Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Pattie Boyd's tell-all book coming in August  (Read 42175 times)

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
Re: Pattie Boyd's tell-all book coming in August
« Reply #80 on: June 23, 2008, 01:16:05 AM »

Okay, now I'm confused. Didn't I read on this very forum an excerpt from Pattie's book saying that she, Eric, and George used to play hide and seek in George and Pattie's house and she and Eric would just hide somewhere and fool around? Sounds like cheating to me! In George's house. Sounds very mature as well.  ::) And then I am sure that I heard on the radio after some dj read her book or Eric's book or someone's book that Pattie and John had an affair! And that John was sexually obsessed with her. I remember the dj being shocked at how much interbreeding was going on with that band.   ;D

Mr. Mustard

• A Beginning
« Reply #81 on: June 23, 2008, 02:37:20 AM »

I'm about three quarters through the book (now it's the mid-'80s and Pattie and Eric are nearly finished) and I recall nothing from Pattie's book in which hide and seek games were played where Pattie and Eric fooled around.  I'm curious about that post, Sandra.  Perhaps you could link me to it (I'm assuming it's on another thread.)  It could be a different book, though.  (Maybe Clapton's?)

And there's nothing in Pattie's book about any affair with John.  That's the first I've heard of that.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #82 on: June 23, 2008, 03:06:47 AM »

Here's the link to the post:

http://www.dmbeatles.com/forums/m-1112224769/s-28/highlight-hide+and+seek/#num28

I guess that's also where I read about Pattie and John. And apparently not only John was sexually obsessed with her but Mick Jagger was too! If this is all true. Who knows. If so, what the hell was it about that woman?? Was she really that hot? I mean, she was cute, but come on.

Mr. Mustard

• A Beginning
« Reply #83 on: June 23, 2008, 06:44:50 AM »

Just read the link.  It's so over the top with all the allegations that it appears that Pattie (if all of that stuff is true) STILL held back a ton of dirt from her book, even while everyone's suspecting her of spilling it all for big $$$.  In a way I give her credit for keeping stuff (whatever that stuff is) to herself.

And I'm wondering why Clapton wants to write a sanitized bio?  After all these years, Eric, just tell the whole f-ck-ng truth!  Who cares anymore?

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #84 on: June 23, 2008, 07:51:09 AM »

You know, I've been thinking...as over the top those allegations are, I would bet my life that they aren't half as outrageous as what actually happened. I mean, that life style is not something any of us will ever be able to comprehend. So I would actually expect her to hold back because otherwise she just would not come off looking very good to the rest of us regular people.

Sometimes though, I think it's better. I mean, half the time this stuff just creeps me out. Like when Marianne Faithfull told of a time when she and Mick were having sex and Mick told her he wished he were bleeping Keith. I just do NOT need to know this stuff. Although that is kind of fascinating because I think he meant it in a different way. But who knows. Again, these people are in another reality. Sorry to digress...
 :)

DarkSweetLady

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #85 on: June 23, 2008, 12:21:00 PM »

Overall, I didn't like the book. I didn't even ask for it,I got itas a gift and decided to read it,  I thought, what the heck, right?

While reading it, mostly during the trouble time in the 70's, it almost seemed to me that it sounded like George was the only one doing something wrong. And whether George actually cheated or not, because who really knows now, no one can ask him, she never reallly said things she did wrong. And most likely or not when your in a stressful relationship like that one, with all those other men around, ya sure you stayed faithful. According to her book, it was all George's fault.

I don't see the point in writing a "tell all" auto-biography, then leave most of the topics nearly undisccused and vague. With a one side narrow view on all the topics that occur in the book.

As far as her looks, I'm not a mean person so I'm not going to makefun of the way she looks, but it isn't good. But she never was really pretty to me, but that's just my opinion.

