Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Is Paul McCartney Too Old to Perform?  (Read 17400 times)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Re: Is Paul McCartney Too Old to Perform?
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2011, 04:56:56 AM »

Well, if I went to a Paul's show, I'd only want to listen to Beatles songs. And maybe "Maybe I'm Amazed" too.

Well then you would love Paul in concert because thats practically what your getting.

I'd rather hear no Beatle songs and no radio friendly hits.

Bobber

« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2011, 08:15:29 AM »

Would he attract the same crowds? And you've been to McCartney concerts more than once, so I can imagine you want to hear the more unknown songs. But there are tons of people who come to see McCartney for the first or second time and really want to hear him sing the Beatles songs.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2011, 09:01:49 AM »

I know. I'm just talking about my personal preference. I know its not realistic, but one must have a dream.

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2011, 02:46:47 PM »

I am with tkitna here... I have seen McCartney three times and would love to hear him do stuff that he has never played.

I want to hear a little Beatles. I like that he has put in some rarities, (Blackbird, Michelle). I am going to hear Paul McCartney, I am not going to hear one member of a band that can not exist any more.

When you go to a Sting concert, you hear a couple Police songs...maybe. When the Police reunited and toured you didn't hear Sting songs.

McCartney should play McCartney/Wings songs peppered with a few Beatles songs. His solo career has been so much longer than the Beatles were together.
And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2011, 03:46:05 PM »

Well then you would love Paul in concert because thats practically what your getting.

I'm talking from my point of view since I'm not a Paul's fan as I'm a Beatles fan. Anyway, I'm not interested in watching a Paul's show, whether he plays Beatles songs or not, at least at the price it is.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2011, 03:06:04 PM »

I'm talking from my point of view since I'm not a Paul's fan as I'm a Beatles fan. Anyway, I'm not interested in watching a Paul's show, whether he plays Beatles songs or not, at least at the price it is.

Paul McCartney's concerts these days are so Beatle heavy that he's basically his own tribute band to his time with The Beatles. He has been a solo artist for over 40 years and yet he still plays the same Beatle songs to please the fans who are Beatle fans, not Paul McCartney fans. That's sad.

If you go to a Macca gig, you should be a fan of his solo career and not just of his time with the Beatles.

HeyJude18

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Love and Peace are eternal" - John Lennon
    • le blog
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2011, 03:12:40 PM »

^ Hafta agree there.  When I saw Paul last summer it was a very heavy Beatles set (not gonna lie, loved every minute of it though).  But the man played for a good 3 hours!  I don't care if his voice isn't as good as it used to be, I don't care that his set-list wasn't as evenly distributed over his entire career as it could be, all I care about is I saw Paul McCartney and it was possibly the most moving concert I've ever seen.  Hey Jude and Mull of Kintyre blew my mind... *shrugs*  I don't think it's a too old as a focusing on one part of a career

RAIN-ed on: July 17, 2010; STARR-strucked: July 23, 2010; PAUL-inated: August 8, 2010

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2011, 03:49:07 PM »

If you go to a Macca gig, you should be a fan of his solo career and not just of his time with the Beatles.

I like most stuff Paul did during the 70's, but I never cared about what he did after Wings. But I'm mostly a 60's fan than a John, Paul, George and Ringo fan. The Beatles are my very favourite band, but mine is not a blind devotion, I prefer several other 60's groups over their solo careers.

7 of 13

• Getting Better
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2011, 12:55:55 AM »

i saw the san francisco show on Macca's last tour, but i was outside the venue the whole time. anyway Macca rocked the house, his version of georges something is un-flunky-real.

san francisco set list

Venus and Mars
Rock Show
Jet
All My Loving
Letting Go
Got to Get You Into My Life
Highway
Let Me Roll It
Foxy Lady
The Long and Winding Road
Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five
Let 'Em In
My Love
I'm Looking Through You
Two of Us
BlackBird
Mrs Vanderbilt
San Francisco Bay Blues
Eleanor Rigby
Ram On
Something
Sing the Changes
Band on the Run
ObLaDi ObLaDa
Back in the USSR
I've Got a Feeling
Paperback Writer
A Day in the Life
Give Peace a Chance
Let it Be
Live and Let Die
Hey Jude
Day Tripper
Lady Madonna
Get Back
Yesterday
Helter Skelter
Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band
The End
day tripper yeah

