostly positive, but I think a couple of tunes coulda been given the chop, but even those offer alot of ideas... enthusiasm.

I'm looking forward to your review. Also the next two after it. Then can we agree to praise most of Tug Of War, damn Pipes Of Peace for being a mainly rubbish collection of B-sides and then love Press To Play for being the wonder that it is?  ;D

I got to tackle tracks 13 and 14 now. Wow.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version