~the guiding light in all your love shines on~

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #86 on: June 23, 2008, 08:11:11 PM »

Well, George might have been unfaithful to her, i admit that. Being a rockstar, beset by girls on tours, being young...as John, Paul and Ringo did to their girls. It was such a life, smoking, drinking, fooling around. Remember, it was the time of sexual revolution, free love was proclaimed, love, peace, drugs...But he wasn`t going to leave her. Yes, he was obsessed with Krishnas and so on, he was such a man. You love him or leave him. She just didn`t love him, she loved herself and loved being the centre of men`s attention. I agree that she wasn`t that beautiful, but for some reason they, as you write, all wanted her, not Jane, who was maybe more beautiful. Because men always feel it when a woman wants it. And she provoked them. So! She didn`t love George. Now don`t ever expect her to tell the truth. Nevertheless we can admire her for her female charm and ability to conquer any man she wanted. Bravo!

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #87 on: June 23, 2008, 11:09:18 PM »

These bios by the stars are so "homogenized" it ain't funny!!!!  Come on!!!!  Over half the people during their "era" are dead, and the ones living, they're all in their 60's...........so "spill it" and tell all the dirty, "true" stories of the day and your life.  If I were in their shoes, I would have kept a diary of my day-to-day events and just take that and go from there in writing a book.  And it would probably be pretty "sorid"..............

DarkSweetLady

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #88 on: June 24, 2008, 12:07:35 AM »

I agree that it is highly possible that George was unfaithful to her. I also agree with you , Jane, that even though Jane Asher may have been prettier, some people just have something that drive men crazy.

I don't believe everything in her book is true. I don't really believe her at all.

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #89 on: June 25, 2008, 06:48:17 PM »

If their marriage didn`t work, it couldn`t have been only George`s fault as she writes. And she was such a poor abandoned suffering little girl! Every man wanted her, all of them. But George didn`t. He didn`t pay attention to her, he didn`t speak to her, he turned his back on her. What was wrong with him? Doesn`t it sound strange? All men were driven to her, wrote passionate letters to her, but not George. He was not attracted to her. No longer. Can`t you see that this is all lies. If she was so charming, he certainly was in love. She was doing wrong things and he withdrew within himself, found comfort in something else, being a philosophically-minded person, calm and not a cruel one, who ignored his wife. I read in a magazine that he just asked her to leave, cause he couldn`t stand it any longer. And that sounds true, just like George: no rows, no scandals or showdowns. Remember his quarrel with Paul or John at one session working at the last album. That is what George was like. His reserve was the consequence not the cause of her behaviour. Think about it.

Mr. Mustard

• A Beginning
« Reply #90 on: June 25, 2008, 08:15:17 PM »

Jane, you seem to have a lot of anger towards Pattie.

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #91 on: June 25, 2008, 08:45:58 PM »

Sorry, if it seemed like that. I am trying to defend George, who didn`t say a single bad word about her. No anger.

Mr. Mustard

• A Beginning
« Reply #92 on: June 26, 2008, 12:01:47 AM »

I don't think Pattie said anything really bad about George either; she even admits that by the end of her marriage to Clapton, she realized that while Eric was her fun, passionate 'playmate,' George was her soul mate.  She described things that happened in her marriage, things that she was guilty of, things that George was guilty of. It wasn't really a hatchet piece on George.  Clapton comes off looking worse than George does.

DarkSweetLady

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #93 on: June 26, 2008, 01:06:37 AM »

I think Pattie was a little full of herself, all that so called attention gave her a big head!

I agree with you Jane, it isn't like George to have big, angry fights and showdowns. Like the Let It Be fight, when Paul is telling George he is playing the guitar part wrong ,what was George's response? A simple, I'll play what you want me to play or I won't play at all. Hardly seems like the type of person who'd have big fights with his wife.

As far as her admitting that George was her "soul mate" is a piece of crap. George seemed far more happier married to Olivia, then married to Pattie, and I think if he had to choose one as a soul mate it would be Liv.
I think she just said that because she bowed out of their marriage, and now where is she at?

I agree with you Jane that George probably didn't say a bad word to her, or about her.
But it is possible for men to resist her or fall out of love with her, as George has proved. Maybe it was just a little too hard for her to wrap her head around, so she left because she wasn't the center of attention in their home anymroe.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #94 on: June 26, 2008, 02:11:13 AM »

Great discussion! Sorry to come in so late.