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2011, 05:26:55 PM »

san francisco set list

Venus and Mars
Rock Show
Jet
All My Loving
Letting Go
Got to Get You Into My Life
Highway
Let Me Roll It
Foxy Lady
The Long and Winding Road
Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five
Let 'Em In
My Love
I'm Looking Through You
Two of Us
BlackBird
Mrs Vanderbilt
San Francisco Bay Blues
Eleanor Rigby
Ram On
Something
Sing the Changes
Band on the Run
ObLaDi ObLaDa
Back in the USSR
I've Got a Feeling
Paperback Writer
A Day in the Life
Give Peace a Chance
Let it Be
Live and Let Die
Hey Jude
Day Tripper
Lady Madonna
Get Back
Yesterday
Helter Skelter
Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band
The End

22 out of 37 are Beatles

That is 17 that are Paul or other songs. 12 that are his solo songs. Isn't he proud of his own songs?
And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2011, 08:55:19 PM »

The Beatles songs are his own songs too, and most songs from that list were written by him, as you know. I don't see why he should do a separation.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 09:38:15 PM by Hombre_de_ningun_lugar »

7 of 13

• Getting Better
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2011, 09:23:04 PM »

The Beatles songs are his own songs too, and most songs from that list were writen by him, as you know. I don't see why he should do a separation.
same here. also if people don't get and/or like his beatles stuff, then they won't get and/or like his solo stuff, so why bother.

this part of the concert was magical. he rocks Back in the USSR maximum hard.

Sing the Changes
Band on the Run
ObLaDi ObLaDa
Back in the USSR
I've Got a Feeling
Paperback Writer
A Day in the Life
day tripper yeah

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2011, 12:23:22 AM »

Isn't he proud of his own songs?

I should have said, "Isn't he proud of his solo songs?"

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2011, 01:39:27 AM »

Now I see your point, and well, most artists did their best material at their 20's, didn't they?

7 of 13

• Getting Better
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2011, 03:21:28 AM »

well sure he must be. and Macca has been touring for years, it must be a fine balance to strike with hardcore fans.
day tripper yeah

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2011, 04:55:06 AM »

As we have discussed, there just are so many good songs that he doesn't play. He can only play for so long on stage and he feels that his "fans" want to hear Beatles songs. In 1975/6 he was reluctant to play any Beatles songs (he played, "I've Just Seen A Face", "Blackbird", and "Yesterday") now he plays two of those songs and many more. I wouldn't want him to ignore his Beatles past, but I think it is sad that he doesn't feel confident, good (or whatever other adjective fits) to play his much more of his solo/Wings songs. He has had a 41 year solo career and a 8 year Beatles career and his shows are 60% Beatles. This doesn't seem right to me. As I stated in an earlier post, when I go see Paul, I am not going to see the Beatles (minus John, George and Ringo), I am going to see PAUL McCARTNEY. I love hearing Paul songs. I admire what he has done. His catalog is awesome. That is why I call myself a fan. My fandom started as the Beatles. The Beatles no longer exist. It is just great that I can go and see a musician that used to be in the greatest band ever, and his name is Paul McCartney. That Paul McCartney has had a career that stands on it's own.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2011, 02:38:59 PM »

The point is that he had a 41 years solo career, but the last 31 years of that career weren't as good as the the first 10 years, and he knows it. He's mostly known by what he did with the Beatles and in a minor scale by what he did in the 70's. And that's how it is with every artist, they have a high time for a period of time and then they only keep the diehard fans; and Paul had a quite long high time. He's human, after all.

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2011, 04:35:06 PM »

I will agree with you Hombre to some degree. I agree that he is more known for what he did with the Beatles than anything else. I don't think that you can only limit his good work to the first ten years of his solo career. I think 'Flowers In The Dirt', and 'Chaos And Creation In The Backyard' are as good as anything that he did in the '70s. Then I like his classical works. I think 'Standing Stone' is an excellent piece of music.

I just think that music is in such a state that many people just want the instant gratification that popular "hits" gives them. Nobody has the interest in exploring deeper music. This is such a shame, as so many are missing out.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2011, 05:19:46 PM »

Of course, some later work can be considered as good as his earlier stuff, but I'm talking about a continuity of quality, there's a point for every artist when they can't make one great album after another great album anymore.

But it's true that most people just care about the hits, and that's certainly a shame. I guess Paul knows that he's playing for new generations who have never seen him live and wants to give them the classic hits.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 05:24:41 PM by Hombre_de_ningun_lugar »

7 of 13

• Getting Better
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2011, 05:20:37 PM »

As we have discussed, there just are so many good songs that he doesn't play. He can only play for so long on stage and he feels that his "fans" want to hear Beatles songs. In 1975/6 he was reluctant to play any Beatles songs (he played, "I've Just Seen A Face", "Blackbird", and "Yesterday") now he plays two of those songs and many more.
yeah i can remember when it was the other way around, people would complain about Macca not playing enough beatlesongs and too much solo stuff.

Paul McCartney - Flowers In The Dirt Commercial
day tripper yeah
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Page created in 0.976 seconds with 85 queries.