Beatles forums > The Beatles

Things the Beatles were beaten

<< < (2/19) > >>

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar:

--- Quote from: 7 of 13 on April 07, 2011, 04:37:43 PM ---it's my opinion that you are totally in thee dark on this one Hombre.. everybody was copying the beatles, exception here is the yardbirds and they were an hardcore blues band, with frequent member rotations and changes. as for eight miles high it sounds like they are copying the who there, if anything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m4r17DFQLM

--- End quote ---

Well, I think that both "Shapes Of Things" and "Eight Miles High" are the founders of psychedelia. Of course the Byrds and even the Yardbirds were heavily influenced by the Beatles, but they influenced the Beatles as well. Without Mr. Tambourine Man we wouldn't have had Rubber Soul, four instance. And "Rain", the first pyschedelic Beatles song released, sounds pretty much like "Shapes Of Things"; I think it's no coincidence that "Shapes" was released in March 1966 and "Rain" was recorded in April that same year.

About "Eight Miles High" being a copy of the Who, I can't see how. The big point of that song is the random guitar playing, inspired by Coltrane; the keyboard solo in the Zombies' "She's Not There" (from 1964) may have been an inspiration too.

tkitna:
Honestly, the Beatles probably werent first at anything. They just had the luxury of being extremely popular and people noticed their stuff before others got credit. Thats how I feel anyways.

Gary910:

--- Quote from: tkitna on April 07, 2011, 11:39:06 PM ---Honestly, the Beatles probably werent first at anything.

--- End quote ---

I couldn't disagree more. They were first at a few things. True, on some things they were the first to be recognized.

Hello Goodbye:

--- Quote from: Gary910 on April 07, 2011, 11:51:38 PM ---I couldn't disagree more. They were first at a few things.

--- End quote ---

They just put it around that they were the first at a few things.

;D

7 of 13:

--- Quote from: Hombre_de_ningun_lugar on April 07, 2011, 05:51:08 PM ---Well, I think that both "Shapes Of Things" and "Eight Miles High" are the founders of psychedelia. Of course the Byrds and even the Yardbirds were heavily influenced by the Beatles, but they influenced the Beatles as well. Without Mr. Tambourine Man we wouldn't have had Rubber Soul, four instance. And "Rain", the first pyschedelic Beatles song released, sounds pretty much like "Shapes Of Things"; I think it's no coincidence that "Shapes" was released in March 1966 and "Rain" was recorded in April that same year.

About "Eight Miles High" being a copy of the Who, I can't see how. The big point of that song is the random guitar playing, inspired by Coltrane; the keyboard solo in the Zombies' "She's Not There" (from 1964) may have been an inspiration too.

--- End quote ---
sorry Hombre, but i tend to disagree. eight miles high was written after eight days a week, the byrds went out of their way and copied the beatles just like everyone else did in those days. i'm not saying that that is a bad thing.. as for the origins of psychedelia, beyond that that term is poorly defined... i would look to the folk rock and acid rock bands out of san franscisco during that time frame, think about the free speech movement and flower power.

;yes

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version