I needed some time to process this book after I read it, because I was very confused. As DSL said above, Pattie doesn't really describe anything-- not anything important. Being a reading fanatic, I've done a lot of research, and Pattie's book, as far as George is concerned, did not cover (if you can  call her shallow recitation of events "covering" something) one single event that wasn't already published. Maureen's affair? It's in that hideous "The Love You Make" book by Peter Brown. The Tahiti vacation? All covered by their skipper or cook. Etc. etc. In fact, so many of Pattie's stories so closely resemble their printed precursors, it's as if she looked over her file of press clippings and wrote her life story based on that, not her actual memories.

I could blame drugs on this total failure of memory, but I have a theory I prefer. Pattie is still friends with many of the rock people in her book. I can imagine her saying to them, "I'm not really writing a tell-all. I'm just collecting already published facts about my life and republishing them so I can get some money from it. I won't betray any secrets." So she writes a book trying to keep faith with her buddies, so she can pretend she adhered to her reputation as the Beatle wife who never "told" (although Jane Asher has that spot sewn up nicely-- and she's a class act to boot). By trying to keep faith with her "in" crowd, Pattie wrote this shallow, unsatisfying, and lopsided story that is bereft of all heart. The only parts that sound genuine are the parts of her childhood pre-George, and how she belatedly realized at age 50 that life wasn't one huge party. Neither of these are particularly gripping subjects. She attempted to write a book that revealed nothing-- no wonder we're all puzzled or bothered by it.

She also doesn't tell the full story. She says how she "knew" that George was cheating with Krissie Wood under her own roof-- ah, the betrayal! The heartbreak! She doesn't tell us why she thinks this, only that she "knows". Ronnie Wood was not so cagey in his autobiography. He wrote that he and George decided to swap wives for the evening. Everyone was doing it, so that's what they decided to do. Ronnie writes it like a dare. There they are in the hall, hands on doorknobs of the rooms containing the other man's wife. "I'll see you in court," says George, and goes in. So how Pattie "knew" that George was cheating on her was because she spent the night with Ronnie. Notice, she did not go into the other room to confront George about his behavior. She slept with Ronnie-- a tiny detail she omits in her own retelling.  

For my part, I think I'm closest to Jane in my thinking. Pattie was and is charming-- some people have posted clips of her recently at book signings and talks, and she's witty and sweet. There's a charisma there. Personally I think she used it to draw in George because he could boost her career-- something she acted shocked to discover. "I never asked for this!" Please. I think she was fond of him in her way, but she was always looking out for #1. She didn't leave him until it was obvious that Eric would take her. Why get rid of your meal ticket until you have a new one? 1974 was a sh*t year for George. His Bangladesh buzz had dissipated and he put out the 2 weakest albums of his career. Eric's star was riding high. It was time to switch teams to the winning horse-- someone who, although an alcoholic, was more popular at the time and would fulfill her desire to be "seen". He also knew how to "party"-- this being high on Pattie's list until her 50th year, as she stated herself. Boring old George was just trying to pull his life together. Who wants to stick around for that?

Of course I don't really know Pattie, and her ridiculously inadequate biography didn't help me to know her any better. Based on what crumbs she does throw me, and putting it together with additional articles and biographies published at the time, I think she was basically a self-centered person who was clever enough to use her looks to her material advantage. I do not believe George was her soulmate, although I can see how she might look fondly back on that period of her life. Clearly she was unhappy with grown-up non-party George. George had a knack of staying friends with most people, and I believe they did become friendly again after the pain of divorce had cooled. But Liv wins the George soulmate award hands-down in my book. I also like that George fell in love with her over the phone. They had long conversations before they ever met. Perhaps after his bitter experience with Pattie-- that a pretty girl might turn out to be someone that, for whatever reason, you can't make it work with-- he opted for a woman who understood him first. It was just his good luck that she turned out to be so pretty.  

