Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Bob Marley  (Read 4352 times)

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
Re: Bob Marley
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2005, 06:17:47 AM »

I gotta say Bob is up there in the scheme of music. His lyrics are often at biblical proportions, with great humankind sentiments. His use of Rhodes, hammond and the reggae thing has made him a very influential artist all around the world. He is almost as popular an icon as Lennon in terms of 'posters on the wall' and 'political message' in the UK and possibly Europe.
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

Lenny Pane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2005, 06:30:35 AM »

Quote from: juniorsfarm
Man, just because the ganja is part of the Rasta culture, doesn't make it stoner music. .

hahahahah roflmfgdao omfg.. i cannot believe i just read that  :o

Marley = stoner music dood .. how you can sit there and type what you just said is ludicrous.. no matter what culture you come from ..  smoking pot and listening to marley is like having a cup of tea and a cigerette.. even better on a sunny afternoon with a few beers ... how can so many people be wrong..... and my question is .. have you JF ever been a long term pot or weed smoker and sat down and listen to some marley ? my guess is that you havent...............................................................

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2005, 06:35:22 AM »

Dude, Marley reaches people on different levels. You don't have to be stoned to dig his music. The whole Jamaican ganga thing is a stereotype. But yeah, you can lite up and enjoy his music. Just like you can with any other bands of that era. BTW, what time is it there??? I'm trying to figure out if it's a 7 hour or 8 hour difference.

Lenny Pane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2005, 06:39:24 AM »

its 6:30am sandra..

well it seems that everyone has their opinions on this .. so im not gonna get into a debate about it .. :)

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2005, 06:46:43 AM »

Thanks. 7 hours then. Yeah, everyone's got their opinions. I think it's cool to debate, but not argue. I see what you mean about Marley's music. It sort of gives out that vibe. (kinda like Floyd) I don't mean to contradict you or anything. Just saying what I think. I listen to Marley all the time when I'm straight that's all.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2005, 08:18:17 AM »

Man, just because the ganja is part of the Rasta culture, doesn't make it stoner music. .

To say you have to be stoned to listen to Marley is rubbish.
It works just as good on pills :)
don't follow leaders

TurnMeOnDeadman

• A Thousand Pages
  • Creme Tangerine
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2005, 02:38:30 PM »

Redemption Songs and Jammin are my favorite Bob songs...Roots,Rock,Reggae isawesome too

mih ssim mih ssim ,won daed si luap

"LSD is a drug made famous by John Lennon and Paul Mccartney"
 &nb

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2005, 03:39:58 PM »

I don't smoke pot anymore, but I used to smoke for many many years. Didn't need reggae to enjoy my buzz. You don't need to be high to listen to Bob Marley, that's just your pinheadedness. What I said isn't ludicrous, maybe to a an idiot like you. Do you have to drink Jack Daniels to listen to Sinatra? No. Or rum to listen to Jimmy Buffet? No. You are a sheep.

Sorry, but can't some of you guys disagree without turning nasty. I don't want to be on a site where all we say is how nice The Beatles are.
But we needs some Rules of Engagement. I like a good discussion, but not if they turn out like this.
don't follow leaders

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2005, 03:43:08 PM »

Quote from: Mr_Kite

hahahahah roflmfgdao omfg.. i cannot believe i just read that

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2005, 04:24:29 PM »

Who's Jimmy Buffet???
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2005, 05:18:20 PM »

Quote from: An_Apple_Beatle
Who's Jimmy Buffet???

I think he fell off a Cliff
don't follow leaders

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
    • Phoebe Claire Publishing, LLC
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2005, 12:05:28 AM »

"In my Life" isn't even the best song John Lennon wrote--I don't know why it won that stupid poll.  "No Woman No Cry" is a superior song because it's more resonant--more particular images (black wood burning through the night, govt yard at Trenchtown, etc.).  "In my life" is frustratingly general (places I remember, etc.).  Why not just name them?  For what it's worth, I think Van Morrison's whole album "Astral Weeks" does this better than "In my life" or "No woman no cry".

You can still love and admire the Beatles without thinking that every song of theirs is better than everyone else's.  

Because there's no competition, really.  That's one thing that intrigues me about these boards and the beatle-fans.  How exclusive and protective and fanatic the posters can be.  Why do the Beatles elicit this kind of idolatry?  

TurnMeOnDeadman

• A Thousand Pages
  • Creme Tangerine
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2005, 03:16:55 AM »

In My Life is 100Xs better

mih ssim mih ssim ,won daed si luap

"LSD is a drug made famous by John Lennon and Paul Mccartney"
 &nb

« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2005, 03:36:22 AM »

Quote from: adamzero

You can still love and admire the Beatles without thinking that every song of theirs is better than everyone else's.

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
    • Phoebe Claire Publishing, LLC
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2005, 10:59:10 PM »

Good point, Junior.  I guess my real beef is with that poll not with any of the songs.  I prefer "Penny Lane" "Strawberry Fields" as songs to "In My Life" which has a beautiful melody and a great vocals but less evocative lyrics.  I like your comparison of color to b-w, maybe that's the best way to think of the difference.  

I think people see "In My Life" as the pinnacle of the Beatles youth and initial artistic growth or something.  I just can't figure out why it won that poll (was it Q or Mojo or Rolling Stone?)

I don't think Beatles fans are sheep--not the ones of this site anyway.  More like sheepdogs.  

« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2005, 05:45:08 AM »

That's the problem with the polls people post, there's only a handful of songs or albums or whatever, and like you, they usually don't include the one that I would have chosen, they're pretty limited.
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.254 seconds with 74 queries.