Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: John singing "shoot me" over & over  (Read 10634 times)

John singing "shoot me" over & over
« on: October 13, 2007, 09:23:29 PM »

repeatedly in "Come Together"--I always found this stunningly and hauntingly prophetic. :'(

did he have a premonition as early as 1969 ??..or was this just the blackest kind of coincidence. Gives me chills & regrets.

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
Re: John singing "shoot me" over & over
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 10:47:54 PM »

I know what you mean.

Also, I noticed recently how prophetic-sounding that line from "Good Morning, Good Morning" is:

"Nothing to do to save his life, call his wife in".

THAT is scary.
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 03:35:16 AM »

According to many biographers, John frequently talked about death. You can hear it in interviews as early as 1964 (at least, that I'm sure of). For example, during one of their Australian press conferences in '64, when a reporter had commented on how alert the boys had looked while waving to the crowd. "You're really looking at the people, aren't you? You're very aware of everything around you."

John had answered in his typical blunt style. "I think you've got to be. You might get shot."

And of course all the reporters chuckled at this witty comeback. You can watch it yourself here:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x5UUQM2Qy4" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x5UUQM2Qy4</a>

The thing is, I don't think it was a premonition so much as a preoccupation, perhaps because of John's own war with his ego, the common youthful fascination with death, or perhaps looking at the example of famous, charismatic people around him who were murdered (JFK, King, Bobbie). His own fame made him a target. The Beatles received death threats routinely, which would reinforce his perception that he could be murdered at any time.
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

BlueMeanie

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 09:16:28 AM »

Quote from: 829
repeatedly in "Come Together"--I always found this stunningly and hauntingly prophetic. :'(

did he have a premonition as early as 1969 ??..or was this just the blackest kind of coincidence. Gives me chills & regrets.

Well he doesn't say it on the original, so you mean on Anthology 3? Forgive me but, isn't 'shoot' (he doesn't say 'shoot me') just an Americanism for 'go', or 'now', or 'start' or some such? I never found anything sinister about it at all.

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 10:52:02 AM »

john was told by a psychic that he would be shot to death....i think it was around the time of help...so he was preoccupied...
i'll see if i can find the story...

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007, 11:06:34 AM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9P0fRYSn-s&amp;NR" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9P0fRYSn-s&amp;NR</a>
i thought it was earlier than this but maybe this was it..
http://www.healthynewage.com/John_Lennon.htm

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2007, 08:31:43 PM »

Quote from: 568
I know what you mean.

Also, I noticed recently how prophetic-sounding that line from "Good Morning, Good Morning" is:

THAT is scary.

YEAH !! thanks for reminding me of that one--and THAT one's even earlier in '67. I swear, there's spooky stuff going on with The Beatles from the get go. Not to mention all the fake Paul is dead garbage, the stuff about John is real alarming when you think about it (which I usually dont)

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2007, 08:34:34 PM »

Quote from: 483

Well he doesn't say it on the original, so you mean on Anthology 3? Forgive me but, isn't 'shoot' (he doesn't say 'shoot me') just an Americanism for 'go', or 'now', or 'start' or some such? I never found anything sinister about it at all.

nope, heard shoot me. Lot of friends alerted me to this, I didnt come up w/ it.

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2007, 10:08:56 PM »

Quote from: 551
According to many biographers, John frequently talked about death. You can hear it in interviews as early as 1964 (at least, that I'm sure of). For example, during one of their Australian press conferences in '64, when a reporter had commented on how alert the boys had looked while waving to the crowd. "You're really looking at the people, aren't you? You're very aware of everything around you."

John had answered in his typical blunt style. "I think you've got to be. You might get shot."

And of course all the reporters chuckled at this witty comeback. You can watch it yourself here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x5UUQM2Qy4  It's a fun watch from the beginning, but if you want to cut to the chase, it's at 5:50. Are you from Australia, Hari?
The thing is, I don't think it was a premonition so much as a preoccupation, perhaps because of John's own war with his ego, the common youthful fascination with death, or perhaps looking at the example of famous, charismatic people around him who were murdered (JFK, King, Bobbie). His own fame made him a target. The Beatles received death threats routinely, which would reinforce his perception that he could be murdered at any time.