Sorry for the long post. I never did follow up on this, and I meant to. Debate is welcome! Cheers.
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

BlueMeanie

« Reply #95 on: June 26, 2008, 03:41:28 AM »

Quote from: 1393
If their marriage didn`t work, it couldn`t have been only George`s fault as she writes. And she was such a poor abandoned suffering little girl! Every man wanted her, all of them. But George didn`t. He didn`t pay attention to her, he didn`t speak to her, he turned his back on her. What was wrong with him? Doesn`t it sound strange? All men were driven to her, wrote passionate letters to her, but not George. He was not attracted to her. No longer. Can`t you see that this is all lies. If she was so charming, he certainly was in love. She was doing wrong things and he withdrew within himself, found comfort in something else, being a philosophically-minded person, calm and not a cruel one, who ignored his wife. I read in a magazine that he just asked her to leave, cause he couldn`t stand it any longer. And that sounds true, just like George: no rows, no scandals or showdowns. Remember his quarrel with Paul or John at one session working at the last album. That is what George was like. His reserve was the consequence not the cause of her behaviour. Think about it.

Jane, you really do seem to be privvy to knowledge that the rest of us aren't. Just because you put George on a pedestal doesn't mean that he couldn't be the bad boy here. I wasn't there, so I don't know what happened, and frankly I don't care. But your view that it couldn't be George's fault, just because it's George, is the stuff of a 13 year old in love with their idol.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #96 on: June 26, 2008, 08:15:54 AM »

Quote from: 668
I agree with you Jane, it isn't like George to have big, angry fights and showdowns. Like the Let It Be fight, when Paul is telling George he is playing the guitar part wrong ,what was George's response? A simple, I'll play what you want me to play or I won't play at all. Hardly seems like the type of person who'd have big fights with his wife.

i think to assume to be able to judge a mans character or behaviour in extreme circumstances based on a segment of a movie that he has allowed you to see is a bit unwise.
This to me is like the McCartney-Mills thing. I'm not in either case saying that I automatically believe the women's stories, but neither am I prepared to call them liars just because I own a few records made by the men involved. The truth, as normal, probably lays somewhere in the middle.
don't follow leaders

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #97 on: June 26, 2008, 08:27:17 PM »

You are all right in your own Write. The fact is that George was a much deeper person than Pattie. I think he understood and knew her well, and maybe saw that she was no longer pleased with her life. As harihead writes Eric`s career was high and George`s hit the bottom, why not take the chance, while it is here? Besides they turned out to be different people, nothing to share. While the career was ok, Pattie pretended to love George, when it was not she suddenly grew lonely. The climate at home depends on the woman but she didn`t try to cheer him up or to stand by him. She decided to leave him, I am sure that was a shock to George. Love at first sight NEVER dies! But being a reasonable person he accepted the truth that she NEVER loved him. So she went away to party, to celebrate, to go on a spree with Eric.   BLUEMEANIE, i am not 13 years old, but i wonder how you who is not 13 years old, as you hint, let her pull your leg! maybe you are in love with your idol? I don`t put George on a pedestal ( and why don`t I?) and now will try to imagine that George was indifferent, sullen guy who didn`t care about his wife. So he was the bad boy there. I agree with you.

DarkSweetLady

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #98 on: June 26, 2008, 11:53:01 PM »

I understand what you mean ,Kevin, that is a bad assumption to make of George based on one movie. What I meant to say is, I think if George was really a "fighter" like Pattie portrayed him, what better person to get under your skin and make you blow up than Paul McCartney at the end of the Beatles rope when everyone seemed agitated.

It's fine that you came in late HariHead, you brought up some very good points.

I agree with you when you said that Pattie viewed George almost as someone just to help her career. Because she did only go with Eric when she was certainly sure that George was more interested in his spiritual journey and gardening than putting out #1 hits and partying.
And she leaves things so vague, I didn't really get any more information than I already knew.

Not that I don't believe that George didn't do things that might have pushed Pattie a little bit easier to leave, but I highly doubt it was the way she portrayed. Something is a little wrong.

And like I said before I think she just released the book and portrayed herself in a decent way and as George's soulmate( after his death) was just a way to get a little money in her pocket.

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #99 on: June 27, 2008, 07:40:18 PM »

George was really a decent fellow, maybe the most decent of all.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Page created in 0.508 seconds with 81 queries.