I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2007, 10:11:22 PM »

Quote from: 829

I've read this lots of time, I have to admit every time I've listened, I've only heard the "shoot", never the "me". Though this is more than I used to hear, I used to think he was just saying "Shhh".

I wonder if it depends what version of the song one listens to?
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2007, 11:35:39 PM »

I've read this lots of time, I have to admit every time I've listened, I've only heard the "shoot", never the "me". Though this is more than I used to hear, I used to think he was just saying "Shhh".

I wonder if it depends what version of the song one listens to?

Yes this is very true. For years, w/ the old analog version of "Come Together" on the Apple single AND as the lead- in track on A. R., all I ever heard was "Shhhh" --like everybody else did, but since the advent of digital remastering and the Anthology version, I listened more closely to what my friends were telling me and I'm almost sure now they're correct---I actually hear "shoot me" now--and I tell you,it gives me shivers. Mind you it's hard to make out...but it's there (in the original too but it's not readily apparent)

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2007, 11:56:30 PM »

Thank you for finding the time, Alexis! I have a slow connection and didn't reload it to pick out the time of John's remark (5:50).

Nope, not from Australia, although I really must go there someday. I just loved this Aussie reflection on the Fab 4 visit. Cheers!
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2007, 12:15:36 AM »

oi oi oi aussie!  :) :) I have some friends in Brisbane (or "Brissy" as they call it)and they're all AcDc lovers (yipes!!!!) (although I do love the old Bon Scott stuff and Angus's guitar work!)

there ya go, mate

(nothing worse than a Yank trying to fake an aussie accent...pathetic, pathetic LOL)

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2007, 03:11:11 AM »

I have a friend in Perth. I tell her she sounds nothing like Paul Hogan and she hits me. It's a great relationship!  ;D

What's the topic? (Quickly looks it up)

...no, I never heard the full "shoot me" either, and I still don't sing it that way. This was one of the first songs I danced to at my community club across the street from my house. We sang "Shhhoop!" (or something sibiliant like that).

BlueMeanie

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2007, 03:23:00 AM »

Mr. M. Can you tell us exactly where you can hear 'shoot me'? 3 times I've listened now, and I'm convinced you're hearing what you want to hear! ;)

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2007, 06:26:37 AM »

Why at the Garden would he all of a sudden just sing "Shoot" then? I think that's all he ever sang to begin with. And I always thought it was shoop before too harihead! You can hear it a lot clearer on cd that it's "shoot", but I still don't hear any "me."

YXY_BlvpsUc

BlueMeanie

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2007, 07:41:53 AM »

Quote from: 216
Why at the Garden would he all of a sudden just sing "Shoot" then? I think that's all he ever sang to begin with. And I always thought it was shoop before too harihead! You can hear it a lot clearer on cd that it's "shoot", but I still don't hear any "me."

Always sounded like 'shhhhhhmn'  to me. I still hear no 'me'. Hee sang 'shoot' on the anthology version. But no 'me'.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2007, 09:31:03 AM »

I know what you mean.

THAT is scary.

Sorry - but that's silly. John wrote how many hundreds of songs? and that one line is a premonition? He's bound to touch on a gloomy subject everynow and then. In a song that is about urban isolation? This is all something about nothing.
don't follow leaders

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2007, 09:45:05 PM »

Mr. M. Can you tell us exactly where you can hear 'shoot me'? 3 times I've listened now, and I'm convinced you're hearing what you want to hear! ;)

then I have about 8 friends here in the NY area that are similarly self-deluded, or else aurally-challenged.

you're obviously convinced I've "misheard", as I'm equally convinced that I didn't.  ::)

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2007, 10:28:06 PM »

Then there are 8 other ppl I know in the NY area that are equally deluded?...or perhaps aurally-challenged?

You're obviously convinced that I "misheard", as I am equally convinced I did not.

what I heard was on the STUDIO version, not a LIVE version..!! ::)

Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.216 seconds with 78 queries.